What's *your* TARDIS?

Discussion in 'Community' started by slightly, Jul 17, 2003.

1. slightly macrumors regular

slightly

Hm, a little embarrassing to have your first new thread locked down on the first post. :(
    Let's try this again:

If you had a working TARDIS in your house, what would it disguise itself as so as to blend in?

Mine would be a dust-covered ball of fluff.

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

What is a TARDIS?

I never heard of this before.

3. slightly thread starter macrumors regular

slightly

I can see this is one of those threads that's just going to last and last...

4. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

*is confused*

can you explain to us all what a TARDIS is? me thinks of sardines...

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

it's either a spaceship that can morph into things, or a shareware utility that syncs the system clock with the atomic.

this was far too specific of a thing to post with no explanation tho. Not a good way to impress people.

pnw

6. cc bcc macrumors 6502

-Time And Relative Dimensions In Space?

edit:

-Technological Advancement in Relational Databases and IS?

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

The Tardis was a time machine used by the British Sci-fi character Dr. Who, a "Time Lord" over a twenty odd year career in the 70s, 80s and 90s. The machine had a chameleon circuit that could make it appear as any object, but unfortunately Dr. who's was stuck and appeared as an old London Police Box.

The Tardis was "transendentally dimensional" i.e. it was bigger on the inside than the outside...:D

Tardis was an acronym, but I can't remember what for.

The Doctor was played by many actors over the series career, every time he died, he transfomred into a different actor. Tom baker was my favourite, but the classic doctor was Sean Pertwee.

So, what slightly wants to know is: if you had a shape shifting time machine that was bigger inside than out, what shape would you make it?

8. macguymike macrumors 6502

Re: What's *your* TARDIS?

A DP 2GHz PowerMac G5, of course. :D

9. slightly thread starter macrumors regular

slightly

Hate to think I was trying to impress you, paulwhannel...

...but really, people, come on, a TARDIS. I can't believe nobody has heard of this, unless you're all twelve year olds living on Easter Island or something. It's not really that difficult. Normally, see, it's shaped like a police box because the chameleon circuit's broken. So, if it had a working disguise mechanism, how would it disguise itself to blend into your house?

And to think, a thread about pissing your pants got 450 posts. Ye gods.

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

God, i do love newbies.

btw, everyone knows what pissing your pants is. Only one person in like 8 knew what a TARDIS was...

pnw

11. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Well, there are several ways you could go.

You could start with the practical, ie) a car.

You could do something that might blend, like a wardrobe. Actually "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" is what I was thinking of.

You could do something unexpected like a full lentgh mirror. Wouldn't even have to close the door. And it would be cool to freak our your friends by stepping through a mirror.

That's everything off the top of my head.

12. jadariv macrumors regular

It's funny, i knew exactly what the thread was about from the title. I didn't miss an episode of the show. But i am in my thirties and it was rerun twice a day on PBS all through the eighties.

Yeah, those were the days. Get home from school. Watch Doctor Who at 4 and Jack Horheimer:Star Gazer at 4:30.

13. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I would disguise mine as a large ass.

The enterance would be... you know where, and nobody would want to enter it, so it would stay hidden.

I don't know what my parents would think if they saw a large ass in my room though... ;)

scem0

14. jadariv macrumors regular

Maybe your dad would put it to work chopping wood.

15. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I didn't realise anyone in the US liked Doctor Who, I would have though it looked too amaterish compared to the US TV shows of the time. The only reason I know what a Tardis is, is because my mum was into doctor who when she was a child.

Anyway back to the question, I would make it look like a cupboard. But what would be even better would be a portable wormhole generator that I could use to travel anywhere in the world. It would save a lot of them when I go to see my family in the US at Christmas.

16. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

slightly -- Most of the top posters only range in the 20's range, barely reaching to the point when they might have see the show you refer to.

I myself haven't seen the show, I would probably transform into a buddhist monk, such peaceful lives. :)

17. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

It has a bigger US following then you might think, the thing is that it was just something different and that attracted an audience. I was never as big a Doctor Who fan as my brother was, I tend to go for Red Dwarf when it comes to strange British sci-fi :D

18. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Thanks for clearing that up. Now I can ignore this thread in good conscience. Let me know when someone starts a "Prisioner" thread.

:p

[EDIT: Thought better of any attempts at political humor in a non-political thread.]

19. slightly thread starter macrumors regular

slightly

"Newbies", Mr Whannel? (puts hands to lapel) I remember the internet when it were all fields! :)

Good answers tho. I think I'll amend my original submission and disguise it as an old shoe.

S

20. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

don't be too jealous... resistance is futile.

my tardis would be a dongbag.

21. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mine would be probably the combination of the two crow puppets resting in my room.

Although I can change the time around me in picoseconds without a TARDIS.

(walks to kitchen to get a snack)

:eek:

22. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Am I the only one that got this joke? Come on, that is way funny.

P-Worm

23. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

haha. agreed.

missed the post on my first skim...

good stuff.

24. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Mine would be a column that didn't attach to the roof. (A' la "The Master") Real stealth. :rolleyes:

Some of us Americans know what a TARDIS is. :D I found some JellyBabies once in a store. (The favorite candy of Tom Baker's Dr. Who rendition.) I was so excited (Hey I was like 12. :)), they were pretty good. Before I found them in the US, I figured I would have to go to London to try some. :)