When Apple updates the powerbooks, what are the chances they will change screens?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by spaceballl, Feb 20, 2004.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

Nov 2, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Remember back when there were rumors of apple going to a 15.4" screen and stuff like that? Think they'll change the displays when they update the PBs with G5s at the end of the year?

Like what if the 12" PB got updated and the screen was not quite as tall, but wider... this would help me out on airplanes...

2. cschilderink macrumors newbie

Nov 25, 2003
    I find them changing the screens highly unlikely. I would expect to see speed upgrades, bigger hard drives, maybe a new video card, but mostly just some simple speed and storage upgrades.
  3. junior macrumors 6502a

Mar 25, 2003
    I'm sure they'll change the case design.
    I don't know how good a 12" wide screen would be. Might be alright for viewing movies but the idea of working with documents doesn't seem to be a great idea.
  4. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    How about higher screen RESOLUTION? This might require some modification of the system software to enable icons, toolbars, etc in various apps to be scaled appropriately, but it would make for a much sharper screen. I'd like to see 2560X1708 in a 15-inch monitor--double the current resolution!
  5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    You'd actually want to use a 2560x1708 screen? What would you read it with, an electron microscope? I could see wanting a *bit* higher, but honestly, you'd really crank up the resolution higher than that if you could? I'm on a 12" PB and there's no way I would want higher resolution on a 12" screen.
  6. Shaughn macrumors newbie

Jan 15, 2004
    Higher resolution would be cool.

Personally, I'd just settle for a screen that's consistently evenly illuminated in my 15" Alu Book.

7. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    Actually he's making a very good point. I have a 12" PB, and the resolution suits me fine. I also have a 15" Dell Latitude with 1600x1200. At first I loved the high resolution, but now it wears on my eyes. What we'll see, I think, with the next generation of OS'es is an automatic adjustment of the size of controls and text based on the screens dpi. OSX is already there for some things like the dock.

A 2048x1536 12" PB would be much clearer, but text size 12 would have to be approx 24 pixels high and controls would have to be almost twice as big.
  8. billyboy macrumors 65816

Mar 15, 2003
    In my head
    I want them to release a G5 Powerbook without a screen. Use it as a desktop replacement and let me put the $1000 towards a 23" display.
  9. idkew macrumors 68020

Sep 26, 2001
    where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i believe that os x was already "res'ed up" when compared with 9.

you can easily grow high in resolution, and all you need to do i change a font size, a zoom, and icon size.

i would love for an amazingly high resolution screen, it would be great to see text and art on it. it would require little to double the gui's size. unfortunately, it means more gpu usage, hotter, and shorter portable use. it would be a pro desktop release initially.
  10. junior macrumors 6502a

Mar 25, 2003
    Why don't you get a power mac?
  11. aswitcher macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
    A resolution bump would be nice, especially for video and photo work. I beleive something about large fonts in Panther updates has suggested to some people that we will seen improved resolution more in line with whats available in the micro$oft laptop market.

Improved viewable angle couldn't hurt either.