When can I expect a G5 powerbook?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by DavidCL23, Dec 16, 2001.

1. DavidCL23 macrumors 6502

Dec 14, 2001
    I am currently a pc user of an Ibm thinkpad T23, and I am very dissapointed with its overall performance and design, I was told that an IBM Thinkpad T23 was the best laptop out there, but apparently that was a lie, my friend showed me his new powerbook 667MHz (SAME PRICE), and I fell in love. I am willing to live with my thinkpad for a while, but I would really like to purchase a powerbook, but I am not going to spend another $3200 until I get a G5 or better, because my friends top of the line powerbook also seemed kind of slow. Does anyone out there have a rough prediction when a powerbook g5 will be released, and if it will be powerful enough to run win xp under vpc 5.0 comparitably to my Thinkpad?
  2. Falleron macrumors 68000

Nov 22, 2001
    Well, thats a hard question to answer!

I reckon that the powerbooks will be updated in Febuary (more of a minor update --> faster G4 processors). However, the G5 has not yet even been announced yet! The desktop computer will hopefully arrive in January (maybe march though)! As for the G5 Laptop, I think that we wont see that until about september.

I would have thought that the PowerBook 667Mhz would have been able to run VPC v5 without any problems. All you have to make sure is that you have plenty of RAM (512Mb I would say). Anyway, emulation is always going to be slow). Why dont you just get the mac equivalent programs?
  3. richvideo macrumors newbie

Dec 11, 2001
    Wishful Thinking

1. It took months for the G4 to ship from when they were announced... I seem to remember a 4 month delay for my g4 500 mhz

2. Apple just updated their laptops to have combo drives

3. The delay is going to be at least a year from the towers.... It always is. And those have even been announced yet

4. The heat issue is already a problem, and the case design too new... it will be awhile

5. They just redid the I-Books, which are g3... those need a while to sell..

6. Hock your machine on ebay and get one anyway... they're aweseome...

4. agreenster macrumors 68000

Dec 6, 2001
    Walt Disney Animation Studios
    I couldn't agree more

Emulation is slow, but not too incredibly slow.

I also agree that if you are going to get a Powerbook, then go ahead and take full advantage of what it can offer, and dont mess with VPC. If you are worried about applications for the Mac, then know that Micorsoft Office is available, (in a newer version than whats available for the PC) or if you are a designer, then there's Photoshop, quark, Illustrator, freehand, Flash, awwww hell, you name, they have it. And all of the files are swappable between platforms. If you are a gamer, there is a pretty wide selection of games available that also appear on the PC.
  5. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    re: g5 laptop

realistically, not until late next year and by that time, who knows what the pc world will be brewing up; 2.5 ghz? 100 gig hard drives?