Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
But in group chat outgoing from one phone is also shown on all other phones in the chat

Precisely what I am saying... It shows as 1 outgoing (my phone) and if there are 10 people in the group each of them will have an incoming message... So 9 incoming messages...

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i wish there was a mac version. its so annoying to reply to friend on your phone while u are actually on your laptop anyway

Precisely what I am saying... It shows as 1 outgoing (my phone) and if there are 10 people in the group each of them will have an incoming message... So 9 incoming messages...

isnt it send to the "group" itself and people who join just happen to see whats written? so its technically just one

chrisblaze

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2008
I'll just use iMessage.

iMessage is good if all your friends have iPhones. But when you have international friends, a lot of them have BB, and Andriod phones but its free texting to international numbers. Oh and when iMessage fails and sends and international text.. it will be more than a dollar.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I installed it and checked my 837 contacts
Nobody I know is using this now, much less when it goes subscription

I know it is very popular among others, but it doesn't help me at all

837 contacts..... hot damn McDawg your little black book is positively bulging at the seams ;)

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
iMessage is good if all your friends have iPhones. But when you have international friends, a lot of them have BB, and Andriod phones but its free texting to international numbers. Oh and when iMessage fails and sends and international text.. it will be more than a dollar.

Friends don't let friends own Blackberry.

Xano

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
so many free alternatives out there!

MessageMe is growing very fast, much better then Viber and WhatsApp.

If they go for a subscription Model: RIP WhatsApp

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
Great App I would pay more than $1/ year if given the opportunity to do so
People expect everything for free.. so what if they decided to charge a lousy $1 a year.... I'll use iMessage :D sure every single person you know has an iPhone ...NOT

canadianpj

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
This is perfectly reasonable. I think we're going to see more apps start to do this as the "one fee forever" method is not going to work long term. For all the use I get out of the app $1 seems very trivial.

iMessage is less of an attractive option if you are messaging people who are not on iOS.

noiceT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Catalina Wine Mixer
Strange move.. subscription on anything (be it only $1) is a big influence on whether the majority of people will use the app. No one likes to "feel" locked into something even if its for $1.

ItsWelshy

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012

This either says something about your 837 friends, or someone is telling porkies.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
This either says something about your 837 friends, or someone is telling porkies.

Exactly what would this say about them?

To be technical, I said "contacts", not "friends"
Many of them are business contacts mixed in with friends, family, etc.
And apparently none of them feel the need for this app, and neither did I

I communicate mainly with my wife and kids through texting, and we all use iMessage

dammyonline

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2010
London
£.99 isnt a lot to pay yearly for whatsapp but its more the principle behind it. I initially bought the app as it offered me a lot of amazing features for a one off fee. Having to then be expected to pay a yearly subscription is somehow a breach of the original contract.

Anyhow having read further, it seems the subscription model only appllies to new users
http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/18/4121940/whatsapp-for-ios-moving-to-subscription-model-this-year

Regarding those that say its only a pound/dollar, think about it, what if all apps then decide at some point to go the subscription route, will you still think its only .99p when been charged yearly for 99+ apps?

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
How can any one cry out over 1 dollar?
If you use it and is happy, pay up. If you hardly use it, then just delet it.
I hardly use it, but my wife and her friends use it all the time As they live in different countries

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
£.99 isnt a lot to pay yearly for whatsapp but its more the principle behind it. I initially bought the app as it offered me a lot of amazing features for a one off fee. Having to then be expected to pay a yearly subscription is somehow a breach of the original contract.

Anyhow having read further, it seems the subscription model only appllies to new users
http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/18/4121940/whatsapp-for-ios-moving-to-subscription-model-this-year

Regarding those that say its only a pound/dollar, think about it, what if all apps then decide at some point to go the subscription route, will you still think its only .99p when been charged yearly for 99+ apps?

I'm sorry but your post doesn't really make sense. At first you're complaining that somehow the original contract was breached, then you accept that this only applies for new users, so it's not going to affect your contract anyway.
Even if they did start making it a subscription only service for everyone you could always opt out. It's really not a big deal

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
I and my wife have iPhones and many a times we cannot use iMessage for reasons totally unknown. But we use whatsapp in such scenarios when we realize iMessage is not working.
Also whatsapp compresses the pictures before sending which saves us from more bandwidth being used.
I stay in a country where EDGE still is used on a very large scale and in such cases sending a pic taken from iPhone 4S without compressing means hell lot of time taken to send and receive since each picture is few MBs.
Whatsapp compresses it to few KBs which makes it easier and faster.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I already use an alternative: naver's LINE

Same here, just two things I hate about it.
1) No native iPad app.
2) It is one account per device, thus if you have an iPhone and a iPad, you have to have TWO different accounts. (this seems common)

Positives.
1) Lots of free stickers (helps convey emotion, especially since not everyone in my family speaks the same language).
2) iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, Windows, Mac, Blackberry, etc support.
3) Phone calls, group chats, video videos, and more.

Last edited:

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
Its $1 a year. Not the end of the world. Thats not even $.10 a month.

I still use iMessage, Facebook, & Facetime. for whatever I need. btw everyone has facebook, idk people use anything else to message people in other countries without iPhones with?

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA

In the netherlands, this App is so popular, that providers tried to start charging seperate fees for using the data that's used by Whatsapp specifically. The government stepped in and didn't allow them to do so, since it's pretty unfair.

They tried to do the same with Skype, FB messenger, and Spotify. So yeah it really depends on where you are in the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.