When and what will be update at MacWorld?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by uspcommuter, Dec 9, 2004.

1. uspcommuter macrumors regular

Hello everyone,

I am a big fan of rumors and predictions. Since I am thinking about purchasing something after the next macworld in jan. What do you guys think will be released by apple both in terms of hardware and software? I think they will release the following:

Hardware:
    -PowerMac: Dual 3.0GHz and Radeon X800 card
    -PowerBook: Dual Core G4's @ 1.6 GHz :-D

Software:
    Tiger finally makes it's debut muhahaha

Hope I hear from you guys.

USPcommuter

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Hey there!

Here some info regarding MacWorld SF in this thread :D

I'm hoping for some sort of Powerbook update as I am thinking of getting one in the 'not-so-distant' future. Will probably get a release date of Tiger. Not sure about Power Mac updates, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

What?

Are you kidding? New PMs, PBs and Tiger?

4. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I think it's a safe bet that we will NOT see 3 GHz PowerMacs at MacWorld.

5. Graeme A macrumors 6502

Graeme A

history repeating again...

I'm looking at picking up a PM G5 just before Christmas. Based on past purchases and product upgrades, it must be in line for an upgrade and/or price drop.

I bought my 17" PB in August 03 (Official switched)... September they get upgraded and price dropped from $3299.
    November 03, I bought a mid-range 3g iPod 15Gb... upgrades weeks after...
    I bought my 20" Display in April 04... couple of months later, nice new Alu displays...

Maybe I just buy at the wrong time, or Apple spies are watching their stores for me... Even if I didn't catch the new wave of products, I have sure enjoyed using the ones I got.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

C'mon, everyone is hoping for dual core 3GHz PowerMacs which means a 20% speed bump and a 50% power/heat reduction over the current 970FX -- along with fixing the production problems, fixing the low voltage operation (plain didn't work), and fixing the high voltage operation (which killed reliability.) :p

If Motorola can make a promise like that year after year, don't you think IBM can deliver on it? Even though everyone is having problems at 90nm.

7. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Do you think there will be an update to the regular iPod?

I know the iPod Photo just came out, but looking at the buyer's guide I see that the iPods were updated almost 6 months ago. Looking at how often the iPods are updated (I know, you really can't trust previous release dates for a comparison), MWSF should be about time the iPods are updated. The reason I ask is I'm thinking about getting one after christmas when I have money.

8. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Here's my wild guess.

- Updated Xserves 2.3 GHz
    - Demonstration of some Oracle database solution
    - iPod micro
    - eMac G5
    - Airport TV (Audio and Video from your Mac to (and from) your TV and stereo)
    - Apple Online Movie Store

9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

2.8 GHz Powermac G5

1.6 GHz Powerbook no dual core

iMac G5 2.0 GHz

No Tiger

10. bluemonkey macrumors regular

Online Movie Store? that would be cool, but I've heard nothing about it.

I think Jobs'll announce that he's selling Apple Computer to Dell, and unveil the new line of black plastic powermacs at $899, because Dells are "better than Macs" (according to my bonehead pee cee friends)

-Jason

11. uspcommuter thread starter macrumors regular

Bump

I am pretty sure there is more speculations out there...care to share? :D Thankyou very much for all your input.

12. vtprinz macrumors 6502

iPod Micro? What exactly is that supposed to be?

Online movie store? That would be pretty damn sweet, but I just don't see it happening, not for quite a while at least. There just aren't enough clients. A LOT of people still use dialup, and downloading a full movie would take days. Not to mention most people won't want to watch movies on their computers, and few people have DVD burners at this point.

Unfortunately I'm not one of those people and I'd love to see a movie store...

Other than that, I'm sure we'll see bumps to the XServe some minor changes to the PowerMacs, nothing as big as a 3Ghz machine, but maybe just a small speed bump, or at the very least maybe a change in the stock memory and graphics cards.

I wish we'd see an upgraded video card in the iMac line, but probably not.

Powerbooks will get some enhancements, but not G5's or even dual core G4's.

And definitely no Tiger. They're still working on a lot of bugs. MAYBE a release date at the very most, of sometime in the summer.

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm hoping that Steve will actually announce a release date for Tiger. If the Power Mac update isn't at least a 3.0, then I see no reason to bother. We are now one and a half years after the promised release.

14. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

My predictions...

iLife '05
    Keynote 2
    flash based iPod (I'm ordering one that day if it is for real)
    Steve will tell us when Tiger will be released. May do pre-orders that day
    Speedbumped G4 Powerbooks (no dual core)
    More iTMS for other countries
    More Apple retail stores opening

Seriously, there's no way of predicting this. Steve is so unpredictable. Anything can happen.

15. kerb macrumors regular

I don't see the need for a flash based iPod.

Steve referred to (in the U2 special event) to flash based mp3 players as "those things you get as gifts and never use".

16. sigamy macrumors 65816

My list:

Software:
    1. Tiger release date is May 19.
    2. iLife '05--entire suite "enhanced for G5 processor", still works nicely with G4, but now that G5 is in a consumer machine you'll see Apple stress it more.
    iPhoto: faster, more image editing, nested folders, calendar creation
    iMovie: 16x9 support, new interface for titles (and real titling), 5.1 surround (or at least simulated surround)
    iDVD: 16x9 support, STABILITY IMPROVEMENTS, faster encoding/burn
    New iLife app: fxStudio: Special Effects for iMovie. Lightsabers, Matrix-stuff, bluescreen, etc. Like AlamDV.

Hardware:
    1. Faster Power Macs, maybe up to 2.8Ghz but not 3.0Ghz. Bluetooth mouse and keyboard will be standard.
    3. Flash iPod: I'm not sure on this. Steve always rips on the flash-based players and Apple doesn't want to compete with $499 PCs so I wonder if they want to compete with $99 MP3 players.
    4. eMac: eMac is staying G4. Remember, this machine started in EDU and that market needs a low cost Mac. There will be a redesign though, and the machine will be much less bulky. We may even see the brushed aluminum colors of the iPod mini. They'll keep the 1.25Ghz/combo drive model and price drop it to $649. Then a 1.33Ghz/combo drive for $799 and 1.33Ghz/superdrive for $899.

And there is just one more thing...

Say 'Hello' to The iPhone.

Apple and Motorola collaborate again to design the perfect mobile communications device. Not a PDA, but full sync with AddressBook and iCal or Entrourage. Stunning design. Your iPod's chatty little sister.

Now you don't even have to watch the keynote.

17. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

-Speed bumps/price drops to the PowerBooks
    -Radeon X800, GeForce FX6600
    -Improvements to eMac (G5 or speed bumps)

18. lalcan macrumors regular

My list:

- Great Sales Numbers!
    - Tiger release date will be April 10th Obviously! same date for Keynote 2 and iLife 05.
    - New Powerbook form factor, including either a 1.6 or 1.8 dual-core G4 (G5m) with detacheable bluetooth keyboard and trackpad, better screen resolutions, same 3 sizes with the 12" going widescreen, available at the end of January (that will become 2nd half of February), 512 RAM standard on 15 and 17 inchers.
    - iBooks with standard bluetooth and increased HD sizes (perhaps announced a week or so before MWSF).
    - New eBook with the same form factor as the iBook but with a lower processor (1Ghz G4), Airport Extreme optional, no BT, totally white, 128 RAM, 32 vRAM, $699, avalable initially only to educational institutions.
    - Incremental upgrades to Power, i and e Macs (all G5), eMacs starting at $649
    - .Mac lowered to $79 a year.
    - xServe 2.3, xSan available (perhaps a week or so before MWSF)
    - 5 Gb iPod Mini, same price as today.
    and the "One more thing" is a mobile phone developed jointly with Motorola, including a greatly simplified Newton-based GUI.

You heard it here first! have a great week!

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The one thing that we can be certain about is that Steve will walk onto the stage with his blue jeans and black turtle neck. He will review all the milestones of Apple during the past year. It's definite that a delivery date will be announce for Tiger.

20. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I agree-- it's going to be pretty conservative.

Some speed bumps to the PowerBook and eMac lines. No shocking CPU advancements yet.
    I think we'll hear about the X800.
    I think the FlashPod will be announced.
    I think a G5 eMac is the biggest, dumbest rumor. There's no way they will offer an eMac at 1.6Ghz with the iMac G5 where it is now. No way that will happen. Ever.
    I think they'll announce the Dual-cores, but they won't be available until mid summer.
    I think they'll announce a launch date for Tiger.

nothing crazy.
    and no 3Ghz anything.

21. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Here's why I don't think they'll announce a firm ship date for Tiger:

1) It sets us up for disappointment if they miss the date (see: 3.0Ghz G5)

2) It freezes hardware sales leading up to the promised date (who knows how many days prior to actual release they'll grandfather your purchase with a free upgrade to Tiger? - and how pissed will you be if you miss it by a day?)

3) We know it's coming, and about when - so there's really no need to specify given #1 and #2

My $.02

TM

22. jettredmont macrumors 68030

Not to pounce on you, but this is the third time I've seen this assertion made recently, and it's just wrong. We're one half year (6 months) after the promised release. The "promise" was made a year and a half ago.

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm sorry, no problem. It's best that you corrected my mistake. At least there was an actual one and a half year in the equation. Time just goes by so quickly sometimes. :eek:

24. djkny macrumors 6502

if they don't have major PB updates, apple's PB line will be a museum piece.

25. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

to be honest what kind of upgrades do you guys expect?