Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What's your reaction to what we've seen of SC2?

• It looks absolutely amazing!

Votes: 75 72.8%
  • I was looking forward to it, but I am unimpressed by what Blizzard showed us.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I am unimpressed by what Blizzard showed us, but I am still looking forward to it.

Votes: 12 11.7%
  • I didn't care to begin with, and I still don't.

Votes: 14 13.6%

• Total voters

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
Did anyone else notice how detailed the planets were in the background when they were showing scenes from the space platform?

To be honest I find those to be really distracting... I hope they just use the same generic small white dots as stars like they did in SC1... Gotta stay focused on the action! :)

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
To be honest I find those to be really distracting... I hope they just use the same generic small white dots as stars like they did in SC1... Gotta stay focused on the action! :)

I doubt that they'd go back to the blank (white star) background after showing off the graphics engine. If anything you would have to hope for an option that allows you to do away with the planets.

Mantronix

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2007
Louisiana
I don't think Blizzard will make the game with high system requirements. The game has been in development for quite some time and so it should be able to run on last 2 years systems with no problems. Also if Blizzard makes it with high system requirements they will be leaving out a huge chunk of the gaming market. Not every Joe has a top end system. That is one of the reasons WoW is so damn successful. You can run it on a crappy system and it will be still playable. My Dell laptop has 1.8mhz processor, 512mb ram, 64mb video and I could play WoW with no problems. Only time I had issues when I use to zone into Ironforge.

fan.of.M

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2007
I am really looking forward to SC2 and I am pleased that they stick to "comic graphics" instead of some fancy hyper-realistic stuff that is only suitable as a tech demo. That means I will have to pay only minor bugs for a new machine once SC2 is released :).

Winterfell

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I wouldn't call the graphics "comic." They just have a style all their own. And, if you think about it, it really benefits Blizzard more to create games that can be played on a large range of hardware, because that means there are going to be more people that will be able to play it, and as a result buy it.

And the graphics looks GREAT.

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
Now that Blizzard has the Starcraft 2 site up, and there are a number of screenshots and some gameplay videos, what is your reaction to SC2?

That Blizzard make the best cinematic footage for games! The WoW intro movie is excellent too.

Echinda

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2003
I know I'm in the minority but my reaction is: meh.

I was hoping they were going to announce a new direction for the franchise. RTS games leave me gasping for air as I try to keep up with the huge demands of a clickfest. Not the experience I like from games. The Starcraft world is great, but I was hoping for something that picked up the story and dropped the RTS.

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
The thing I'm confused about is the physics engine? Like how does one utilise physics in an RTS game? That just seems so cool, there must be something cool going on there!

Originally When I saw the screeshots I was slightly unimpressed because it looked like Starcraft 1. Reading further and looking closer at those images I have a new different, better opinion!

fan.of.M said:
I am really looking forward to SC2 and I am pleased that they stick to "comic graphics" instead of some fancy hyper-realistic stuff that is only suitable as a tech demo. That means I will have to pay only minor bugs for a new machine once SC2 is released :).

Want comic graphics, go play Team fortress 2

lasuther

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2004
Grand Haven, Michigan
I know I'm in the minority but my reaction is: meh.

I was hoping they were going to announce a new direction for the franchise. RTS games leave me gasping for air as I try to keep up with the huge demands of a clickfest. Not the experience I like from games. The Starcraft world is great, but I was hoping for something that picked up the story and dropped the RTS.

WoSC?

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
I guess I'm in the minority. I was looking forward to a Starcraft 2... but it mostly looks like more of the same to me.

It will be nice to have the updated graphics - but I guess I was looking for something a little different in gameplay, rather than Starcraft I + new graphics + some new units.

From what I've seen so far, they should have named it Starcraft 1.5 ;)

Antares

macrumors 68000
Now that Blizzard has the Starcraft 2 site up, and there are a number of screenshots and some gameplay videos, what is your reaction to SC2?

My reaction? Cheering at the top of my lungs. Literally. I left work, got into my car and let out my enthusiasm as loudly as I could. :D I've been waiting for this game for many many years.

I'm praising Blizzard for sticking with the RTS nature of the game. In fact, I think I'm going to sacrifice a Zergling in honor of this announcement. That and in gratitude for them being a loyal Mac developer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.