What's your party affiliation (if any)?

Discussion in 'Community' started by chmorley, Sep 16, 2002.

What's your party affiliation?

1. Democrat

8 vote(s)
  2. Republican

9 vote(s)
  3. Libertarian

3 vote(s)
  4. Green

5 vote(s)
  5. Crazy Ross Perot Party

0 vote(s)
  6. Independent/No Party

12 vote(s)
  7. Other

1 vote(s)
  1. chmorley macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Having gone off-topic in the G5 thread, I am curious what parties people here align themselves with.

2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    I'm a member of the Democratic party, but I find myself aligning with many of the policies of the Green party.
  3. eric_n_dfw macrumors 65816

Jan 2, 2002
    DFW, TX, USA

I picked Republican on the poll, but I don't nessesarily agree with them all the time.

I'd pick Libertarian except for their drug-legalization stance and lack of a stance on abortion.

(Maybe I'm an Independent then ?:confused: )
  4. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
  5. Taft macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2002
    Shutup you left-leaning, pig-headed, butt-headed jerk!

Will that get it going for you??? :p

I lean left, but I disagree with many Democrats' policies. I generally don't like like Reuplican policies, but I side with them on some areas, too.

So I'm independant, with a lot of pro-environment, pro-social services, and anti-government in your personal business sentiment.

6. evildead macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2001
    WestCost, USA
    declined to state

I am registered as "Declided to state" I dont vote party lines. I lean twards the right when it comes to some forgin policy and economic issues but I still think that there are some good programs out there (not many but.. some) I am against censorship, the entertainment industry, god in schools, i am pro-choice, religouse leaders that get to do what ever and who ever they want and get away with it. I am pro death penalty.

I voted Green party last time arround... not becuase I am a hippy or I even like them that much.. I just was not happy with the other major canadates and was hopping that the green party could get the 5% so they could get the feral campain funding and some day we could have more than a 2 party race.

7. stromie952 macrumors regular

Apr 22, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I am 100% republican

And i love it :cool:

One of the few things that really irks me about being at a rich kids school (although I'm not rich) is the high percentage of bleeding heart liberals.

Sometimes, I just feel like blowing up the entire Middle East. Is that all that bad? We can still drill through the sheet of glass that would be created. :D
  8. cleo macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2002
    Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
    I'm registered with the Green Party of Florida and am an active member of the Green Party of Pinelass County. Incidentally, if you want to know what the Greens are all about, check out our (in-progress) site at http://www.pinellasgreens.org/index4.php
  9. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    Blech, Party Affiliations

I am independent because the parties tend to be repulsive and power-hungry. I agree with some politics of the Democrat, Republican and Green party. I usually lean right because the local democrats are airheads. :rolleyes:
  10. chmorley thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2002
    Denver, CO
    My opinion

Independent, all the way. I vote Democrat more than anything else because I abhor what many Republicans stand for (e.g., anti-choice, anti-gay rights, etc.), but will vote for any candidate I think is competent and would represent me well. However, I recognize that the worst of all parties are zealots.

I have always found it interesting that when you take Liberal thought to an extreme, you get Communism; when you take Conservative thought to an extreme, you get Facism. While their ideas sound diamterically opposed to one another, they look roughly the same.

Granted, each is a bastardization of the original writer's intent, but the point is that all zealots look pretty similar.

The problem with folks like Rush is that they bash the other side so much, and try to keep from acknowledging any positive contributions they might make. While he argues he's just trying to even out what is in the media, I don't know of a far left zealot who has a nationally-syndicated radio show. I can name 4-5 right-wingers. I have no idea why that would be.

11. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    I think you hit it on the head there alex_ant...

I'm in sort of the same situation as eric_n_dfw..

So yea..
  12. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    I'm not too sure what party is favored by who and why, and I don't care. As long as people from country A decide not to hate people from all the other countries, including their own (for whatever reason) I don't care. Even though that may be a whiles off (in some theories, impossible) I can't spend my life caring.

>Woohoo! Another flame war waiting to happen.

If you can't handle the flames...

13. MacRumorSkeptic macrumors regular

Jul 9, 2002
    Southern California
    I'm a Libertarian. There are few differences between the 2 major partys as they both expand the size and role of the federal government in our lives. Libertarians would like to go back to a more constitutional form of government the way that our founding fathers had in mind.
  14. Chomolungma macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Re: What's your party affiliation (if any)?

I've learned the hard way about getting along in social situation (e.g. work, party, web discussion groups etc.), and that is you don't discuss politic and religion. These two subjects do nothing but divide people and unfortunately it makes some people question their present friendship(s).
  15. chmorley thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Re: Re: What's your party affiliation (if any)?

Which should be fine since we're neither in a social situation nor friends.

I actually think forums like this present an opportunity to discuss things you ordinarily might not. People have been very civil so far. Seems like we are respecting different opinions. Imagine that.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    I'm still waiting for the Keg Party to be mentioned.
  17. chmorley thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2002
    Denver, CO
    See, that's the kind of crap that makes me hate the Keg Party. It's always all about them. They can't stand to see someone else get the floor. It's always, "But what about the Keg Party? Everyone loves the Keg Party!"

What do they stand for, anyway? Nothing but...fun and....beer and...hooking up...

So why weren't they included in the poll? I think I am a Kegocrat (or is it a Keggitarian?).

