Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrStrangelove

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2006
6 knee surgeries.

My last being a ACL reconstruction/full replacement-- patella tendon graft.

Painful but my knee has never been better. It's been 9 years since. I wonder how long these things last for?

iSaint

macrumors 603
vniow said:
Since this thread was brought back, I might as well mention that my first surgery aside from stitches is next Wednesday. My wisdom teeth grew in funny and they can't just pull them out, they're going to have to cut into the gum and jaw and break it up before they remove it. I have four that need to come out eventually but there's two that are really a bother. :eek:

According to the doctors I talked to it'll put me out for at least a day, apparently its kinda invasive. I've never had anything quite like this done before so I don't know how I'll react to it. I guess it'll give me an idea about how my body recovers, I still plan on having some more intense and invasive work done (not in the mouth thankfully) in about a year to a year and a half from now so this can be seen as sort of prepatory.

Geez, my mouth is going to have the most action in the past month than it has since my ex-girlfriend. :rolleyes:

LOL!!!

I had three cut out when I was 23 or so. It was done by a dental surgeon on an outpatient basis. I slept for a day and a half and was fine after that. You won't remember anything in all probability.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Colon resection at age 17, and a handful of other minor surgeries since then, for Crohn's Disease. Oh, and of course, arthroscopic knee surgery around age 20.

I had my wisdom teeth removed at some point in my youth, but I guess I never thought of that as surgery.

P.S. Resection = cut out a foot or so in the middle and then stitch the two loose ends back together.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Chronologically:

Took off a mole next to my eye. I was 2, could have interfered or something

Stitches for hitting my head on something-don't remember.

Broke left humorous

Broke off most of my 2 front teeth. Had to be reconstructed.

Broke radius completely-car door opened into me while biking. Couple pins to set it correctly. Cast from my wrist to arm pit for 8 months.

Skiing accident (on a warm up run before a race): Fractured bone bellow eye socket. Hyphema (int. bleeding) in left eye. Had to reattach retina. Major road rash on the face. Had to keep still (sitting up) with eyes patched for 2 weeks straight in order to get the bleeding to stop. No TV, reading, movement of any kind. I slept sitting up. That was fun.

Cracked a rib and minor fracture in hand playing lacrosse. The usual.

Other than that though, I have been pretty lucky. Clearly the skiing accident was the worst, but I am very fortunate to still have vision in the left eye (20/20 actually). I do still see small black spots from debris though-but have learned to ignore them.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
Snapped my left arm twice,
Fractured hip,
A bunch of sprained ankles,
Many broken fingers/toes and many other minor injuries.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
DrStrangelove said:
6 knee surgeries.

My last being a ACL reconstruction/full replacement-- patella tendon graft.

Painful but my knee has never been better. It's been 9 years since. I wonder how long these things last for?

According to my doctor, you'll have arthritis in that knee in about 21 more years. Lucky us.... :)

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Lyle said:
Colon resection at age 17, and a handful of other minor surgeries since then, for Crohn's Disease. Oh, and of course, arthroscopic knee surgery around age 20.

I had my wisdom teeth removed at some point in my youth, but I guess I never thought of that as surgery.

P.S. Resection = cut out a foot or so in the middle and then stitch the two loose ends back together.

The sister-in-law has Crohn's. Man, after all the graphic retellings of her worst episodes (not to mention her descriptions of the internal workings of her colon) I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I guess, though, supposedly once it's diagnosed it's one of the more manageable diseases, right?

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
floriflee said:
The sister-in-law has Crohn's. Man, after all the graphic retellings of her worst episodes (not to mention her descriptions of the internal workings of her colon) I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I guess, though, supposedly once it's diagnosed it's one of the more manageable diseases, right?
Heh. Yes, I purposely left out the gorey details of the "handful of other minor surgeries." It's not one of your more glamorous diseases. ;)

I'm currently enrolled in a drug study which has really helped me out in the disease-management department, but for a majority of my life it was a real struggle to have a normal-ish life. I hope that your SIL is doing well.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Ahhhh I can't even read this thread it makes me squirm.

So far not surgeries... thank goodness! No stitches, no wisdom teeth removed, no tonsils removed, no appendix removed. Far as I know I'm whole.

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2005
I have a bunch of permanent metal screws (and a plate) in my right foot after a shattered heel had to be corrected surgically. It's taken the better part of 2 years to regain full function, and even now my flexibility/balance isn't 100 percent and I occasionally feel a little ache or pain in there, and some ongoing tingly/numb nerve sensations. But since I'm not an athlete or anything, my life is essentially back to normal and I'm grateful for that. I can't imagine what people did in previous centuries when this surgery wasn't possible. I guess they just wheeled themselves around....

count chocula

macrumors 6502a
i'd never broken a bone until april 20th. i was playing basketball, and i'll explain how it happened if anybody wants, but to put it as short as i can: the ligament got pulled off the bone in my ankle, ripping the bone apart and taking chunks of bone with it. an avulsion fracture. i havent been able to play basketball (which is what i do during almost all of my free time). i find out next wednesday if its healed. its really annoying for me because i was soooo close to dunking for the first time, and i'm sure if i hadnt broken my ankle, i would be able to dunk right now. :( :mad:

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
Ugg said:
Gallbladder removed and surgery to reattach the retina in my left eye. The last wasn't very fun as I was under but awake during the process. I'll never, ever forget the feeling of clanking instruments in my eyeball.

OMG. That has got to be the most horrible thing I've ever heard.

I had a dental surgery while awake. (you should floss everyday-- just trust me) And that was the most horrible thing I've been thru. Just like you feel the waves on land after spending a day boating, I felt the numb knife into gum and bone feeling for 2 days. I can't imagine the feeling of that happening to my EYE!

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
I've had one real surgery... but it's something I never talk about.
I've had a total of 8 teeth removed in 2 oral surgeries (1st for braces, 2nd time wisdom).
I need to have surgery on my right shoulder to fix loose tendons or something (I've dislocated it 6 times).
Never broken any bones
I've had stitches too many times to list.

Two abodominal tear repairs, one operation (basically a really high-up hernia) '05
Scope left shoulder '93
Break and reset right ankle '94
Exploratory surgery after a rock climbing accident. '92

Edit: Having just gone back to start of thread...
every single finger and toe, at least once.

exeterbohemian

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
brooklyn
well, the only real 'surgery' i've ever had was when they took my wisdom teeth out. i found the swiftness of the anaesthesia to be overwhelmingly fascinating. 'am i supposed to feel tire...(?)'. next thing i know i'm in another room sitting up with a mouth full of gauze and a head full of painkillers. what a fun week that turned out to be. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.