When display is asleep, trackpad motion does not wake it up. Is it just me?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Goldfrapp, Mar 4, 2011.

1. macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Does anyone else's display not wake up when touching trackpad?

I'm on MacBook Air if that maters. Ta.

2. macrumors 68040

calderone

Same here.

3. macrumors newbie

Me too.

MBP 2010, 15inch i7

4. macrumors newbie

Gnuff

In my experience it never have, it didn't on my leopard macbook nor on my macbook pro with Snow Leopard.

5. macrumors 6502a

Not just in the OS itself but I noticed this while Installing it as well, It's actually better though, no accidental wakes now, and a simple brightness tap or caps lock tap wakes it up

6. macrumors newbie

Same here. And it used to work on 10.6.

7. macrumors member

87racer

It is possible that apple did this on purpose. With the Magic Mouse it is actually useful so bumping it doesn't wake up your computer. Not as useful for the trackpad since it is unlikely to bump it on accident. Hopefully it will be an option that you can choose whether or not to use in the final version.

8. macrumors newbie

Gnuff

Stupid me, my lapstops wake up from the trackpad when the screen is off. it's when the machine is asleep it dosn't wake up from the trackpad. Saaarry

9. orthorim, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

macrumors 6502

Same here.

I wonder if that's a "feature" or a bug? It's definitely annoying.

Edit: It now looks definitely like a bug to me, I have narrowed the issue down as follows:

- It only affects "display sleep" which is usually set to a much shorter period than system sleep
    - It only happens when running on battery

Prior to OS X 10.7, after the system entered display sleep, but not sleep, you could wipe the trackpad to wake the display. In OS X 10.7, that doesn't work anymore when running on battery.

When the system enters full sleep mode, e.g. the power light starts to pulsate, a trackpad touch does not wake it up, and never has, so Gnuff above was right as well.

10. macrumors 65816

Patrick J

This has been the way since the older builds.

Now you must click the trackpad or press a key.

11. macrumors 65816

Same issue with mouse movement, which used to work.

12. macrumors member

87racer

It is now a feature. It has been there since the first developer preview and is designed so accidentally mouse touches do not wake your computer when you don't want them to(excellent on an iMac when you just bump your magic mouse but not so excellent on a laptop). If it was a bug they would definitely have fixed it through the course of several developer previews and it would most likely not be happening on all installs.

Also it is designed to work when the screen is off(not screensaver active) and in full sleep.

13. macrumors 6502

Madd the Sane

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have the same problem with a trackball.