(and still, it's civil...)
  18. ejb190 macrumors 65816

The local paper had the following quote in the editoral section just today:

"We have people on the right wing. We have people on the left wing. But what ever happened to the rest of the bird?"
  19. chmorley thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2002
    Denver, CO
    It is interesting, isn't it. Those of us who consider ourselves centrist, while claimed by both parties, seem to be unrepresented in many ways.

I also find it interesting that what is considered the "center" here would be right of center in most of Europe (and much of the rest of the world). Shows us how contextualized these things are. I think we have had the priviledge/misfortune of being isolated geographically and politically. While this has changed a little in the past year, we still often lose sight of how conservative we are on the world stage.

20. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    the independents lead the poll...why does that not surprise me?

think different they say:p
  21. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Jan 3, 2002
    San Destin Florida
    I am a republican, as if you all did not know that already. I am not an ultra-right republican that for some reason the party always is associated with. The majority of republicans tend to be more centrist in their views. For example:

I am.

Pro Life, and for the death penaltiy at the same time. And my brother is on death row. I am very defense / military minded. I think we need a large military, and should spend 20% of our budget on it. I am very pro education. I think that education is the key to break down all barriers. Social and economic barriers fall with education. I am pro gay rights, and pro church. I don't believe that church members who break the law should get away with it. I want the government out of my everyday life, and think that we pay way, way too much money in tax. I know how to spend my money better than the government does.

I think the current welfare system is a joke. I personally think that unless you are disabled then you should qualify for state assistance three times in your life for one year at a time, and not concurrent. You would not gain more income during this time based on the number of children you have, but yet, you would be given the average national income for that year. On top of that you would have state paid tution to a trade school, or college. At the end of the year, the school could help you gain a position in the community with your new training, or you could choose to gain financial aid in order to continue your education. This method empowers people, and does not berate them into being second class citizens that rely on the government to support them.

I am also pro ederly. I think we have an obligation to help those who have given us our freedom. At the same time, I think the government waste is at an absurd level, and the government should gain better control of the money they spend. So I am not your avg advertised right wing republican. I am the republican party. We are not extreamists, and we are not radicals.

Sorry so long.
  22. eric_n_dfw macrumors 65816

Jan 2, 2002
    DFW, TX, USA
    I basically agree with everything BackToTheMac just said with the following differences:
    1. I also am an advocate of educational funding, I have no problem with my LOCAL taxes going to schools. BUT, I think that the fed should have absolutely zero say in educational funding and/or administration. Schools are local - so should their funds be. (At least bring it down to state level if not city or county) I also support Voucher programs to get some kind of competition in there - everywhere they've tried it, it works.

Remember, education is not a "right" guaranteed to us by our constitution. (and I challenge anyone to find such a right it in there) It is, however, a fundamental thing that parents should take on for their children. I believe ONE of the biggest problems with students right now is that parents are too detached, they don't take pro-active approach to their children's education. If your young child is getting bad grades, ask yourself, "when was the last time I: talked to their teachers, tried to find out where they were struggling, consulted a tutor, etc...?" For far too many parent's they don't even know there is a problem until the report card comes - by which time it's usually too late. (I know, with teenagers it gets harder - but who said being a parent was easy!)
    2. Being Pro-Gay rights sounds silly to me. Why can't we all just be "Pro-People rights"? I know that you are just trying to say that you are NOT anti-gay, but when you start saying pro-anything, then people start trying to have programs to support that pro-anything agenda, and then other people's money (taxes) starts getting spent on things they never asked for it to be spent on. We shouldn't need laws that specifically are pro-gay. We should enforce the laws already on the books that make it illegal to infringe on other peoples rights; including the rights of all groups, races, religions, etc...

(Wow that turned into a bit of a rant didn't it! :eek: )

On the same side as you, I also am Pro-Life and Pro-Capital Punishment.

Pro-Life in support of innocent children
      Pro-Capital Punishment in support of justice in response to the vilest of crimes.
  23. chmorley thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I agree with the funding issue, but am a bit more dubious about vouchers. I think the jury is still out on them, as these programs are so new. Anything that improves the quality education, however, I will support. Given the way the global economy continues to evolve, this may be the single most important issue in the next 10-20 years.

I also liked how you said "pro-people's rights." Living in a state that passed a law (later overturned by the Supreme Court) that said it was okay to discriminate against people for being gay, I have thought a great deal about this.

That being said, I am pro-choice, pro-capital punishment, and dubious about the ability of humans to be able to decide either responsibly. I am also in support of rehabilitation and supervision of offenders, as these things are demonstrated to reduce risk in our communities (and affect more people than either the abortion or capital punishment issues do).

"Where there is no vision, people perish."
    --Ralph Waldo Emerson
  24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    i voted for nader. that was the last time i voted.

i answered "green" because he's the one candidate i've gotten fired up enough about to really pitch as a good vote.. and he's a green

but i'm not registered as a green

i think i'm either "independent" or no party if that exists... whatever the one is that has nothing to do with any party. word.
  25. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2002
    bat country
    glad to see that i'm not the only one who has not been lulled into complacency by our bloated federal government.

Are you tired of the government stealing your money to pay for services you dont want?
    Are you tired of politicians who increase the size of government and stifle the free market?
    Are you tired of the government telling you what you can and can't eat, watch, smoke, read, hear, and drive?

http://www.lp.org has all of your answers
    (... well, that and the bible :rolleyes: )