What's your surgery?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by floriflee, Feb 21, 2006.

1. macrumors 68030

floriflee

It seems nigh impossible to go through this life without having some run in with a broken bone or some body part gone awry. So.... what's happened to you? What surgeries have you had? What accidents/events have lead to strained or broken body parts?

Me?

My surgeries:
    -Adnoids removed and tubes in ears when I was two years old. I don't remember it, but it's in my medical history.
    -In-grown toenail removal. I was awake, but they still had to cut into me and use local anesthesia.
    -ACL replacement surgery. I was completely out, thank goodness. Next Tuesday is the 3rd anniversary of the surgery. Tore it snow skiing down a hill where I caught an edge mid-turn. I shouldn't have done that last run of the night.... Rehab was a BEAST!

No broken bones, but a couple of sprained ankles.

Edit: Stitches when I was about two or three after cutting my thumb on some glass (three stitches).
    Wisdom teeth removal

2. macrumors 68020

I haven't had any surgeries.

I haven't broken any bones.

Is there something wrong with me?

3. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You're young.

4. macrumors 6502a

ibook30

1 Surgery

I had a fold added to my ear when I was young. Apparently- if it my ear had not been folded - it would have grown away from my head instead of beside it... probably not a good look!

5. thread starter macrumors 68030

floriflee

Do you get out much? Maybe you're just extremely lucky. If so, please spread the luck. :)

6. macrumors 65816

stonyc

Hmm...

Meniscus (cartilage) tear in my left knee from practicing Tae Kwon Do, this was around age 17.

Meniscus and ACL tear in my right knee playing street hockey, also strained the MCL... around age 20.

Elective custom waveform LASIK (20/10 in left, 20/15 in right) last year.

No broken bones, well unless you count a chronic stress fracture in my right foot from excessive running (has since healed, ie. no recurrence in the past 6 years or so).

7. macrumors 601

eva01

8 ingrown nail surgeries

1 lateral release surgery

1 broken nose

1 ****ed up knee and shoulder.

8. macrumors 68020

Well I play Lacrosse. One of the more dangerous sports. :) But I am 14 so I still have a long life of bone breaking and surgeries ahead of me.

9. macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Knee arthroscopy when I was 17. Initially a basketball injury, pre-surgury reinjury was playing soccer.

10. macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I banged my head on a wooden stare chasing my sister when I was three. Still have a scar on my forhead (and received stickes)

I had a hockeys tick go through my lip in 7th grad ein Gym class. I could fit my pinky finger through my chin and touch my teeth and tongue. Stupid girl didn't even get called for High Sticking! - 7 stiches

I had a cist removed from my right thigh when I was 15. - 5 stiches

I've broken my left big toe twice, once when I was 12, once when I was 13..

I had major reconstructive surgery on my left knee. Minimal stiches, 6 months recovery, had to learn how to walk again.

Months after my return from work, some illegal immigrant left chicken wire under the drop off from the house into the garage. I was carrying a spool of wire, didn't see it, stepped down, and sliced my right calf open. - 8 stiches.

11. macrumors Core

iBlue

had a subdural hematoma evacuation (they removed a blood clot from my brain) it was the result of a skull fracture. honestly it wasn't that bad; i had a root canal that was more troubling to me than that surgery. i just didn't like having to be awake for it. all is well now, my hair grew back and i have a little tiny scar. the whole thing sounds worse than it was.

i had my wisdom teeth removed surgically as well (4 full bone impaction) and the complicated delievery of my son, but i don't wish to discuss that in detail.
    i've had MANY MANY injuries but since this is about surgery :p

12. Moderator emeritus

Well... ;)

Just went in for the 2nd time a couple of weeks ago and got an email from my surgeon on Sunday saying that a 3rd procedure will be necessary.

Joy.

BTW: Routers rock, USB modems suck... as I've just discovered in the last 30 mins. Netgear, I love you.

13. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Breast implants. :eek:

14. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Ugg

Gallbladder removed and surgery to reattach the retina in my left eye. The last wasn't very fun as I was under but awake during the process. I'll never, ever forget the feeling of clanking instruments in my eyeball.

15. emw
    macrumors G4

emw

My only set of surgeries was as a 6 week old baby. I had to have a part of my intestine removed (along with the added bonus of losing my appendix). Legend has it that the odds of my survival weren't exceptionally good (according to doctors), and that since I did survived, I played the "I could have died" card for most of my childhood (according to my brothers).

Since then, so far so good, as I've had no other surgeries.

16. macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I had to have penis reduction surgery. The damn thing was just too big.

17. thread starter macrumors 68030

floriflee

After all the kids have come I'd like to get lipo to get rid of the big butt that just won't go away no matter how hard I try. Depending on what else changes after kids... may need to add a few more things to that list.... :D

18. macrumors regular

edge540

I had a broken fibula / slight break in the tibia. Had to go under completely and get a plate and 8 screws in my leg. Happened last October and still cant run perfectly or anything, takes time to heal i guess. Happened a month after i broke 3 bones in my foot too, so that semester completely sucked. I also had my 4 wisdom teeth out last summer.
    Thats it for me...

19. thread starter macrumors 68030

floriflee

How did you have all this breakage is such a short period of time??

20. macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I've been lucky enough never to require any surgery. I've never broken any bones, either.

I'm probably tempting fate by saying that and will no doubt come a cropper at some point tomorrow... :p

21. macrumors 68030

nbs2

When I was 2 I split my big toe in half. It got stitched back together. When I was 19 I had a fatty cyst removed from the back of my leg (by an OB/GYN....long story). And last year I had my wisdom teeth removed.

All in all, a rather boring life for me.

(oh, broken bones? one thumb and one wrist - both playing soccer :))

22. macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Was it because you have a vagina on your leg?

23. macrumors 68000

Abulia

Broke a leg (left femur) but no surgery.

Had LASIK on both eyes.

Had two sinus surgeries to "clean me out" and correct a deviated septum.

Had my stomach scoped for possible ulcers, but that was outpatient and I was awake.

Two oral surgeries to remove wisdom teeth. I was out. Also two root canals that I was also out for. Dental work is the bane of my existence, it seems. :(

24. macrumors demi-god

MacRy

Broken:

Left Femur
    Left Ankle
    Right wrist
    Three fingers
    Two toes
    Neck
    Back
    Nose
    Ribs

All but the neck and back seperately (car accident) and the rest through skateboarding and general accidents :)

Surgery:

Bridge put it nose
    Tonsillectomy
    Fatty tissue removed from chest
    4 wisdom teeth out
    2 ingrowing toenails removed
    Lots of stiches for cuts and scrapes.

25. macrumors 68030

nbs2

Ok, now I have to explain it....it involves religion, but not to the point that this thread shouldn't get moved :D
    Anyhow, I was on my mission (I be Mormon) in Chile. We had a mission Dr, and you have to remember that going on a mission is something that a person volunteers to do. Anyhow, this Dr. was retired and he and his wife were assigned as mission Drs. He was an OB/GYN by trade, but now he was responsible for helping about 1600 young adults deal with various ailments, from headaches to anything that didn't require hospitalization (we went to the hospital for that...). Anyhow, I developed a small fatty cyst no the back of my leg. When I would bump into it, it didn't hurt, but it would let me know it was there. I had two options - remove or let it be. I figured why not take it out. So he did. Real simple outpatient, local anestethic type thing.