When are ibooks intel?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by rye9, Oct 6, 2005.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

When do you think iBooks will be switched to Intel? Also, are PPC updates for iBooks in store for Febuary maybe?

2. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Why do people keep asking this question?

Nobody knows, your guess would be as good as anyone else's. Mactels are suppose to be released next year second half so maybe sometime then.

3. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

He's a newbie!! Be nice ;)

Sorry for that comment rye9 ;)

To answer the question, they're prolly' not going to be updated first, but not last. I'd say middle of 2006.

Just a guess.

4. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Why aren't you iGary?

5. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Thanks. I heard from others that theyd be one of the first because the Power series are already very advanced so theyd update the lower models like the iBook first. I plan on getting a last revision iBook PPC hopefully theyll be last updated in January.

6. Norouzi macrumors 6502

My complete guess would be iMac's first, then iBooks, then Powermac's, then Powerbooks. And if apple says second half of 06 I wouldn't be suprised to see them in early 07.

7. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Really the only think Apple is waiting for is 3rd party software. There are dev kits out and all the reports say they run great and fast.

I think the only issues are:
    1. How to keep OSX from running on any x86 PC
    2. Make sure 3rd party software is ready to go (it would suck to have a nice new Mactel and no software to run.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

No, we must beat them or they will never learn. We don't know yet. Probably sometime in 2006. Or before that. Or after.

9. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

I don't think there will be another PPC revision. I think this is the end of the line for PPC iBooks.

10. Bear macrumors G3

PowerMacs will be last according to the last word on it. The Mac mini will be early on as well.

11. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Ive heard many people say that there will be one last update around January or Febuary though.

12. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I couldn't see iBooks being before powerbooks. Who would want a 1.67Ghz G4 powerbook when they could get a 2.16Ghz Pentium M iBook for less. Nor iMacs before Powermacs for the same reason. It seems most likely that if Apple does it in phases that it would be powerbook and ibook, since they desperately need the upgrade. Then Power mac, iMac and Mini being released within a short timespan of eachother.

It may be that Powermacs (pentimacs), iMacs, and Powerbooks (pentibooks) are Pentiums. While the iBooks and Mac Mini will be Celerons :eek: .

Short rant,
    I just hope that Apple doesn't use Intels integrated graphics chips in their low end machines. Keep dedicated graphics dell and HP both stink because they put integrated graphics in every model except giant 17" gaming rigs. With the exception of some with a lowly x300.

Who really knows. They may all be released the same day. With the exception of the eMac so that they have something to hold out on until 2007.

13. risc macrumors 68030

risc

[​IMG]

14. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Yeah, I totally thought that was iGary at first. I didn't think other people were allowed to have Steve Jobs as their avatar.

15. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

The official transition date is April 1, 2006.

16. Preacher85 macrumors member

Preacher85

And you know this how? I'm not trying to sound mean, but I am a little skeptical. So, how do you know that this date is official?

EDIT: Duh...April 1st....April Fools. Humbug, I look like a dork now.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yes. But at least you are not alone in your dorkiness. :p