What's your opinion on marijuana?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by coopdog, Mar 11, 2004.

1. coopdog macrumors 6502a

What is your opinion on marijuana, is it as bad as the media and law makes it out to be? I'm constantly bombarded by anti marijuana ads in school. The ads that say things like, "Just tell your brother you were busy getting stoned." Then they show a kid sitting on a curb, showing that he is waiting to be picked up. Then it says "responsibility" at the bottom. Couldn't you insert: busy volunteering, busy helping at school, busy studding to keep your 4.1 GPA, in place of "busy getting stoned?"

Then how about in the 70's-90's the ads they ran showing the brain of a non-marijuana user and a marijuana user. It showed how the marijuana brain was damaged. Too bad word got out that the "marijuana" brain was actually of a kid in a coma. :p

I have never seen an anti-drinking ad. Only the anti-smoking and anti-marijuana ads that claim crazy things like, "Marijuana supports terrorism." That got a bunch of bad press for it's a total lie.

I'm mostly angry about how strict laws are. So if you have enough just for personal use you can get up to 5 years?! :mad:
    Why?!

It is used by SO many people. It is even a bigger cash crop for Hawaiian growers than sugarcane!

I know some of you are open about smoking the MJ. What are your guys’ opinions on marijuana, marijuana laws, and in general? :eek:

Wasteland? I don't know why. Well it is a huge "problem" in today's society. :rolleyes:

2. IIvan macrumors regular

anti-marijuana campaigns are ----. ITs true that if you smoke it all day every day then you will be in trouble- mainly just from lack of motivation to do anything else. For most people who just use it every now and then, weekends, etc... It has no harm at all- in fact most smokers I know are just as intelligent as non smokers, and tend to be a little more friendly and easy going.

I suppose that the government is trying to push a "war on drugs". They seem to find that we don't have a right to ingest any substance we want to. The ads often quote twisted and misleading statistics, and use shock and fear to try to get through. The terrorism/drugs and this is your brain on drugs (smasing egg with pan), super bowl rewind ad etc. They are really trying to scare us. The only real negative effects I see for responsible users are the cost and legal problems if you get caught. I really hate our government doing this to us

3. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i have mixed feelings...

personally i don't care if people do it... i think its less dangerous than drinking for example...at least you can function if your driving...unless your really baked.

i don't think its a good thing for high schoolers to be doing... its kinda like tv in that you just end up sitting around getting baked...theres nothing really good about it, you just get lazy...yeah it really is just like tv

one thing i do NOT agree with is how oppressed the plant is... there are so so many useful things you can do with hemp...its really incredibly...yet we can't cause people just want to get baked with the damn thing..it really irks me when something so useful is not accesible for stupid reasons

4. coopdog thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. coopdog thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hemp is actually considered "anti-THC or Weed" It contains SUPER low levels of THC and contains another chemical that actually blocks THC's effects.

6. Steradian macrumors 6502

Indeed, they say that if we were to use hemp, that we could make major gains in environmental concerns.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Drugs are bad Mmmmkay. You shouldn't do drugs. Has... has anyone seen that mari-juh-wana?

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

well, i don't encourage it's use among minors, or drivers (at least, really stoned people). beyond that, i think it's cool.

i smoke pot most nights, if i'm not busy (which is rare anymore) i can sit and smoke pot all night, working on webpages, listening to music, whatever projects i'm doing at the time. surfing macrumors ;) If i have plans, i'll still catch a buzz before bed usually. Weekends, same deal. I don't like being stoned around the city, personal preference... but at friends' houses, or when i'm not busy, again i may well be getting high. I don't think there's anything the least bit wrong with it... i maintain a job, where i'm a Project Manager, i pay my bills and taxes, i volunteer: Mensa webmaster, Make-A-Wish Foundation Benefit Committee, civil rights litigation (soon). I drive the speed limit (except on the interstate, but come on). I challenge anyone to tell me why it's wrong for me to smoke pot (and don't give me that pot=terrorist bull****, that's absurd), or how it's destroying my life.

Again, kids shouldn't be doing it, for a lot of obvious reasons. same goes for alcohol. i won't get into that comparison tho, no doubt it will come up...

paul

9. Nanda Devi macrumors regular

Coop, I couldn't agree more with your point about never seeing anit-booze ads. Alcohol is so much more destructive to the people who abuse it than marijuana could ever be. In fact, I've really never seen any truly destructive impact from smoking weed. The worst it can really do is make you a little less motivated, a little bit lazy. But that is only with excessive use and if you use it excessively you probably have an addictive personality and feel you have to be stoned all the time, which isn't a good thing. But social smoking or even smoking a little bit every night to relax (as an alternative to booze) actually has positive effects in my opinion. It can make people more open and more friendly. It can enhance creativity and stimulate conversation on a more philosophic level.

And what does booze do for you? Well, you most definitely don't have deep conversations when you're wasted. (Over a good bottle of wine, now that's a different story ;)) And don't forget the fact that booze can KILL you, quite easily in fact, if you drink too much. On the other hand, you cannot smoke enough weed to kill you. It's physically impossible.

Alcohol abuse also destroys families and relationships left and right. Drunk drivers mow down innocent people in the road. Alcohol destroys your liver and makes you fat. The only way you'll get fat on weed is from giving in to the munchies. :)

So, instead of the bogus gamut of anti-marijuana ads out there, none of which contain a single grain of truth, where are the anti-booze ads? Let's show the father downing a pint of Smirnoff and smacking his kids around. Let's show the woman stumbling out of the bar after 6 martinis and plowing into a teenager on the way home. While we're at it, let's show the guy who's addicted to PRESCRIPTION medication and walking around in a perpetual coma.

But no, we get the fun-loving football fans with frosty mugs of Coors and the fashion models sipping Tanquerey. Now THAT'S almost as realistic as the "marijuana supports terrorism" ads.

10. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

Responsibility and moderation are the key.

I think all natural drugs are OK (marijuana, mushrooms, peyote, etc). They won't hurt anyone if used responsibly and in moderation. How can anything that might change your perspective or make you look at things differently be bad?

The laws are ridiculous. They're laws based on the mindset of the 1950's and keeping minorities down. They've become laws to protect people from themselves....so much for the pursuit of happiness.

I definitely think that it should be legalized, taxed and controlled like alcohol. We'd probably be a much richer nation with much better health care if we did.

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

C'mon, now, Rush Limbaugh went to rehab for that stuff! ;)

12. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

I agree, I don't have as much experience with the other natural drugs (shrooms are amazingly fantastic and should be studied for their theraputic properties)(peyote is impossible to get around here), but i have used hallucinogenics to go on "vision quests" when my life is in turmoil... basically it's a way to remove yourself from both your emotions and your preconceived notions of the situation, allowing you to see perspectives and options you never saw before. i think everyone should trip once every 5 years, to keep in check ;)

As for the laws, they were actually passed between 1910-1930, mostly 1918 if i remember correctly... "reefer madness", many believe, was a business tactic to remove hemp as competition from the paper and nylon industries. Makes sense to me, hemp research has been badly retarded ever since, and the excuse now is that it's not economical in comparison... well, of course it's not, we have to IMPORT the crop in most cases (despite the fact that it's one of the hardiest plants in all US growing climates, better than corn or soybeans), and mass production has never been really competitive. give it 10 years of legality before clothing, paper, rope, etc can be produced cheaper than currently... and much more environmentally sound.

paul

13. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

600 trillion dollars

That is how much the "war on drugs" has cost America in the last 50 years. Think about what the country could have/can do with that type of coin - how about iBooks for every middle-schooler in the country? And why are 99% of the anti-drug ads geared towards "tea" and not coke, H, acid, ecstasy, etc.? How about booze, prescription abusers a la that turd Limbaugh? Nicotine, caffeine and the list goes on.

What is it with the "sheep mentality" that marijuana is "very very bad" which is how a couple of "sheep" I work with describe it. They've never tried it, don't know anyone who uses it, but it is "very very bad" because they are hammered with ads on teevee and radio day in and day out and they have become so sterilized and so void of opinion that they gobble up everything that is literally spoon-fed to them by mass media.

Booze has wrecked far more lives than marijuana. In fact, I don't know of anyone who has had their life ruined by weed. And don't give me that "gateway drug" rubbish either because I have two words for you - addictive personality. If weed is a gateway drug then are those late night Shannon Tweed skin flicks considered "gateway smut?" Rubbish.

I believe William S. Burroughs, the original Inspector Lee, described it best when he wrote that if you legalized drugs the number of people using drugs would actually decrease because many people do drugs just because it is considered taboo by society.

14. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I'm not sure that I agree that all natural drugs are harmless--tobacco is natural, after all, and there doesn't seem to be a single way for humans to use it that doesn't make it seriously carcinogenic.

But I don't have any problems with marijuana (smoking it is still a cancer risk, I believe, but there are other, safer ways to use it) and I wish it were legal. Note that I have never tried it--conservative upbringing kept me clear of that kind of thing. But I have some chronic (heh heh) pains related a herniated disc and just a generally low threshold of pain and high tendency to feel aches and pains all over my body. I wish it were easier for me to get access to safe, natural painkillers with few dangerous side effects (e.g. addiction).

So at this point in my life, now that I am a little more open-minded, a little less gullible, etc., I would really, really like to try the stuff. I even recently spent a few hours enjoying reading about different breeds of marijuana you can grow, and they're varying effects. But I'm such a timid little square, I wouldn't even know where to begin to try to get some without being a nervous wreck about getting caught and fined/jailed.

I realize how silly that must sound to seasoned pros like paul, but that's simply how it is for me. :( I would ask for tips, but I don't want to get MacRumors in trouble. I do think it's use should be limited to adults, and I know we're not all of voting age here on the forum.

P.S. While writing this post, I heard another annoying anti-pot ad on XM Radio. It's saying that anyone who uses pot or condones pot use is a human wreck, but it doesn't ever analyze why this is so. There's no logic at all to it. I wish public service advertisers would spend more time worrying about real dangers like smoking and alcohol abuse.

15. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Before tobacco was bred for commercialization, and without all of the additives (i don't even want to think about them, as i sit here chain-smoking lol), it was a good deal less carcinogenic. Not to say that it wasn't. But i do agree, just because something's natural doesn't mean it's healthy. As you elude to in the next sentence, vaporization makes pot much less harmful to the body. Unfortunately, thanks to the wonderful laws in the USA, vaporizers are very hard to come by in many locations.

Not silly at all. It can be intimidating in many ways, both from a legal standpoint, and social. I know a lot of people that won't try it simply because they don't wish to get caught up in the oft-prevailing atmosphere-- drug dealers in ghettos, people acting way too cool and tough, other drugs on the scene. Truth be told, i sympathize, i too often found myself stoned and rather afraid in some stranger's house at 3am, staring at the butt of a pistol half-hidden under a couch cushion, trying to tell if the guy was going to freak out and think i was a narc. After a while, i figured out that if you stop looking for the drug scene, and simply look for the nice, mellow potheads in your scene, it works much better. Turns out there are people in every social grouping that get high, they just stay *very* quiet about it. damn near blew me away the first time i saw a guy in a suit leave his office and spark up a j with friends ;).

My friend's mom (uh, yeah) will smoke a bit now and again, when the percaset can't touch her back pain (she had a botched fusion on 6 vertebra). She's very careful about it, and it breaks my heart that she could lose her home and children (who know nothing of it) if anyone found out about her only reliable, non-liver-damaging, non-addictive painkiller. Drugs don't make criminals, laws do.

and if there's anything you don't want to post, there's always PM :)

paul

16. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realize that it's not worth the ****ing effort. There is a difference.

-Bill Hicks

17. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

I know what you are saying. Almost everyone I know who uses marijuana is a genius or almost at genius level. I have tried it, it isn’t my cup of tee. Furthermore I believe that if weed became legal; The country would save allot of money. I know in Vegas they are trying to make it legal for adults. Kids should not be using the stuff because they might go overboard. If you are a responsible adult you can make the decision to have a bit of marry Jane. I think the age limit should be 18 or 21 around there.

18. briankonar macrumors regular

if you want to know about weed...

