when are there going to be i(thing) updates?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by funkywhat2, Aug 14, 2002.

1. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

anyone go a clue/think they have a clue as to when the next "i" machine (iMac, iBook) update is going to be. if this is talked about elsewhere point me to it.:)

2. vniow macrumors G4

I have no way to back this up, but I'm guessing MWSF or a little later, when the new IBM chips are introduced into the new Powermacs and the Tibook is bumped to 1Ghz, then I suspect the iMac will also be bumped up to 1Ghz and the iBooks to at least 800Mhz.
    If I'm wrong (which I probably am), then oh well. This is a rumor site ain't it?
    :D

3. funkywhat2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

hey any reply is a good reply-thanks for at least guessing:)

4. chills macrumors newbie

I disagree... I don't believe we will see any of the current 1Ghz or 1.25 GHZ cpus in the "i" machines. They are just simply to HOT. Only the Powermac can handle the proper cooling. They might and I really believe it is a longshot if you see the current G4 chips in the "i" machines. I believe nothing much is going to happen until we get some new CPUs.

Chills

5. vniow macrumors G4

OK, here's a little revision:
    You're right, we probably won't see any of the current G4s in the new i's and it would be a little hard to stick an IBM chip in there, but what about the 7470 (right numbers?) Since it's an upgraded 7455 and can support DDR, I could see Apple using that in a new iMac (I suspect the iBook will remain G3 for awhile) But in any case, it's still fun to guess what Apple's going to do next.
    :p

6. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

What we may see in the meantime is a 7470 switch in the Powermacs/Xserves, with a part number change, but not nececcarily any other fanfare. This will aloow a cooler chip with better memory addressing capabilites.

The overclocked 7455 may be a stopgap measure, and by September the new machines may be running cooler, 7470 chips.

By not introducing the 7470s with an event, they can focus attention towards a MWSF rev across the board, as all products will need it by then. Perhaps you can hope for the 7470s to migrate down to consumer machines & TiBook, and the Power4Lite/G5/1.5+ GHz G4 will populate the pro towers.

However, by MWSF, I mean Nov-Feb, as Apple seem to be revelaing less new products at MWs.

7. chills macrumors newbie

I don't think we will see any new Moto chips. I believe the reason we didn't see the new Moto chips is because several months ago Moto quit developing new cpus for Apple. We are in LIMBO between Moto ending development and IBM concluding development. This summer we have seen Apple do as much as it could do with Motherboard designs, L3 Caches, and other design elements to push performance as high as possible while utilizing OLD moto cpus. What will hopefully see is a EXTEMELY high performance with the new IBM cpus when they are delivered next year.

But I hope Apple stops all updates and spends all of its resources on updating all current motherboards to be IBM chip compatible.

Chills

8. funkywhat2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

does anyone know how hot the IBM chip runs? based on the new heatsink in the powermacs, i would guess that they run kinda hot, but those also may be overclocked ppc 7455's.

9. vniow macrumors G4

God, I hope so. Motorola has been frelling Apple for some time now and really damaging its image as a Pentium killer, but I can sorta see why, as they make more profit with those embedded chips in Cisco routers and such, but it still should have payed more attention to Apple. :(

10. chills macrumors newbie

I don't believe the current heatsink has anything to do with the new IBM cpus. These heatsinks are there because of the overclocked chips. If you have ever overclocked an x86 processor you know that you either need a HUGE heatsink or a LOUD fan moving a ton of air. Apple knows they can not have a LOUD fan so they tried to make the heatsink as big as possible to reduce the need for a powerful fan.

I hope that the IBM chip is designed to be low power and low heat. But I just don't know much of these IBM cpus yet.

Chills

11. vniow macrumors G4

The Power4 runs pretty hot, I just hope the mini-Power4 doesn't, then again this case was designed for cooling efficiency, so I wouldn't be so sure.

12. chills macrumors newbie

Where can I find more information on the Power4? Has anyone pulled together all the links on the Power4? I would really like to see some current information on what is going on over there at IBM.

Chills

13. funkywhat2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

There's a redbook that IBM put out about it, I have it if you can't find it on their page. Its a 212 page .pdf file. If anyone wants it, it's on my idisk. the username is will_vogel and my passowrd is 25845600. i dont really care what you do to it, im going to let the rial membership expire anyway. if you can't get that to work, send me an email, and i'll wend you the file.

14. vniow macrumors G4

Try looking under News Discussion or older Hardware Rumors here, the true techies here are pretty resourceful. :)

15. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

layoffs :)

ba doom ching

16. funkywhat2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

its a shame, but its true.

i like the sound effedts at the end, lends the post character. i ment that in a good way:)