When do they charge your credit card?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by j26, Sep 15, 2006.

1. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

My macbook has shipped (yay!!), but when I logged in to my bank, I noticed that my credit card still hasn't been charged for it.

I remember reading somewhere that the card is charged when it ships. I'm just curious because the estimated delivery date is quite long (27th), and UPS has no record of the tracking number.

It makes me wonder if it has in fact shipped.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It can take a day or so for the charge to show up on your account...don't worry, they won't forget.

In this age of computers, we expect everything to be updated in real-time, but it's not. It does seem like a long estimated delivery date, but it may not have been updated by Apple when your computer shipped before it was expected. I'd imagine the UPS site will start recognizing your tracking number later today or tomorrow.

3. j26 thread starter macrumors 65832

j26

It actually shipped on the expected date, but the estimated delivery date prior to shipping was 19th, but it has now changed to the 27th.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Hmm...I don't know then. You could always give Apple a ring to inquire about the apparent long shipping time. But I might give it 24 hours to see if things get updated.

5. j26 thread starter macrumors 65832

j26

I think I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

It's just with all the merom rumors, I'm wondering if the 27th (just after the Photokina thing) is in any way significant </wishful thinking>.
    Also, given that the iPod has fallen in price, I'm curious as to whether they charge me the updated price or the original price. I don't mind paying the original price (I'm getting the student deal), but it would be a little mean minded to charge the full whack.

6. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

When you call, point that out and ask.

Are you talking about the nano deal, though? Because the new prices are for the new nanos.. the old ones are still the same, no (do they even still actually SELL the old ones, other than to students)? also, does it matter? since you're getting the rebate back anyways, who cares? even if the prices have technically dropped, i'm sure they'll want to keep it simple and keep the prices and the rebates the same.. i mean, it's not as though they'd give you $179 back for buying a $149 product (or whatever it is now).. your rebate would still just cover the cost that you paid.

7. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

It took them forever to charge my card.

I ordered my iMac last Thursday. It shipped Friday. The charge didn't show on my bank account until Tuesday.

Also, re shipping times: When I ordered the estimated delivery was Wednesday. When it shipped, FedEx said Friday which made me very sad indeed. It came Wednesday after all though, so I guess FedEx was just giving themselves some weasel room.

8. j26 thread starter macrumors 65832

j26

It's a 30Gig iPod which used to cost €303 (€329 non-edu) is now €289. I tried sticking a macbook and iPod into the basket earlier today and it came up as €289, so if I bought today I'd get the lower price. The rebate is €160. The actual difference is only €14, but then again that would be 14 songs or 3 games, and the principle of it is relevant too.

9. evanrousso macrumors 6502

Well they charged my card but on the apple site it says that my macbook still hasnt shipped. I hope they ship it early!!!

10. iGary Guest

iGary

I've had the charge take as long as a week. :eek:

But usually a day or two.

11. manosaurus macrumors 6502

manosaurus

My bank card was not charged until a week (7 days exactly) after I actually had the MB in hand. I was obviously hoping that they missed something, lol. Apple definitely won't forget though.

12. j26 thread starter macrumors 65832

j26

You could have closed your account, and got a free MB (until Bill and Ben the Repo Men turned up on your door).

13. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

Credit card processors tend to batch transactions together before charging them to the respective customers. That's why you get the lag between your order ship and when you are charged.

14. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

ohhh.. well nevermind me, then. definitely give them a ring about it. heck, if they seem hesitant, perhaps offer up the idea of getting the difference as an iTunes credit.. so ultimately they get the money, anyways.

edit: dunno the whole UK/iTunes details, so ignore me if this isn't an option.