Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

WhatsApp today added several new camera improvements for its iPhone app, including the ability to draw, write, and place emoji on photos and videos before sharing them. The features are similar to the camera features offered in both Snapchat and Instagram Stories.

whatsapp.jpg

Users will be able to use the new editing tools for photos and videos captured within the app and photos and videos previously captured and stored within the Photos app. The editing tools will also include the ability to change the color and font of the text.

The WhatsApp camera has also gained several other improvements, including front-facing flash, the ability to zoom in and out by sliding a finger up and down, and quickly switching from the front-facing camera to the rear by double tapping.

WhatsApp is available on the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: WhatsApp Update Adds the Ability to Write and Draw on Photos and Videos

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Surprisingly, of all the new iMessage features in iOS 10, drawing on pictures isn't one of them. You can doodle on pictures inside your photo library--but you first have to navigate to them, tap edit, then tap the little 3 dots in the top corner (at least, on my iPhone 5 you do), and then finally tap "Markup."

Then you can return to iMessage to send the drawn-on picture.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Surprisingly, of all the new iMessage features in iOS 10, drawing on pictures isn't one of them. You can doodle on pictures inside your photo library--but you first have to navigate to them, tap edit, then tap the little 3 dots in the top corner (at least, on my iPhone 5 you do), and then finally tap "Markup."

Then you can return to iMessage to send the drawn-on picture.
I think you can do it faster. In messages, select a picture and hold down on it and a screen will come up with the markup option. Two touches to the phone to get there all inside iMessage.

Reactions: moobat

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
How original.
[doublepost=1476932035][/doublepost]
Apple should add the double tap to switch camera option in the stock Camera app.

I had that when I was jailbroken. I'm sure it won't be long before they implement it.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I wish they would respond to my feature request. My friend has a hand tremor and he likes to use the microphone walkie-talkie feature instead of texting but the button is so small that it keeps failing to continuously record.
We also use Heytell which has a huge button and works great.
They need an option to hide the keyboard and just show a big button in like a "car mode" or double tap to hold record. Neither are they interested in doing.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
WhatsApp's new update sucks. All the names in the chat window are skewed to the left, not centered anymore...

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I think you can do it faster. In messages, select a picture and hold down on it and a screen will come up with the markup option. Two touches to the phone to get there all inside iMessage.
I don't have that option in my iPhone 5. :-(

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I wish this app would die, the problem is everyone is using it and we don't know how does Facebook makes money off their $20b they paid for.

Telegram is still my chat client of choice. Anyone who I have gotten to use it never looks back. Full of features. And so much faster than iMessage when sending media.

Wish everybody used iMessage though :(

I wish people would switch to Telegram or Apple would release iMessage to Android. Main reason no one uses iMessage is this and not sure if it supports group chats.

salimar

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2015
Should not have chosen an app for which you have to pay…

What difference does paying a couple bucks for threema make? It's leaps and bounds above whatsapp and the turn around they did concerning your privacy. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me that you're ok with that.

So I paid a few bucks for threema. I guess that makes ProtonMail and the pro account I pay for trash right?

Telegram? I can't even get their support to answer my emails or tweets in regards to me not being able to register. Staying silent when a user requests help does not sit well with me at all. That along with the fact that telegram chats aren't secret by default is also a killer.

Last edited:

gabriel193755

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2014
Yet they still don't support GIFs ...

I found a way to share gifs on WhatsApp. It is really a weird way, but it is the only way I know.

1. You have the gif on your mac
2. Send this gif to yourself via iMessage
3. Open the gif on your iPhone (not only the message, tap on the gif)
4. tap on the share button
5. choose the option "Import With WhatsApp"
6. Send it to whoever you want

Probably there is a easier way to do it out there, by this is working for me.

pietrov

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
Telegram is still my chat client of choice. Anyone who I have gotten to use it never looks back. Full of features. And so much faster than iMessage when sending media.
Telegram is the one I prefer too, but unfortunately not so common as I'd like...

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Ha ha. Funny picture. Dog with crown. Me laugh. Dog with funny writing. Me not have to think too hard. Thinking difficult. Not like expressing subtle thoughts. So this good. Me like drawing in kiddie scrawl using felt pen on things. Like a virtual regression to pre school activities. Me also like fast food. For exactly the same reason. If God wanted us to use our brains to anything like their full potential then why would he have given us smart phones with fast broadband wifi? Dog funny. Me laugh.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Telegram also supports GIF's and has a very nicely integrated GIF search.

Has done for ages.

I found a way to share gifs on WhatsApp. It is really a weird way, but it is the only way I know.

1. You have the gif on your mac
2. Send this gif to yourself via iMessage
3. Open the gif on your iPhone (not only the message, tap on the gif)
4. tap on the share button
5. choose the option "Import With WhatsApp"
6. Send it to whoever you want

Probably there is a easier way to do it out there, by this is working for me.

Whereas in Telegram you can simply attach one to your message or type "@Gif {search criteria}" and within the screen results that appear, select one you like! :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.