When do the updates start showing up?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by netdog, Jul 20, 2006.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

With new hardware almost certainly on the way, when do you guys think that the usual preceeding software updates will begin? * Surely 10.4.7 didn't cover all the issues that will undoubtedly come with the Power Macs and any other treats that may be on the way.

2. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

No operating system is perfect, understand that first and foremost. Even if a driver is perfected, some other software can incorrectly access it, send parity errors (e.g. sending the wrong bit or byte for access) and cause crashes, hang-ups, etc.

Do you mean when will the seed of 10.4.8 come out or what? Not sure what you're asking.

10.4.7 didn't, won't, and will not cover every single issue with any system, no matter how perfected the hardware or software is (as explained above).

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

System point upgrades are more commonly associated with general OS fixes rather than specific fixes for a machine. Even if 10.4.8 came out tomorrow, I don't really think it'd be indicative of new Macs 'round the corner. Of course, only Apple really knows what's coming so I may be completely wrong. :)

4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Off the top of my head, it doesn't seem like it's very often that point releases are correlated with new machines. For example, the MacBook came out while 10.4.6 was current, then a fair while later OS X 10.4.7 came out.

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Yeah, what's these "usual preceeding software updates" that you speak of?

6. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Im thinking what he means is that very often a new spec hardware will require a basic OS level, and that apple sometimes pre-enables the earlier release of the Mac Os to run on the new hardware. Meaning the New Mac Pro might require 10.4.8 or something. What im wondering is that is there possibly already sign of to be released hardware in 10.4.7?

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I think that he's referring to little things that mean a lot in OS updates...see the addition of "Architecture" in the get-info panel before Intel machines hit the markets.

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

That seems like an unusual occurrence not a usual one. I just don't think history bears proof to the software-update-usually-preceding-new-hardware theory. But I could be totally wrong. :)

9. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

I think the example that OutThere was using was a unusual occurence, but some other more subtle things are to be expected wiht a software update, when a new laptop comes out with a new graphics card, the mac os must have the drivers and the ability recognise that chip, the mac os getting that update must precede the actual hardware release right?!?! What I think Netdog is asking is when do we think will those software revisions to support the hardware will be released, Im thinking if Apple knew well ahead of time what was coming they might have already made those revisions in 10.4.7, but then risk people finding out, or there might be a 10.4.8 soon that will be required for the Mac Pro's and bring a few fixes to the game as well.

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's often the case that when new machines are released they run special build of the current release. So if new Mac Pros are released on August 7th then they would probably be running 10.4.7, but with a different build number than other Macs (they would have support built into their build).

When 10.4.8 is finally released it would include the bits from the special build of 10.4.7 and re-unify the OS builds...

11. projectle macrumors 6502

OS X 10.4.4 fixed several MAJOR issues that solely existed with the newly (at the time) released Powerbook G4 17" 5,9.

10.4.3 (the version shipped with the Powerbook) had a serious issue with the Power Mangement system, Graphics Driver and Airport.

For power management, the powerbooks were constantly auto-shutting off believing that they had completely lost all power (making the date reset back to March 2001.

As far as the graphics driver, when anything really intensive (like one of the effects used to warp a window when opening or closing) the entire screen would flash with random data pulled from the offscreen buffer.

The Airport would completely loose the ability to connect to any wireless network and in turn max out the CPU until you disabled the card. The only fix at the time was to restart the OS.

This update was released within a week of the Powerbooks being out on the market (so was resolved somewhat quickly).

By the way, these were not isolated incidents. My organization purchased 24 of these to replace the former 450 MHz iBooks.

By the way, I would like to give a shout out to the general manager at the Lynnwood, WA Apple Store who allowed us to exchange the 12 that we had purchased a month before (5,8's with 5,9's), including a significant refund (due to the price drop). We were so happy with her handling of the "non-situation" that we went ahead and replaced the last of our systems.

Getting back to point, point updates absolutely fix "hardware-specific" problems.