When Did a Computer's Visual Appearance Become More Importa...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Dec 20, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors demi-god

Peace

Don't know about that article..
    I have a G5 tower in my office and a generic peecee in my other office and I tell you what!
    I prefer the look of the G5:)

3. macrumors 68040

maya

Actually I appreciate how it looks in hardware and software wise, plus what is on the inside is what counts the most. :D

It's a formula of balance and Apple seems to be on a roll at present with it. ;)

Good job Apple. Now if the prices come a tad bit lower and some other little things that can be changed about the iMac G5, it would be perfect. :)

4. macrumors 6502a

Some_Big_Spoon

I was going to say, with the 20th anniversary mac.. but I think it's an older fascination than that. For decades, since the dawn of mechanization really, there's been a fascination with the beauty and design of "the modern age". Things that looked futuristic, advanced were things of wonder. Jules Vern, 2001: A Space Oddesy, etc. all play on this.

Apple just happens to be one of the only companies that actually gets it and makes it a reality rather than the stuff of science fiction movies. Plus, they make it practical to boot.

5. macrumors 68040

California

That article belongs in a high school newspaper. Sadly sophmoric and waste of my time. Of course people care about how things look as well as how they work -- that quotient drives every industry including the automobile industry. Style equals form plus function. People care about it. So what? That doesn't make Mac users or any computer user "shallow". But then again "shallow" is the tenor of this article. Sorry so bitchy -- just a waste of words.

6. macrumors 68020

someguy

I agree, waste of time to even read this article.

7. macrumors demi-god

Peace

Well it was written by a 17 year old;)

8. macrumors G5

nagromme

Every major (non-generic case) computer maker cares about style, not just Apple. Computers are prominent features of our living and working spaces, so that's a given. Just like lamps, artwork, carpets, furniture. Just like our clothes and cars and tableware. Appearance isn't INSTEAD of what's inside.

It's just that the other computer makers TRY to look good, but generally fail :eek:

The insides are equally important to Apple, as evidenced by things like a certain major CPU transition, and real GPUs with VRAM even in their bottom-end Macs, and motion sensors in PowerBooks, and quiet cooling designs, and... and... and...

In addition, physical form is not JUST about appearance--it reaches into function too. Look at the iMac: the form factor is part of the functionality too. Likewise the thinness of Apple portables.

Just because other companies are bad at style doesn't mean Apple falls short in other areas.

9. macrumors regular

About the time they met most people's needs.

Let's face it. Most modern computers can do most of the things most people want them to do, esp. for the consumer. My mac mini works as well as my powerbook and my daughter's emac for all tasks asked of it.

Given that the performance is no longer a driving factor for most consumers and that computers are invading more of our personal space, i.e. not just some hidden away office, then looks are really important. Unless, of course, your idea of artwork runs towards posters of your favorite band.

10. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Dear Young Writer,

You've got to read Andy Hertzfeld's book "Revolution in the Valley" if you think the iMac was the first computer (or Mac) to be deliberately designed to be something beyond a mere expression of function. Apple really sweated the design of the original Mac. It is considered to be one of the more important industrial designs of the last few decades.

11. macrumors 68040

shamino

This is an expression of basic human nature - people satisfy their base needs first. Once they're satisfied, they stop concerning themself with the base needs and start interesting themselves with other more superficial needs.

Computers are no different. Once you get to a point where every computer sold can satisfy basic requirements (office apps, e-mail, internet access, some gaming), people start looking to the superficial for basing their decisions.

Someone who just wants to read e-mail and web pages will not see any reason to buy a $3500 PowerMac over a $500 PC, if he only looks at the computing capabilities.

But if one looks good and fits into the look-and-feel of his office (or living room), well, that's different. That might be worth spending a few extra hundred dollars on. It may be worth spending more to go from a plain black box to a better looking black box.

The argument gets even stronger when the case designs are more striking, like an iMac. The original iMac was less powerful than its predecessor (the beige G3), but it sold more. Both models were able to fulfill consumer requirements (at the time), but the iMac looked far better and was much simpler for a novice to install.

12. macrumors 68020

someguy

I would hate to see the author's girlfriend. :eek:
    I know it's what's inside that counts, but you get where I'm going with this...

13. macrumors 603

zelmo

I was getting ready to respond with this same exact sentiment, until I decided to read the other responses. I agree completely.
    If two computers perform my required tasks equally well, I'd prefer to buy the one that fits my decor or looks the best, assuming the premium I pay for the design is not too severe. Apple tends to pull up just shy of severe for me.;) It hurts a little, but I just can't stop myself.

