When do people expect PowerBook G5s to be released?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by macreator, Jul 23, 2004.

1. macreator macrumors regular

macreator

So here's a question for thought:

When do people expect Apple to release PowerBook G5s. Keep in mind that they are putting them in iMacs shortly. Voice your date expectations.

2. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

3. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

If they aren't at MWSF 2005, then I'd guess last quater of 2005, or MacWorld 2006.

Hoping for MWSF 2005. :)

4. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I also think we will see some announcement at MWSF...but shipping in February (which probably means March...)...oh yeah!

6. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

OMG.... DUFF MAN(!) got a 'tar.... I was surprised to see what he chose... OH YEAHHHHH...
    /threadjack

...late 2005.

7. goodwill macrumors regular

I agree, MWSF 2005. I think for sure it will be announced just like Tiger was and then won't be ready for release until January 2006.

8. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I disagree. I think that the Powerbook G5s will be announced at the earliest next June, with shipping before the 2005-2006 school year; possibly announced in September 2005, and shipping for Christmas 2005.

Lee Tom

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Optimistically, they could be announced at MWSF, but definitely wouldn't be shipping until a few months later if this was indeed the case. I'd lean more to late spring/early summer for them to show up, and even then, shipping might occur just in time for the back to school season. Ramming a server-class chip such as the G5 into that small enclosure will definitely be quite the engineering feat, so I don't see it happening anytime soon.

So if you're planning on buying a PowerBook and are wondering about the G5, DON'T - just buy a PowerBook now, unless you don't mind waiting an entire year. :cool:

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Nice to see you finally got an avatar, Duff-Man! What can I say, it suits you... oh yeah! :cool:

11. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I don't think you'll see a G5 in a PowerBook for quite some time. IBM is having enough trouble as it is getting enough quality processors for the PowerMac, Xserve, and iMac models. You also have to remember that its a hell of a lot easier to put a G5 in a desktop where its 100x easier to cool it and there isn't any power saving restrictions. The G5 processor still uses a lot of power, and creates a good amount of heat, even using a 90nm process. To prove my point, Apple has to use liquid cooling to continue cooling it quietly. Its not really possible to throw 8 or 9 fans in it because that will eat at the battery life. I just don't see it until very late next year, maybe even early 2006.

12. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I think there about 12 months away. Look at the issues with the G5iMac thats been delayed, what, 3 months...

Also consider that any Rev A is likely to have a few hardware bugs...although I am sure I will be envious

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yep, I agree - we won't see G5 PowerBooks for at least another year... And I don't think I'll be wanting to own a RevA one... ;)

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd expect to see them at WWDC, not MWSF in January. No way. :)

And any smart person would wait until the rev B comes out. Even the rev A 12" Aluminium Powerbook with the G4 was hot, and they didn't fix that problem until rev B (which I own). Imagine how hot it'll get with a G5 in there. It wouldn't surprise me if Apple says that figuring out how to cool the G5 in the 12" Powerbook is why its taking so long, and that they can already do it in the 17" enclosure.

15. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The earliest is going to be MWSF and the latest is paris in september 2005. Most likely I see it is MWSF. If they can fit a G5 in the imac they can fit it in the powerbook( 12" funeral). The second most likely is WWDC 2005. Paris is just to satisfy the people believe the fall 2005. But, won't happen.

16. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I think the arrival date is going to be very tied into with what the iMac G5's design is going to be. If its just a display with a computer behind it (a thicker version of the Studio Display) that may be a good sign that a PB G5 is coming soon since this setup would be a lot harder to cool. Now if it looks similar to the half dome model then this could mean that Apple still needs a bit of space to cool the G5, so that could mean Apple still has hurdles before they can squeeze the G5 into a PB. I hope MWSF.

17. captain da macrumors newbie

i think january as well. some people on other forums claim to have friends who have seen prototypes, including this one

obviously this is just a rumour, but still:

http://199.105.116.92/52004E.php

be sure to read page 2 as well.

i'd heard they were thinking carbon fibre because it was the only material strong enough to stay structurally sound after cutting out all the holes they need for vents.

btw, i really want them to be shipping by the middle of summer 05, because i'm going to get a powerbook for university, and don't really want to be stuck for four years with the last g4 revision.

18. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

No kidding!

Haha yea, like M&M's... Cept these WOULD melt in your hands! I'm interested in seeing how they deal with the heat issue... No way would they liquid cool a laptop... Right? :confused:

19. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...MOSR...hahahah...that is not rumour - it is a lot closer to fantasy...oh yeah!

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Duff-Man, with all respect you have had one two many Duff's. Mark my words, June will the soonest for a PB G5.

oh yeah!

21. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I see the powerbooks and imacs kind of twinded together. They are both have small enclosures. If the imac G5 stays or shrinks in size we can probably say powerbook G5 are not that far away. If the imac really gets bigger the pbook G5 is another year away. Directed to the article. How accurate have macosrumors been before they went down. I heard from alot of people they have a bad record of being right. Frankly no material can protect the inside. I see apple sticking with the metal look. Plastic for apple pro machines are dead. I wouldn't care if the metal is pu over plastic but, plastic being viewable on the outside is gone.

22. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think that Apple will do absolutely everything in its power to release Tiger and the new G5s in close proximity. I'm guessing late spring. They can always help heat issues by first issuing a "slow" G5 - 1.6, say. Or maybe even slower, if IBM will make them.

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Late Spring would put in the May June timeframe.

24. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

one powerbook revision has a lifespan of about 9 months, so that would put two possible and likely release dates to jan/feb and sept/oct next year. third possibility would be the wwdc next summer.

(no way they will release those babies this year, and should they not be able to release it very early next year, they will have to put out another G4PB and if they do that, they have to wait at least 4-5 months before they can announce the next big thing. otherwise every one of the last G4 revision owners would be pissed off badly.)

i hope it's january, but wouldn't be surprised if they can't do it then. anyway, i'm almost 100% sure january is the next time we see new powerbooks (be it G4 or G5).

25. macreator thread starter macrumors regular

macreator

Does it make any difference that now the iMac (consumer) will have a G5 and the pro laptop (the PowerBook) will still have a G4? Would that in anyway way mean that it would be more likely for a PBG5 to come out soon after the iMac G5?