just ask me! ha.
    i've been smoking every day since I was 13. originally started out smoking weed with seeds, and if anthing needs to be illegal it should be mexican brick weed, talk about bad for your health! if your going to smoke, you should do your best to smoke nothing but the best (no stems, no seeds that you don't need), it takes less to get you high which in turn is less damaging to the lungs. All anti-marijuana ads are full of crap, has anyone seen the one with the baby girl going into the pool and it says "just tell her parents you were getting stoned." I mean c'mon, if they had a pool i'd be smoking IN THE POOL :D (seriously though you'd be so paranoid about anything happening to the kid you wouldn't let her out of your sight, or at least i wouldn't, and i used to get high when i babysat :eek: ) everyone i know smokes pot, from my doctor, to over half my teachers i've ever had, to my therapist (i have issues :p), all my friends, etc. etc. The thing that's pathetic is that nobody is willing to admit to it unless you do first. It's almost like your a criminal just for smoking. Cigarettes have FAR worse effects on your health, and the health of those around you (have you ever read the list of ingredients? you might as well pick up a piece of dog sh*t, roll it up in some newspaper, and go to town on it) i mean what other product do you know of that says "i contain TAR," and our government still gives it the thumbs up. If half the people in our society had any balls (amazingly it works out to about half of us do! :p ) it would be quite clear that marijuana is a perfectly acceptable part of our daily routine. Everyone I know accepts it, and even when I've been arrested, cops tell me they don't agree with the law but they have to enforce it (even though they let me go, but took my stash!!!). The US is possibly the most hypocritical country on the planet. Nowhere else can you go to class baked off your ass, have your teacher reprimand you, and then two minutes later make a joke about how high she's going to get tonight. I MEAN C'MON PEOPLE WAKE UP!!!

o and for everyone who drinks, you know your drinking fermented excrement? nothing like rotting yeast to get your buzz on!!! (do people ever think about what they're ingesting? mmm McDonalds!)

19. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

20. JamesDPS macrumors regular

Marijuana is worse for you than cigarettes, on a per smoke basis. Now before you go getting all upset, remember that it's not nearly as addictive. In fact, my parents always told me that it's less addictive than caffeine (okay maybe not really saying that much) and less harmful than aspirin, and they're both physicians! I think there have been a couple negative studies lately, but the greatest risk is ingesting non-marijuana additives, such as pesticides or other drugs mixed in.

Basically, do it very occasionally and the worst that can happen is you get busted (and paranoid, sleepy, and hungry), but make it a frequent habit and you're kind of screwing yourself over.

Of course, as a friend in high school always used to say:

"God made weed, man made speed. Who do you trust?"

21. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

The natural vs non-natural distinction is ridiculous, imo. This is for everything - not just drugs. People seem to think that "natural" is better. You know what regulations there are on labeling something (food, groceries) as "natural"? None. It's not regulated... so you can put that label on whatever you want.

And what's the appeal of something that exists in nature vs doesn't? It's all comes down to molecules... it's all the same stuff.

arn

22. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I mostly agree. After all, everything has a "natural" origin. But although "natural" is an imprecise and often misused term, I think it's meant to suggest a limited amount of processing and refinement. Many drugs and food substances have undergone radical and numerous refining and mixing processes that can transform even the molecules into new and different compounds. The building blocks may come from nature, but the finished product is not, in any honest sense of the word, "natural."

And I think it's reasonably safe to say, without any hard scientific figures to back me up--I think it's self evident, shall we say--that any product which is significantly less natural is more likely to be harmful to living things because their existence upsets the natural balance that millions of years of evolution have carefully crafted. Of course, evolution is all about survival of the fittest, and that implies that nature itself possesses many threats to life. Some are chemical, found in plants. Some come in the form of sharp teeth and strong jaws. So nature is no picnic, but it's generally safer (if not more effective) than synthetic compounds.

23. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    The terrorist angle is not absurd if the source is international. If you grow your own or buy it from someone who does then no, but a lot of the south american marijuana does come from groups like FARC which run around killing civilians to effect political change.

24. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Percoset is okay stuff. They spike Oxycodone with acetomeniphen(tylenol) to partially help relieve the pain and partially to keep people from doubling and tripling up. Tylenol is hell on the liver. Hillbilly heroin and its cousins aren't too bad. She should try asking her doctor for something stronger or perhaps something with an anti-inflammatory.

25. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

I have an odd perspective and odd views to go with that perspective.

I have done pot a few time, did get stoned, but found the experience tedious at best.

I am a former cancer patient. I had lots of friends offer to get me some. I don't think that marijuana needs to be legalized for cancer patients, I will admit that it is cheaper than the alternatives(the typical anti-emetic Zofran(works incredibly well) is $300 a pill).

I think marijuana should be legalized in general though. Its a relatively harmless drug that got a lot of bad press. Legalization makes a lot of sense on many levels. First of all it would be a great cash crop. Second it would wipe out large sections of the criminal element because the margins would go to next to nothing. Why pay 10 bucks for few grams down on the corner when you mail order Kansas and get a kilo for that, including free priority mail delivery.

Legalize heroin for cancer patients. If they are on their way out they might as well go out riding a horse.