14. macrumors 65816

Seasought

I remember a time when online articles like this would never see the light of day.

15. macrumors 68020

revenuee

ditto -- and i'm 21 ;)

they're was excellent point made earlier -- computers are surpassing the average users needs.

my mom wanted an iBook because it looked sexy
    my dad wanted to play with his DV cam and DigiCam

so she got one ... my dad happy plugs away at the thing making his little DVD projects and playing around with his digital camera, and my mom; well she walks around telling people how gorgious the computer looks in her office < --- what that means to me? i don't have to fix their Wintel box every other week ---

NOW -- i my case the fact that the mac looks sexy is just bonus -- i do need the raw power when working with raw images SO i got a powermac --- the fact that it looks sexy is a HUGE bonus and makes my office look sharp ;)

16. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Apple went crazy with desiging fancy cases when G4 was dead stuck at 450. They had to do something. Just like now G5,G4 still stuck and steve had enough of the crap and went Intel.

17. macrumors 68040

shamino

Now the really interesting question (which we can never know the actual answer to) is: Would all these nifty cases have been developed if fast chips were developed quickly enough to satisfy Apple's demand?

On the one hand, certain case features (like the multiple airflow-zones in the G5 case) were developed in order to solve hardware problems. On the other hand, some designs (like the Flower Power iMac) seem to be grasping at straws to try and decide what customers will want to pay extra for.

I would like to think that the most innovative case designs (like the iMac/G4 and iMac/G5) would be developed regardless of the underlying technology, but you never know. On the one hand, investing in style is silly if you can sell enough units in beige boxes. On the other hand, Steve (and others in Apple) believes in style for its own sake, even about things that customers really won't notice or care about. (like the looks of a motherboard and Apple logos in the rubber feet)

18. macrumors 68040

maya

The R&D costs of the G4 Cube were not entirely lost, it was ported in to develop the iMac G4.

That being said, the iMac G4 R&D made its way into the Mac Mini.

The PowerBook G5 R&D made it into the iMac G5, as the heat and battery life of that design would not do well with a PowerBook G5.

Apple finds a way to cut its cost, buy reusing a previous designs internal components into another shell. To start from scratch would be stupid. :)

Steve Jobs actually hinted at the iMac G5 design when he introduced the iMac G4 at MWSF. :)

19. macrumors newbie

For those of you who are familiar conspicuous consumption, I rest my case.
    Buy On(line). I'm sure you'll get the picture.

I have a question for those of you that hated my article, and think it was a waste of your time:

Why are you here talking about it and bashing me, Don't you have something better to do?

20. macrumors 604

Lacero

A computer that's quiet on my eardrums takes precedence over a speedy computer. If it looks nice, that's a bonus, but only if the design is functional and easy to maintain, such as the case with the Power Mac G5s. :D

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

21. macrumors 65816

Seasought

So discussing your work is a waste of time? That would in turn imply that the work itself is also a waste of time.

I read it because it was linked here at MR. I could also ask you as to whether or not you have something better to do than comb through forums for comments on things you've written for web sites.

I have found it more constructive to ask for constructive criticism when one is met with dissenting opinions.

22. Guest

iGary

Welcome to the world of writing. If you don't like it, you oughta start doing something else. No offense, bud. Not an art for the light hearted or easily offended.

23. macrumors newbie

I never said it was a waste of my time.
    I was just wondering why you read it if was going to be a waste of your time, the title speaks for the whole article.

24. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Wow, those black boxes aren't all that different. At least with recent Mac you can tell what it is by appearance. That or it specification tag. I've seen Sony's iMac knock off. The Pentium 4 in it makes it huge compared to our "space heater" G5. The screen is a lower resolution too. And it costs more than the 17" iMac. Yeah, go Sony Style.

25. macrumors 65816

Seasought

My original reply was this:

I remember a time when online articles like this would never see the light of day.

Your title, as phenomenally creative, insightful and original as it may be does not properly express the lack of content and purpose it exhibits. Like the aphorism 'never judge a book by its cover' I decided to read the article instead of forming a personal opinion based on title alone.

The fact that you continue to focus on things you think I'm saying and are not looking to improve your work in the future by asking specific questions concerning the work only encourages suspicion that it is a poorly written piece of writing.

In short, I didn't like it (as many others did not). You can step back and determine what you could do next time to improve your work or you can pretend that your writing as it stands is always perfect and cease to grow in ability.