What's your set-up? The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mr. Monsieur, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Mr. Monsieur macrumors 6502

Apr 21, 2004
    So...I think I've seen nearly all the posts on people's set-ups, but they're scattered around a bit...so I thought I'd do a poll of sorts, to find out what people are using, what they wish they had bought instead, what equipment to stay away from, etc. Please sound off on pre-amps, mics, cords, keyboards, etc!

[PS: for my own needs, I'm trying to glean info regarding recording acoustic instruments, keyboard, and vocals on my iBook through an external mic as inexpensively but still as professionally as possible]
  2. TheBunnellFarm macrumors regular

Nov 20, 2003
    M-Audio Solo-M-AUDIO Radium 61-Shure SM58

And me and my Alvarez 5014

Vocals, Keyboard and Accoustic Guitar

I have a Power Mac G5 2.5 Dually and GarageBand 2

one fat cat..me
  3. juhani macrumors member

Nov 30, 2004
    All over the place (UK at this moment)
    Basically I'm using just my PB and my Gibson. Between them V-Amp2. Not very good sounding pre-amp but the best option if you're short of money.

Now what I'd like to purchase is:
    Mesa/Boogie Rectifier Recording Preamp
    Some good audio interface like M-Audio 410 or sth similar
  4. TheBunnellFarm macrumors regular

Nov 20, 2003
    I got a M-AUDIO SOLO for $168 delivered, it's great, they usually cost $199 delivered and retail for $249 it does almost everything the 410 does except with fewer ports , no problem for me as I'm just using my guitar and vocals and Keyboard for now, this is an inexpensive alternative you might want to look into..
  5. MEhockey macrumors newbie

Mar 16, 2005
    Greeting fellow garage band-ers,
    I am new to the mac world so this thread is great for to see how others are using garage band. Currently I am using a tascam 424 4 track as the preamp for my guitars and vocals, I connect the L/R out on the 424 to the stereo in on our new G5 iMac. It seams to work pretty well, though I have nothing to which to compare. Am I missing anything by not having a specific use pre-amp?
  6. Mr. Monsieur thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 21, 2004
    a good deal, indeed! where did you find that?
  7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    It all depends on dollars. Preamps will run from $100 to several thousand, with higher end computer interface/preams in the $600 - $1100 range, depending on number of inputs and features. I started out with the 424, and although it's an OK Cassette multitracker, the preamps aren't anything to write home about.

Reasons you would upgrade to a dedicated preamp:
    The conversion will be quieter than the 16 bit A/D convertors built into the Mac because you'd bypass them and go direct in by USB or FW
    The preamps would be cleaner than the 424,
    A preamp that is one step up from the entry level will have a balanced XLR input for the microphone, for less interference, and 48V phantom power for better mics that require it,
    A decent preamp will alsohave a hi-impedence input or switch for plugging in the guitar. An electric guitar sounds dinky plugged straight into a mic input like the 424's,
    A higher end preamp could also include EQ, compression and/or effects such as a tube stage or guitar-based distortion and cabinet simulation,
    You can use an outboard preamp with a laptop mac or Mini that may lack an audio input.

Edirol makes a line of interfaces, as do M-Audio, Steinberg, Digidesign and others, the Edirol UA 700 at about US$600 has a good mix of vocal and guitar effects and takes the plkace of a small mixer for solo recording.

I've got a Digidesign Digi002 Rack 4 channel Firewire interface, and someday soon when I'm not working 14/7 I'm going to hook up the Tascam 424 and port over all my 20 year old tracks from cassette.