What's your subculture

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mgargan1, Feb 28, 2007.

1. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

I don't know what it's like in other parts of the world... but within the states we have our culture, then we have sub-cultures...

For instance, some people in certain parts of Texas act differently than some people in New York City, who act differently than people in Los Angeles.

I for one have lived in the Washington, DC area my whole life, so I have a very eclectic culture. There are many different types of people around me every day. I have been told that I have a "tv talk" culture. I sound and act like the people who report the news.

So my question to you is, are there different subcultures where are you from... and which subculture do you associate yourself with mostly.

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Northern, VA but not as news anchorish as you sound. I went to school in TN and people there say that my wife and I talk like people on TV ... clearly without an accent.

Generally though our news is world news, something my wife and I are really, really sick of. So sick of it in fact we are moving to Colorado in the coming months. There's just too many people, too much traffic and business here. It feels like people only live to work around here. YUCK!

3. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Yea, Northen Va traffic is horrible... especially rt. 66. It's like a parking lot no matter what time of day!

4. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

I act like Beelzemon from the Digimon Show. Just kidding:D
    Actually, my subculture is Eastern Minnesotan-Chicagoan (I go to Chicago a lot, it's my 2nd home).

5. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

6. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

Standard early middle aged mid-life crisis sort of culture. God, i used to be so much FUN to be around............:(

7. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

(looking at wikipedia...)

I guess prep would be the best as bad as that sounds. I don't really know all the subcultures out there. I dress like one (Polo, A&F, J.Crew, Lacoste, etc), I don't think I entirely fit the profile of the completely stuck up attitude. I am concerned with looking my best and doing my best (athletically, academnically, socially), and as a teenager I am very materialistic like most.

My parents aren't WASPs exactly. There isn't a ton of family money though my grandpa was an attorney in NYC and so was his father. That said, my parents have done quite well for themselves. We have a nice new house in a nice (yet very boring) town, a summer home on the beach, we used to own a 3 family house as an income property.

I play "preppy sports" including soccer, lacrosse, and golf. I used to do competitive swimming and tennis. I used to sail too until someone stole our small sailboat. It was never recovered.

I guess some ways I fit into the "straight edge" category too.

8. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Left-Wing.Liberal 60's Hippy and DAMNED PROUD of it!

9. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

Southern and Proud

I am a cross between a Good 'Ol Boy and old South Gentleman. I was born in the Buckhead section of Atlanta, but I spent a lot of time as a youngster on the family farm. I am a college grad, was in a fraternity and work in a bank. However, I hunt and fish and drive a four wheel drive SUV. So I guess my sub-culture would be Southern!

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So, by subculture, are we talking about some sort of location-related culture? Hell, I dunno. I grew up in suburban St. Louis and go to college in a small rural Missouri town called Rolla, and I'm neither a rich, snobbish yuppie like everyone in the 'burbs, nor am I a trailer trash redneck like everyone in Rolla.

If we're following stereotypes, my political views would make it seem like I'm from somewhere such as San Francisco or Seattle, yet, I've never been west of Kansas City.

I suppose I'm out of place :( :D

11. eMac4ever macrumors regular

eMac4ever

Looking through the list on wikipedia.org, I would describe myself as the following:

• Kawaii
    • Japanophile
    • Nerd
    • Urbanite
    • Conspiracy theorist
    • Backpacker

12. CipherMe macrumors newbie

:p Native born son of the great Republic of Texas!!!!

13. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I have no idea, i guess i would go along with the other people from Northern VA :confused: