What's your favorite RAM seller?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iMacZealot, Feb 14, 2007.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I'm planning on upgrading my Rev.2 iMac G5 from its measley .5 GB RAM to 1.5 GB. What's the best place to buy RAM from? I talked to a genius at the Apple Store, and even he said that Apple RAM was a waste of money.

Where's the best place?

Thanks

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

What I usually do is get whatever is cheapest in the Frys ads. I haven't had any problems. The brands I've used in my Macs are OCZ and Patriat.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The most often recommended USA sellers on MR are Crucial *look up ^ for the link*, OWC (MacSales) and Data Memory Systems

(I'll let you guess who my recommended Canadian seller is)

The main things to look for is a dealer who knows Macs, tests and guarantees Mac compatibility for your specific model, offers a lifetime warranty, and a no-cost return if it doesn't work (no shipping and no restocking fees)

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

4. Blurg Guest

5. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Has anyone had problems with data memory system's econoram? $77 bucks for a gig is pretty cheap.

6. Christina1971 macrumors regular

I got my RAM from this place. I've had it in my Macbook all of one day, but everything seems to be fine so far, FWIW. I don't know if their prices are as good for desktop RAM, but it's worth checking out.

7. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I've only bought one brand so I'll be bias and say, G.Skill.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I definitely have to recommend CanadaRAM. I have referred a couple of my friends there and just purchased some RAM there myself. I highly recommend them especially for anyone in Canada. :cool:

9. gollum macrumors regular

Normally use Crucial.
    After researching these forums I went with 2 gb's of G.Skill in my MacBook from NewEgg for $145.98, SFSG!!!

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

OtherWorld Computing is the only one I've used for the past 6 or so years and I would recommend them for RAM and much more.

11. Fini macrumors newbie

Fini

I know this company is normally associated with PC memory, but it's actually quite decent and runs fine in any mac. Mushkin.

12. amtctt macrumors regular

OWC is great!!! I ordered from them on Monday for my Mac Pro. I paid $10 for overnight shipping via DHL, and both DHL and FedEx closed on Monday due to weather, but OWC called me up and told me i could go with UPS overnight at no extra charge, (it would have been another $5-10 so that was cool) That's some great customer service, imho. I haven't had problems with Crucial memory, but i've read bad things about some of their business practices. So i'd recommend OWC.

13. WRXHokie macrumors regular

WRXHokie

Which ever is selling the cheapest... Crucial is over priced... try Newegg.

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I hope that's not your only criteria! :eek: As with many things in life, you often get what you pay for... :p ;)

15. thebill macrumors member

OWC for me!!

I'm 130 mi from their Chicago location I have it shipped UPS Ground (their best deal), it's always delivered the next day! Suhweeet! Never had any problems but nice to have their lifetime warranty. :D

16. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I usually go with www.newegg.com. I just search through the customer reviews of el cheapo memory until I find users that report the memory worked in their Mac most users will even report the Mac model. Newegg usually has the lowest prices and they are a very reliable company with expedient shipping.

17. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Crucial, period :cool:

Other companies have good RAM, but I have NEVER had a bad stick on RAM from Crucial, their service is great, performance is great, prices are good and they have been around for a long time.

18. iGav macrumors G3

I use Corsair Value Select in my MacBook Pro, works dandy. And is £16 quid cheaper than those muggers over at Crucial. ;)

19. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Regarding Crucial, maybe it has something to do with my never actually going to the site, but checking prices on RAMseeker has had Crucial among the low end of the pricing scale for the better part of a month. I don't know why, but I'm not complaining (just wating a little longer before taking the plunge).

20. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Omni Technologies Via Ramseeker.com

I've had great success with very low prices and good quality from Omni Technologies via Ramseeker.com. If you go directly to Omni their prices are much higher. But their link from Ramseeker.com is usually the lowest available for whatever RAM you need. Been buying ram from them for years with never a defective stick. :)

21. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

My other posting disappeared so I'll say it less facetiously (sorry mods :eek: ) -- I second (third?) CanadaRAM.

Will be ordering a RAM upgrade for my 12" PB soon, after I resign myself to the reality of not having the cash to just sell it and buy a new MBP.