Whats your religion?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TheMonarch, Aug 30, 2005.

1. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I've been reading lots of threads recently, and some people here seem to be in disagreement with each other about religion, certain religions, or religions in general...

Which brings me to my question... Whats is your religion? (If any).

Feel free to bring in your opinions about your religion, or religions in general. If you don't have one, would you care to explain why? And how do you feel towards others who have one?Lets not start a huge flame war, Its to get some insight on people's beliefs...

Mine is Roman Catholic...

2. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

"My only true religion is kindness" -- the Dalai Lama.

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I'm a Southern Baptist and a student at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.

4. mpw Guest

5. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

That is a terrific quote. According to the last UK census I'm a 'jedi' although strictly speaking believing in the force wouldn't make one a jedi but lucas never really coined a term for that. Sadly i cannot manipulate objects with my mind nor can my adherence to that ancient religion conjour up the stolen plans. At any rate I don't follow mass religion but i like to feel that i would do unto others as i would have them do unto me and before anyone tries to tell me that that is jewish or christian, i think that civil values pre-date any modern religion. I don't need to believe in a creator nor fear an afterlife to do what i feel is right, and whilst it can leave you a little lonely at times it is important to realise that you are the one who makes a difference so just get on with life.

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Catholic, Atheist, 'vague sort of Christian'.

I was born/raised Catholic. Then, like many Catholics, I rebelled and became a 'militant Atheist' (the kind where I thought that if you believed in any sort of religion/deity, you were an idiot and not worth talking to.) After that I mellowed a little in college and decided to learn about the various religions, even though I was still a non-believer.

Now, I'm sort of a Christian. I follow the Christian belief system more closely than any other, although I'm still undecided on the whole 'Jesus *IS* God' thing. I suppose you could say I'm a Jew that follows Jesus' teachings; or a Muslim that ignores Mohammed.

7. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

i was born and raised a catholic, but never really believed in religion. i always thought it was a bunch of crap. just the idea that religion was used to control masses of people, and caused so many wars.

i believe in many of the teachings of the bible, but i can't stand the people that take it literally, and try to debate actual people in religion, rather than the ideas that we should try to follow.

8. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I really don't want to start an argument here cause this thread is going along nicely... I just want to point out that atheistic and other anti-religious belief systems killed more people in the 20th century than religious wars have in all other human history combined.

The Crusades: 130,000 (high estimate)
    Spanish Inquisition: 33,000 (high estimate)
    (I'm not defending these by the way)

Atheistic communism in the Soviet Union alone is estimated at 61 million.

Stats on murder throughout history at University of Hawaii:
    http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/NOTE1.HTM

And as someone who takes the Bible "literally," don't believe all the stereotypes until you talk to one of us. :D

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link, please.

10. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

61 million? Where'd you get the figure? From some John Birch Society pamphlet? The murder of millions during the Stalin's reign was horrible, but it in no way approaches that figure. Do you even know how many people lived in the Soviet Union during Stalin's time? If you accept figures like this it only shows that partisan rhetoric is more important to you than fact.

OK, I checked the source of your information and it is from a very, very conservative site. The only way you get anything approaching these figures is if you total all the deaths from famine, war (Civil War and WWII), natural deaths over the years, and the Gulags. How it is any Soviet's fault for waging war against Hitler is beyond me. Those tens of millions souls rest squarely on the shoulders of Hitler. Here is a much more likely estimate of the numbers involved in Stalin's murderous rule.

wikipedia

More importantly, don't make the mistake of assuming atheism is the same as communism, much less the same as Stalinism. It would be like saying the Third Reich, Mussolini's Italy, and Franco's Spain represented Christianity. No sane person would make either claim.

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Not that this deals exactly w/Herb's example, but WWII killed a few people.

Mitthrawnuruodo,
    No need to be the repost police. Both those threads are months old and one was locked.

MacAztec,
    Are you an anarchist as well as an atheist?

Herb,
    Don't worry being the first car to jump the track. This thread is gonna be a track wreck eventually.

And to help keep this OT:

Christian that has become rather cynical towards organized groups that require and promote unquestioning obedience.

Lethal

12. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I worship Cheetos and Chester the Cheetah is my savior!

I have no idea where that came from. :confused:

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Well, you are from Canada. ;)

Lethal

14. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Christian.
    Protestant
    United Methodist

(He is risen) :)

15. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

That site counts 4.35 million deportations as part of the 61.9 million "democide"d. So clearly that doesn't equate to murder.

The 2.5 or so million "documented" wikipedia deaths seems a mite low, on the other hand. Part of the problem is what you aggregate. Do you include the people who starved during collectivization? Seems somewhat fair to me to do so. Do you include the civil war? That doesn't make sense to me. That's certainly partly the "fault" of the whites, not to mention the US, British, and other invaders (who didn't actually engage much of anyone, but still).

As for the Crusades and Inquisition only killing 33,000 and 130,000 people, compare that to the populations at the time. 20th century populations are what? 10-fold higher than Crusade or Inquisition populations? Seems like a fair adjustment to multiply.

Oh, and on thread. I'm not concerned about my personal religious affiliation. I do not believe in any religion I've heard of.

16. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I agree, religions have 2 things they want your $$$ and your mind. God never instituted any religion, MAN did and hence they all are screwed up. The teachings of Jesus rule though, imagine love God and then your neighbor as yourself. Wow. Its sad that man has twisted these teachings for their own selfish interest.

18. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

19. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Amen!

I'm a christian.

::20ROGERSC::

20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I suppose Paganism is the closest I get to a religion.

I love trees. :)

21. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

22. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There have been wars throughout history to increase people's territories and ideologies (capitalism v communism etc) but in just listing the Crusades and the Inquisistion which were in the Middle Ages, you are underestimating other more recent wars/conflicts which had their roots in religion.

WW2 was at least partly a religious war to wipe out the Jews, the Yugoslavia and Rwanda genocides were due to religious intolerance from one group to another. While we might argue the current fighting in Afghanistan/Iraq is a war against terrorism, to Muslim fundamentalists, it's one of religion.

I'm not religious but I believe that people should have the freedom to believe in whatever they like - Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism, Muslim etc - and worship accordingly. But I expect them to have similar tolerance and not assume that everyone else's belief structure is wrong because they're not a member of their particular faith. I find fundamentalists and the missionaries of any faith who have destroyed native beliefs in the misguided belief that there is the only one that matters particularly annoying. I believe that the society we live in should have secular laws so that no one faith has priority or has individuals being discriminated against.

23. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew