whats your favorite handheld system?

Discussion in 'Games' started by kingcrowing, Jan 28, 2006.

1. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

^^ thats it... and its ok to be nostalgic.

Even though I loved all my older systems, I think that the DS is still my favorite, espically since it can play GBA games, right now I'm playing Pokemon fire red (I got pokemon red for my original GB the week it came out) and man is it great to play that game again in all its glory! and the DS games just keep impressing me... mario brothers partners in time, mario kart, castlevania, trauma center, feel the magic, mario 64, the list just goes on and on, games I thought were dumb I'd play and then love! and then you can pla all the classic remakes for the GBA as well, I dont want this to be a this is better, this is worse thread, Just what do you like?

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Nintendo Game & Watch!

There is no way I could answer this seriously I've had hand held gaming systems since the Game & Watch and I've pretty much loved all of them. The one I spent the most time with though would have to be the original Nintendo Gameboy or the Sega GameGear.

3. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

5. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

ipod... lol, but it counts! and man, those old nintendo game & watches were awesome... but I still prefer the old skool+new skool DS

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'd say Gamegear, but it sucks batteries like a hooker sucks... well, you know.
    I'd have to say the original GameBoy, because it fit in my hand oh-so-perfectly. The DS and PSP (to a lesser extent) are too short height-wise for them to be truly comfortable for me. It would be less of a problem if they didn't have shoulder buttons. That's the price I pay for being able to hold three average size cans in one hand.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm going with the gamegear and the tiger handheld games...they were good.

Bless

8. Aarow macrumors 6502a

The only handheld systems I've had would be the GameBoy Color and the Sega GameGear. Out of those two, I'd go with the Sega.

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

:)

10. TheGimp macrumors 6502

I'd have to say the Sony PSP and the Nintendo DS. Not much else goin' down these days. I have another favorite handheld, but it doesn't run on electricity. Nevertheless we're inseparable to say the least.

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I loved this one.

This ons, not so much.

12. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Maybe the posters should have to add their age or the first handheld system they've owned, since most of the answers seem to be slanted towards systems that are about a year old.

I personally loved the Atari Lynx and the NEC TurboExpress back in the day, both way ahead of their time.

The system that has gotten the most of my handheld time is probably the original gameboy (fat model, not pocket) or the original GBA.

Worst system I've owned is probably the Tiger Game.com or the Sony PSP for the lack of enjoyable portable games (don't kill me). The Virtual Boy I guess counts too.

Most unappreciated was the NeoGeo Color Pocket or the SEGA Nomad.

13. geekologist macrumors member

geekologist

Nintendo DS

I would have to say the Nintendo DS. It has a lot better games in my opinion. The only thing it is lacking is a web browser and a USB jack so they can do firmware updates to do cool stuff. Wait for the release of the DS Lite if you are thinking of buying one. It looks really cool and might offer new features. I might sell my DS and get one.

14. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

I've owned just about every big handhled since the original game boy, GB, GBC,GBA, DS, PSP, and I've used the neogeo, and out of all of them, I'd say the DS because of the huge library of games avialable for it, and the fact that there are so many great ones

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well I've owned all of those + Atari Lynx and PC Engine TurboGfx handheld and I still think nothing beats the GB + Tetris... That combination used up so many hours of my life...

Nowadays I prefer the DS's games to the PSP, even though it is the hiddeous child of frankenstien... Bring on DS:Lite :D

16. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Nintendo DS, because it plays NES, SNES, GameBoy, GameBoy Colour, GBA, DS, NeoGeo and GameGear games :D

17. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

18. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

I'm sorry to go off topic, but I love this:
    "Windows CDs don't make good coasters. Your mug will constantly tip over and crash on to the floor."
    "Sun Microsystems are proven to be 100% more bitchin than Dell"
    :)
    thanks for making today a good day greatdevourer

19. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I have a Donkey Kong Game + Watch, i love it. The LCD has faded a bit since when it was new but its still playable.

Other than that i like my GBA and my PSP :)

Ed

Attached Files:

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The gameboy was responsible for bringing me into the world of Zelda (Links Awakening) and I was hooked on Wario Land 1, Tetris, Mario 1 and 2.

The DS has me by the gonads right now. I knew it was going to be something special. turns out it has. I've been so addicted to Mario Kart and Animal Crossing. even the GBA didn't have this hold over me, which I class as my favourite system yet. The DS just makes me smile and its so early in its life but has a fair library filled with classic titles :) I'm worried what will happen as soon as Doom DS comes out.

21. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

NeoGeo Pocket forever

I'll second that. I've only ever owned 3 handhelds. I gave the original GameBoy to my cousin after I got the GameGear. I think I traded the GameGear for something in highschool. And now the NeoGeo Pocket is the only hand held I own and it's the only console I keep in it's original box. The games are in their boxes as well.
    Mine is the Ocean Blue (army camo) model. Nothing beats the real joy stick on the NeoGeo Pocket. I need to get a link cable for the Dreamcast.
    Anyone played the WonderSwan or a GamePark? or eww, N-gage.
    I hear you can run all sorts of emulators on the newer hand helds. Maybe I'll check them out if the PS3 and Revolution turn out to be too expensive.

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'd take a PSP or Virtual Boy over a Game.com any day of the year. Of course, one of the warnings in the VB booklet says "do not use while in a moving vehicle." I wouldn't exactly call it a handheld either...

And I'm surprised only one person has even mentioned the GB Pocket. I would have thought it would be pretty popular. I remember constantly drooling over the "Play It Loud!" colored series. Ketchup, Mustard, Relish, Plain (clear), and I think Charcoal (black) were the choices.

23. shake macrumors regular

best handheld is the new backlit-GBA-SP. in graphite...

24. litosclone macrumors member