When do the fans start on a MBP 17"?...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by slick316, May 30, 2006.

1. slick316 macrumors 6502

I am stressing the CPU right now, running two instances of yes > /dev/null in terminal. CoreDuoTemp is showing the temp at 79 Celcius, 100% CPU Usage. Its been like this for 5 minutes, but the fans haven't turned on (or atleast I can't hear them).
    Is this normal? Its not like the laptop is unusually hot or anything, so for that reason I don't really care, I am just wondering however.

2. idkfa macrumors regular

I don't own a MBP, but should your computer not turn off if it reaches unacceptable heat levels. Before the new Intel Macs, I would never check the temperature because it would drive you insane, but now... I am not sure. How long have you been running it like this?

Mac Book Pro Temperature Gauge: Place an egg on the left palmrest, and a piece of bacon on the right. If the bacon cooks before the egg, you may have a problem. :p

3. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Yep normal, if the CPU reaches 125 Celcius your MBP will shut down automatically. So no worries, it's just hot :)

Edit: Check this out http://www.intelmactemp.com/list?v_...p_1=&v_hddtemp_2=&v_whine=&v_moo=&v_postedby=

4. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

they turned on, after 7 minutes. Never went over 81 Celcius. I heard the fans, and temp started to drop, down to the low 70's. Also noticed the CPU speed dropped, from 2167mhz to like 1667mhz.

5. remowilliams macrumors member

Mine come on at 80c They are very very quiet (didn't even hear them) initially, and with continued load get a bit louder.

6. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

7. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Makes your CPU run at 100%. If you have two cores you have to open two terminal windows and type it in both console windows. Then both cores will run at 100%.