What's your favorite scary movie?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by NeoMac, Oct 2, 2006.

1. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

So it's almost Halloween and it's that time of the year that I love watching dumb horror movies. I remember being a kid and how those movies used to scare the crap out of me. Now I watch them and laugh. My favorites are the Halloween films. So how about you guys, what are yours?

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

3. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

The Wicker Man.

And by that I mean the original, not the crass remake that's recently been released.

4. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

The Shining is a great scary film. Well, more psycho than scary.

5. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre still leaves me uncomfortable after watching it.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

8. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

9. NeoMac thread starter macrumors regular

NeoMac

Event Horizon is a great flick. Very underated.

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The Shining
    Phantasm
    Session 9
    Alien
    Rosemary Baby

Bless

11. Miguey macrumors 6502

The Omen series...i get the chills just thinking about them...

12. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

13. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Yeah, the original Omen was unforgetable. But the only film that's ever literally kept me awake after watching it was The Blair Witch Project. That really screwed around with my head.

14. Frisco macrumors 68020

Yes The Blair Witch Project was the best scary movie I saw. Anyone know of any other movies like that?

Here's another great scary movie: The Descent

15. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I saw the Omen II when I was 16. I don't like that stuff.

American Werewolf in London is a great one. The original Halloween is good, too.

16. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

I remember my older sister let me watch "IT" when I was five years old. Big mistake- I was horrified. I thought there were clowns in my closet/under my bed, and I had to sleep in my parents room for a whole week! Now I look back, and it's just an awful 80s movie. It has like claymation and awful special effects, and horrid acting (well, except for Tim Curry). However, it is still definitely creepy in parts- like when the clown is standing in the sewer.

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Blair witch..man I laughed all the way through that movie but book of shadows was more on the scary side.

I don't like movies with gore so much but they are still fun:)

Bless

18. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Oooo, How could i forget "An American Werewolf in London"? Classic!

"I feel, a bad moon arising...."

19. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

The Shining scared me more than any other movie ever has- the kid in the finger- the little girls- the...well, you get the idea. Also, I live in Oregon and I often go to timberline lodge, which is where the exterior shots were taken, which made it far more real than any other movie, except for The Ring 1 and two, because they take place in Seattle and Astoria, two towns that I also have been to multiple times.

Psyco had the only scene in any movie that has ever made me scream- the shower scene, plus it was my first scary movie and I was 12. It also resulted in me having to take baths for the 3 weeks after I saw it, and to this day I cannot put my face into the flow of water (as the murdered woman was doing when she was attacked).

The Ring was the only scary movie to give me problems sleeping. It didn't scare me when I watched it, but afterwards it terrified me. This movie just creeped me out.

20. NeoMac thread starter macrumors regular

NeoMac

I can watch most scary movies as long as they don't involve the devil or some time of possession or thing like that. I don't know why but they give me the worst nightmares possible. I can watch Nightmare on Elm Street and that sort of stuff but I can not watch the exorcist or anything like that. The nightmares they give me leave me physically shaken. I am not sure why. To this day I can not watch those films. I am pretty much up for anything else though.

21. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

And the original Japanese is even scarier :eek:

22. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I never watched any modern scary movies until a few years ago, and now I love them. I've watched pretty much every kind, and they've never messed with me. You have to watch it for face value, and not think about the movie too much, and also know when the scary parts are coming so you can mentally prepare yourself. If not, you'll have nightmares and stuff. I watched Exorcism of Emily Rose and it was intense, but afterwards I was like "meh" and it never came back to me. The gore is easy to handle, but the demonic/psychological stuff can definitely screw with you.

23. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

For several reasons. I love Al Hitchcock. For an early 1960 film, it had great script and screenplay thanks to Stefano and Bloch. And because I was so young when I first saw it, it scared the bjezuz outa me. Like Felldownthewell, though I hate taking baths, I stung my eyes with shampoo for weeks afterwards in the shower because I would not close them. :)

Attached Files:

24. bemylover macrumors regular

1. Psycho
    2. Rosemary's baby

Those are scary movies I really like.

Alien series is great, best of that kind.

I also like American Psycho a lot, even though I would not call it a scary movie.

28 days later is nice too.

I don't like The Shining and Audition, even though they are regarded as classic. They both have one great episode each, though. For the shining it's when wife finds out that her husband keeps typing one silly phrase instead of writing a novel. And in the audition its when you first see the girl in her empty apartment with phone waiting for a call from next victim, and bag; phone rings, girl smiles, bag jumps and you scream :)

In both movies those are the eppisodes when you understand that something is very wrong there and that it is not a love movie.

I hate movies like hostel or hannibal :mad: