When do I buy a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Magnum26, Feb 23, 2007.

  1. Magnum26 macrumors member

    Magnum26

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2007
    Location:
    Wroughton, UK
    #1
    Hi All,

    This is a question I have been battling with for a while. I am planning on getting a new 17" MBP but I'm not sure when to make the purchase. With all these rumours out about the MBPs being updated shortly and the hopefully release of leopard do I wait and see if there are updates soon or just go for it and get one now? I don't want to go out and buy one and then the week after they update them, but I also realise that I can't chase technology, but I do want to get the newest.

    Please help!

    :apple:
     
  2. netdog macrumors 603

    netdog

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #2
    If you can wait for the Santa Rosa chipset, I would. There will always be something better coming, but we are not far from Santa Rosa, and it should make a big difference, unlike a speed-bump.
     
  3. Magnum26 thread starter macrumors member

    Magnum26

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2007
    Location:
    Wroughton, UK
    #3
    What difference would this make? Any ideas when this is coming out? I've been waiting a little while before making my purchase so I'm happy to wait but I'm starting to twitch slowly...
     
  4. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

    bmcgrath

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2006
    Location:
    London, United Kingdom
    #4
    Just buy one now. Its rapid fast anyway and it will do anything you throw at it so no point waiting around really
     
  5. slu macrumors 68000

    slu

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2004
    Location:
    Buffalo
    #5
    This is not to pick specifically on you, but there is no need for threads like this.

    If you need it now, get it now. If you can wait, then wait. There is always going to be something better coming soon.

    Plus nobody here KNOWS when anything is going to be released or updated, so all you are really asking for are opinions.
     
  6. Magnum26 thread starter macrumors member

    Magnum26

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2007
    Location:
    Wroughton, UK
    #6
    Id be mainly using it for work, I am a web designer and do some graphic design. Do you think that the 17" would be better over the 15" and what about the 13" MB? Im going to hook it up to a 20" ACD which ever I get. Is the 17" MBP worth the extra £800 over the MB?
     
  7. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

    bmcgrath

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2006
    Location:
    London, United Kingdom
    #7
    If your going to have the 20 inch display then the 15" MBP will prob suit ya. Unless you need screen estate when your on the road?
     
  8. PDE macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    #8
    If you have a 17" you'll not really want to have a 20" cinema display since the resolution is the same. It just doesn't make much sense. I'd go with the smallest you feel comfortable with on the road, probably the 15" since there's not that much difference in weight between that one and the macbook.

    Also, please do yourself a favour and check out the 15" display to see if the viewing angles and grain bother you. That might be a deciding factor too....it certainly has been for me as I really can't go back to a 15" until Apple has changed the display to something better.
     
  9. Vidd macrumors 6502a

    Vidd

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2006
    #9
    The point of a forum is to exchange information and to express opinions.
    Topics like this exist because people enjoy specific advice and speculation.
    You seem a bit harsh.
     
  10. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

    Legolamb

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2006
    Location:
    North of where I'd like to be
    #10
    1. I could never work (productively) on a 15in again, after my 17in MBP. I do graphics and gotten into programming; there are too many windows to keep in view. BUT, I don't know if this would be an issue with a 20 in external monitor. (Yeah, it might, I've gotten greedy).
    2. I don't trust the newest, especially if it is a MAJOR upgrade like some of the posters have hinted. I think my C2D will be able to handle what's coming down the pike for a while, plus it's been beta tested by all those early adopters ;)
     
  11. Magnum26 thread starter macrumors member

    Magnum26

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2007
    Location:
    Wroughton, UK
    #11
    Thank you Vidd.
     
  12. Magnum26 thread starter macrumors member

    Magnum26

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2007
    Location:
    Wroughton, UK
    #12
    The main reason I wanted to hook another screen is because I have so much open and you can never have too much desktop! Its just trying to decide which system to go for that would be best.

    Thanks to everyone so far! But keep them coming!
     
  13. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

    greenmeanie

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2005
    Location:
    CT
    #13
    I havn't been on here to long but this question has been asked about a million times LOL...Maybe someone should sticky it.
     
  14. Vtorch macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2006
    #14
    LOL, Of course there is a need for a thread like this.

    People always ask for other's people opinions so it could help them make certain decisions, especially when it regards to product purchases.....ESPECIALLY when it comes to computers.
     
  15. Vtorch macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2006
    #15
    LOL, you're Powerbook is just like mine. Then again, I also have Powerbook 17" from 3 years ago.

    If you want my advice, I say GO FOR IT.

    The difference between the Macbook Pros now and perhaps Macbook Pro later will be at best minimal. Yeah, the numbers will favor the latter computer, but you probably won't notice the difference too much.

    Keep in mind, that I have the same exact specs in my Power G4 12" that you do. Same RAM, same hard drive. I've also played around with the new Macbook Pros. There IS an obvious difference in speed, but you probably know that already.

    Just remember one thing, though....it never hurts to wait. (LOL....especially when it comes to Apple)
     
  16. iW00t macrumors 68040

    iW00t

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2006
    Location:
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    #16
    What is likely to come during the next upgrade would most likely be...

    1) Santa Rosa of course
    2) A new GPU since there is no way they are going to put in the X1600 and still expect it to be a selling point
    3) Maybe a new LED backlit LCDs, because we all know how ignorant average Joes do not care about things like "Santa Rosa" nor "What is a GPU? Is it from Intel?" but they do understand "BRIGHTER!!!!!"

    And remember last year one of Intel's spokesman actually mentioned that they have helped Apple finish designing one of their next generation laptops? Well in retrospect it sure doesn't seem like he was mentioning about the old Macbook Pro which has the exact same case design since god knows when.

    I'd wait if I were you. In fact I am selling mine off so I can join the waiting queue :)
     
  17. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

    richard4339

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2006
    Location:
    Illinois
    #17
    On average, according to the Buyer's Guide, the MBP won't see another update for two months. So, I wouldn't say its "around the corner", but the average update timeframe is approaching. You could be waiting 3 or more months for an update. If you need it, I'd go ahead and buy it.
     
  18. baseballman1243 macrumors member

    baseballman1243

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2007
    #18
    I would wait until Leopard to buy it, because maybe some other things will come out when that comes out.
     
  19. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

    richard4339

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2006
    Location:
    Illinois
    #19
    That's a good point. If Leopard comes out in March, it will probably be at least a month or two before a new MBP revision comes out. But if Leopard doesn't come out until, say, June, that would be a good time to release the new MBP.
     
  20. iW00t macrumors 68040

    iW00t

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2006
    Location:
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    #20
    If 2 months isn't considered around the corner then what is? People have been waiting for a lot less during the last revision :)

    Bet there are thousands if not millions of posts on these boards that goes something like "another Tuesday... no Core 2 Duo Macbook Pros yet", "Christ! All the PeeCees have it for the last 2 months! I expected Apple to be the first to announce!", "Haha, I have given in and decided to buy the current Core Duo Macbook Pros, what a beautiful computer (strangely you don't hear anything from him 2 weeks later when the new ones are released with stock 2gb of memory upgrades and 120gb of hard drive space at stock configuration, which means he basically just lost $500-$600)"

    It is potentially a long wait, and if you need it by all means get the current one, but I just have a good feeling about the next update, good enough to get rid of mine now. While I get a lot of use out of it I certainly don't need it, and can easily make do without with just a bit more work :D
     
  21. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

    richard4339

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2006
    Location:
    Illinois
    #21
    Two months can be a long time, or a very short time, depending on how you look at it. IMO, waiting from August - October for the C2D MBP was a horrible wait... but worth it =)
     
  22. briantology macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2006
    #22
    I think if you bought now, you'd have at least 2 months of Apple's current. Also, it seems as if the 15" would be a better bet over 17" if you're going to have a display hooked up (maybe go for a 23"?). But remember, if you do buy now, you'll most likely be getting a machine with less (if any) flaws than a first revision of whatevers next, but who knows.
     
  23. dvader macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2007
    #23
    Magnum...

    I'm waiting for Apple to come out with LED screens and NAND Flash drives.

    By the time that comes out, I'm sure there will be newer Intel processors on the MB/MBPs.

    I guess I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is on the timeframe for LED and NAND Flash.
     
  24. iW00t macrumors 68040

    iW00t

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2006
    Location:
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    #24
    The improvements of the C2D MBPs over the CD are definitely worth it. Or rather the bugs and issues they fixed...

    Anyway has anyone noticed that on the cycle before a big release Apple always tends to sweeten the deal somewhat to goad more people to buy into that model? Like for instance the final Powerbook revision with HD screens, they basically came with higher def screens, more ram, and more of everything, making it a significant upgrade, and 2 months later wam! Intel Macs.

    The C2D updates seems to be pretty much similar too, more of everything spec wise but nothing revolutionary, perhaps it is all a lead up to something amazing this next release :)
     
  25. Magnum26 thread starter macrumors member

    Magnum26

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2007
    Location:
    Wroughton, UK
    #25
    There will obviously be a difference in speed from a 867hmz to whatever next comes out. There is a big difference in my Powerbook G4 to my iMac Intel Core Duo. At the moment I am using a crappy 1.67hmz Dell Laptop for work with only 1GB ram which has problems running windows let alone Photoshop and Dreamweaver together. When I do eventually decide on when to buy I will max it out as I have done with my other 2 Macs.

    I was thinking to hook up a 20" screen to the laptop, is there much difference between the 20 and the 23" I don't think that there would be that much? It is hard to decide which one would be best for me. I'm mainly going to be using it to take to work and hook up to my screen (which ever size ACD I get - Maybe even a 30"?) so portability isn't so much of an issue as it will only mainly be going from my house - to car - to work and back.

    The main thing is... Is the MB powerful enough to run high processing programs like Photoshop and Dreamweaver at the same time while running a ACD and a few other things or would the more memory, better GPU and the .33hmz in the MBP make that much difference?

    I don't think I will be waiting for Apple to come out with LED screens and NAND Flash drives as this could take another year and I plan to get a new MB or MBP in the next 4 months or so.

    I would like to have the laptop pre-loaded with Leopard but I would also have to purchase Leopard as I would also want it on my Powerbook and iMac.

    This is a hard decision and I don't want to rush into it as it's alot of money, so I valid eveyones oppinion in this and helping to make a better understanding and hopefully get the best option for me.

    Thanks again to eveyone so far, but please keep them coming! :apple:
     

Share This Page