Whats your favorite gaming console?

Discussion in 'Community' started by nyprospect, Jul 3, 2004.

1. nyprospect macrumors 6502

May 3, 2004
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    For some dumb reason, I got a kick out of AvP on the ancient Jaguar platform. It was the first and only game to scare me. It wouldn't scare a two year old now, but, back in the day, it was freaky. So, because of that one game, I dig the Jaguar.

But, among today's consoles, I like the XBox. I don't love any of them, and the PS2 has far more games, but Steel Battalion runs on my XBox... and I love SB.
  3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    In the middle of the night, with the lights off, that thing is deadly quiet. :D I still love it.

I like my GameCube for the power and quality of games but Atari Jaguar had a few good games that made it sing.
  4. woodsey macrumors regular

Nov 15, 2001
  5. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state
    gamecube definitely.
    now that i traded in my game boy advance for a gba sp, i love the game boy games too. backlighting makes the games SO much better.
  6. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2003
    Southeastern Louisiana
    Gamecube has the perfect combination of great games and great hardware.

PS2 has a large selection of games, very few that I want to play, and their hardware sucks. Definitely the weakest of the three platforms.

Meanwhile, XBox has a smaller selection of games, with even less that I want to play than what's on the PS2. Hardware rocks though.

So yeah.
  7. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    I stll get a kick from firing up the old Atari 2600 ;)

If I had to name a console, I'd go for the PS2... still think it's the most serious looking piece of kit that can slinky next to your tv and look vaguely cool (neither the XBox or GameCube can do that), and it can still knock out the goods... ;) DRIV3R demonstrates that. ;)

That said, I'm not the biggest of game players, I work too much to waste my time doing that... ;) my Mum is pretty dandy in the GTA and Getaway style games... she completed both in a couple of weeks each ;)

Personally, I'm still rather found of OutRun in Macmame ;) :D

As for scary games, Alone In The Dark 2 is a winner for me, they nailed the whole classically spooky environment IMHO ;)
  8. kuyu macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    XBOX: Not too many games, but all the cross-platform games look and play best on the box. Halo, Halo, Halo. Plus, they're easy to mod!!!

PS2: lots of games, outdated graphics, but Gran Turismo and the logitech driving force pro is AWESOME!!! Plus, GTA San Andreas will rock.

CUBE: Small selection, good graphics, weak controller. Sunshine and Zelda are great games. Metroid was dissapointing IMO.

And the winner is.... XBOX. Its excellent graphics, great games, LIVE, and four controller ports make the XBOX the best of the modern systems. I have all three, and play the box about 80% of the time. PS2 is second with about 15% play, and gamecube is third with about 5%.
  9. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I modded my xbox with gentoo linux and has a crap load of games backed up on its new 300gb harddrive. Now I dont have to flip throw my collection of games to play them, I can just play them with a click of a switch. hehehe. Oh yeah, I did buy a Samsung 30inch HDTV widescreen tv, the xbox looks much better in that format.
  10. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Jul 23, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    If you like first person shooters, the xbox is the only console that can fill your needs with more to spare. I am a huge FPS fan, and I love online gaming. The gamecube absolutely sucks at online gaming. I just traded my GC in for some cash. I never played it. I beat mario sunshine a couple of times and then it sat there.... and sat there..... I just play my xbox more. It is the most capable out of all three systems. It has a great online service, and I use it as my DVD player. The PS2 has some great games too, but the online service lets dial-up users play. That LAGS you up so bad. I hate lag, and the PS2 online lags and lags well. That leaves the xbox, the sole winner in a pile of losers.
  11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    Although it's a little long in tooth now in some repsects, I still love my PS2. Maybe it's not up to par with some xBox and GCube specs, etc., but what can I say - I love the few games that I have for it, I love the system, and that's all that matters! Plus, I'm playing games less and less now so it's a bit of a moot point for me - I'm going outside, excersing, being fit and active, playing sports, reading, writing, and spending time with my friends and family more and more nowadays, and don't have time to sit around playing games as much as I used to. (And actually I don't miss it at all!) But on the rare occasion I have an urge to play a game, my PS2 suits me just fine! :cool:
  12. tliptak macrumors regular

Aug 20, 2002
    Xbox all the way. Great games though not as many as ps2. Xbox Live kicks ass and its easy to mod which is cool.
  13. jalagl macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2003
    Costa Rica

It has the games I want to play. Even though it lacked on the RPG department (I'm getting Tales of Symphonia as soon as I see it on a store shelf), most games released on the GC are pretty solid. Metroid Prime, the Zeldas, Eternal Darkness, Soul Calibur II, etc.

I also have a GBA SP, which I play mostly for old-school RPGs.
  14. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

Jan 8, 2003
    San Francisco, California
    Anyone have a Colecovision? I loved that console, and I still have my working one. Of course, I use the emulator, but nothing's like the real thing. As far as current, I like the GameCubes the best, even though I don't own one. Some of my friends are obsessed with Smash Brothers, so, we've had a lot of "smash" parties. :D
  15. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    Yep, my brother and I had one of those along with a good old Atari. Ah, those were the days! And man, when I got my original Nintendo, was I ever blown away!!!
  16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i like my PS2, im not a huge gamer at all, but i like the selection or games for PS2 so i can play whatever strikes my fancy. i dont need cutting edge graphics or anything like that so im content