What's your favorite phish story?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by emw, Mar 14, 2006.

1. emw macrumors G4

emw

As in "I caught a scammer |------------ THIS ------------| big", not the band.

Why do I ask? Well, I got an e-mail today that floored me - not because it was an intricately styled HTML e-mail, designed to fool me into believing it was from the actual company. Not because it linked me to a web site that looked and felt like the real thing.

But because of the sheer inanity of it all, that whoever was sending this out was likely getting people to respond to this crap:

Never mind that it was addressed to someone other than me and that it was not from any "nationalcity.com" address. They weren't even trying to be clever.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Awww.. I thought this was going to be hippie stories about the band. :(

I still enjoy the variations of the original Nigerian scam.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^ I thought so too...was about ready to light it up. I'm always getting those email like 15 per day and everytime i put them in the junk section...i get even more...I can't be bothered.

Bless

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Dear MacRumors member,

This is an official notification that your credit card number is out of date in the MacRumors files.

Please click Reply in this thread and post the following information:

Type of credit card:
    Name on credit card:
    Credit card number:
    Expiration date:
    Security code:
    Credit limit:

As an extra courtesy, please attach a digitized version of your signature.

Thank you,
    MacRumors Purchasing Department ;)

Note that you can tell that the offer above is perfectly legitimate :rolleyes: and the one posted by emw is a scam, because they forgot to say "the" before "following information".