Whats your flavor? (Linux)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by joecool85, Dec 29, 2006.

1. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I've run SlackWare on PC and Ubuntu on PC and Apple hardware. I really love Ubuntu, strong and powerful, clean interface and easy to use. I will be taking it off my powerbook however as I've been having really intermitent wireless. I got my AE card working, which would be great, if it stayed working after restarts and stuff. And now I can't get it to work again. grr.

I've been thinking about trying slackintosh, but I may hold off. For right now I think my laptop will go back to OS X 10.4.8

As soon as I get a second hd for my powermac, it will permanently have Ubuntu on one drive.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

3. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Do you like it? Is it easy to use, fast, slow etc?

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I run ubuntu in parallels. Works well, don't have to configure the wireless, just route it over from os x :D that was the main reason i didn't have it when I had a PC, couldn't get the wireless working.

5. Mernak macrumors 6502

hmmm... Never heard of slackintosh, think i'll try it out on my iBook. I have used Ubuntu and Fedora Core 6 on the same iBook, and I have to say I like Ubuntu much better, but mainly because it seems to work better on older machines. I may install FC6 on my macbook via bootcamp.

6. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

7. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

8. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Please don't let this turn into a flame war. Linux users often lurk on forums everywhere, waiting for that one comment that pisses them off enough to start attacking users of commercial operating systems.

9. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I prefer Ubuntu. I've tried other versions, but it's the simplest to use so far...

10. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Under Parallels I run CentOS (Redhat clone), Suse10 and Fedora. I have some others, but I haven't bothered with them much. Of the ones I use, I think that the CentOS provides more of what I am looking for. I have messed around with Ubuntu, and haven't really made a good/bad decision on that one yet. As an aside, I also run Win2K under Parallels, with XP on a separate system. This is all for cross-platform testing, however I may end up with CentOS on it's own box before too long.

11. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

If you do try it, please let me know as I'm really curious how well it works.

12. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Fedora is pretty nice, and you can get your wireless work on it. Ubuntu, like you said, is also a good choice. SuSE for PPC processors doesn't work to well. I'd stay away from that for a while.

If you want your wireless settings to configure itself when your Linux Box starts up, you have to make a batch file and make sure it loads with your init? err something, google it. Anyways, hope that helps.

13. Aarow macrumors 6502a

I use Xubunu as it runs slightly quicker than Ubuntu on older hardware.

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I use Ubuntu when I have the urge to play around with Linux. It's a great favor ;)

And when I'm feeling masochistic, I get the latest Gentoo and try to get that working - with X.org and all :D

15. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I like Fedora Core. Everything's pretty cutting edge; easy install; huge range of software that's easily available (meaning both in repositories and as RPMs).

Fedora uses Gnome as its GUI, which I prefer to KDE. Actually if I'm using Linux as a workstation I'll generally put Enlightenment on it; but I prefer the Mac for that. :D

16. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

17. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

have DSL on my nano. 2 x 1gb partitions, boot DSL, mount music folder, enjoy. works well for public computing. using qemu under windows is still a great way to scare the occasional owner or manager. also very found of slax.

have set several customers up with lindows. easy, about as close to windows as it gets, and the one click install thing is easy enough for the average user.

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I used Xandros for a while and found it to be quite fun. I used it on my PC and even had it in Virtual PC on an iBook for a while. That redefined slow.

19. thugpoet22 macrumors regular

Hey are you dual booting or using Parallels? Im still trying to get fedora core 6 installed on my macbook using parallels. Currently im using Ubuntu with Parallels and i think its pretty cool but im not use to it. I dont like the apt-get package handler, im use to yum. But everything else works fine. When i tried to dual boot with fedora i couldn't get the wireless to work for nothing.

20. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

I'm using Fedora 5 until the problems with Parallels get worked out. Tried version 6 once or twice and went back to 5 for testing and playing with.

21. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

xubuntu on an old celeron 533 eMachine. It has breathed new life into that thing. Definitely beats the Windows ME it came with.

22. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I've never used it. What "flavor" do you think would be best for a 300 MHz PC?

23. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Any flavor running X-Windows will tax a 300 MHz PC. If you only run it in text mode, then any of them will do. But since the distro's are free, collect them onto DVD's and play around. Once you get past the disk partitioning the installation is a piece of cake. Then comes the learning part of Linux, unless you just want it to see the GUI part. In that case, they are all pretty much the same depending on the front end that you use, either Gnome or KDE. If the extra PC isn't doing anything else important, start with Ubuntu as it's the easiest to set up, then give Fedora a try. Make sure that you have a fairly good video card if you use X-Windows.

24. Quboid macrumors 6502

I need to get a version of linux for my ibook that i can do efective C compiling in. I Dont like the way Xcode does C codes. It really is designed for C++ so i'm thinking that linux would be better since the C language cam eout for linux.

Please help me out here. I am trying to get it for next semester.:confused:

25. leishan macrumors 6502

Ubuntu and Suse 10 seem to work best for me.

I'm thinking of trying Debian though...