Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
Hi folks,
for those of you on Ios 9.1 beta, you'll notice that the latest version of whatsapp (2.12.9) supports the new quick reply feature thru the notification banner.

It does have a bug. when you use quick reply, it doesn't clear the unread count on its icon.

Ammar666

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2015
Hi folks,
for those of you on Ios 9.1 beta, you'll notice that the latest version of whatsapp (2.12.9) supports the new quick reply feature thru the notification banner.

It does have a bug. when you use quick reply, it doesn't clear the unread count on its icon.
does it still have the problem where sometimes notification sounds don't come through?

sunfire7

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
Confirmed, can't wait for official 9.1, this is my most wanted feature, less reasons to jailbreak now

Reactions: marvz

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I wonder why 9.1 is needed given that third party quick reply support is there in 9.0.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Because the ghost keyboard bug on the lockscreen prior to 9.1
There might be a issue with the keyboard on the lockscreen, but is seems that if quick reply support is added in an app it should be there in iOS 9.0 as well since it supports it (even with a potential bug), especially since I believe there are other third party apps offering quick reply in 9.0.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
presumably they can target certain features for certain iOS versions though. after all, APIs can be introduced and modified in iOS x.x releases (usually not x.x.x release though)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
presumably they can target certain features for certain iOS versions though. after all, APIs can be introduced and modified in iOS x.x releases (usually not x.x.x release though)
I'd imagine that is likely possible. I wonder why they would do it that way if it should be possible in 9.0 with some other third party apps doing it there already.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I'd imagine that is likely possible. I wonder why they would do it that way if it should be possible in 9.0 with some other third party apps doing it there already.
as robi said it was buggy in 9.0.

if whatsapp chose not to target 9.0 as it would be a poorer experience then well done to them!

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India

I don't think we can say what technical reason stops whatsapp (rather facebook now) from bringing new features to iphone sooner. After all, ios 9 dev version was released in the summer. Just like skype, they had enough time to work on introducing ios 9 based features by the time it was released. I can only speculate that its a business decision. Maybe facebook thinks by withholding features, people may flock more to using the fb messenger app instead. whatsapp still hasn't brought dropbox backup to ios. again, i see no real technical reason.

Reactions: haruhiko

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't think we can say what technical reason stops whatsapp (rather facebook now) from bringing new features to iphone sooner. After all, ios 9 dev version was released in the summer. Just like skype, they had enough time to work on introducing ios 9 based features by the time it was released. I can only speculate that its a business decision. Maybe facebook thinks by withholding features, people may flock more to using the fb messenger app instead. whatsapp still hasn't brought dropbox backup to ios. again, i see no real technical reason.
Well, I was wondering about more from the point of view that if they brought it to iOS 9.1 then why not 9.0 (not so much about why they haven't brought it to iOS until now). The bug that was mentioned is perhaps one potential reason, but given that it might not really be a widespread issue and only affects the lock screen aspect of it (where quick reply is useful when the phone is unlocked too) it's hard to say if that might be it or not, especially since some other apps have released their quick reply for 9.0 and aren't really suffering because of it.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

Remember last year it took them a few months to support the iPhone 6/6+ resolutions, and 2 years ago it took them half a year to support iOS 7, or 3 years ago when it took them another half a year for it to support the iPhone 5?

Whatsapp has always been like that, prior to and after it being acquired by Facebook. I don't want to use it, but 100% of the smartphone users in my city (Hong Kong) do not agree with me :(.

Reactions: Schubbiii

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Remember last year it took them a few months to support the iPhone 6/6+ resolutions, and 2 years ago it took them half a year to support iOS 7, or 3 years ago when it took them another half a year for it to support the iPhone 5?

Whatsapp has always been like that, prior to and after it being acquired by Facebook. I don't want to use it, but 100% of the smartphone users in my city (Hong Kong) do not agree with me :(.
At least it seems that they are faster this time around.

afallnstar

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
Seattle
So glad to finally see this functionality built in. WhatsApp is my primary means of keeping in contact with my international clientele.

rowdt1

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2015
The Netherlands
It doesn't work for me at all.. Tried responding to messages via my Apple Watch as well as on my iPhone. No success. Does anyone know a fix?

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
WhatsApp released an update (2nd of November, Version 2.12.10) and they mention a change in regards to quick reply:

What's New in Version 2.12.10
• Quickly reply to messages right from notifications. Just drag down a notification to type your reply. (iOS 9.1+)
• You can also now reply to incoming WhatsApp calls with a message right from the call notification. (iOS 9+)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.