When do you charge your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Appl3FTW, Feb 6, 2013.

?

When do you charge your iPhone?

1. 90% and more, I charge it frequently

8 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. 70%-90%

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. 50%-70%

10 vote(s)
    11.2%
  4. 30%-50%

16 vote(s)
    18.0%
  5. 30% and below, I charge it less

44 vote(s)
    49.4%
  6. I wait till my phone dies

7 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. macrumors 68040

Appl3FTW

i heard my brother in law told my sister, don't charge it yet, or else ull kill the battery life faster. meaning to say, if she charges her phone all the time, it will decrease battery life. is there validity to this? i've always thought that a healthy battery needs to constantly charge itself.

now, when do you charge your iPhone?

2. macrumors 68000

thewitt

There is info on Apple's website, but basically you can charge as often as you want without any risk to your battery life. In fact, if you let your battery go flat before charging that will actually shock the battery and impact it's life - though in a very small way.

Apple does say to run your battery to zero once in a while, but this only resets the battery percent indicator software.

3. macrumors 65816

When it needs it.

4. thread starter macrumors 68040

Appl3FTW

i do the battery power cycle here and there.. but mostly keep charging it when it's around 70%-90%

5. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I put my phone on the charger every night regardless of what percentage it's at.

6. thread starter macrumors 68040

Appl3FTW

i charge it most of the time when at work and that's it. i try not to charge it until it's around 70% tho or below

7. macrumors G3

eyoungren

I do the same. It serves as a clock/alarm on my nightstand at night. So, it's plugged in and the screen is on all night.

8. macrumors 68040

Wicked1

50-70, only because I usually do not want it to go below on a normal day, however at least once every 2 weeks I let it go all the way down and die, then fully charge it before using it again. With syncing personal and work email, sometimes I have to charge often depending on how much email I get, because Push Email kills the phone very quick when getting a lot of email or calendar invites from Exchange.

9. macrumors 6502

i'd say around 30% or every night when i sleep.

10. macrumors 6502

mines almost always on charge

11. macrumors member

+1 for every night regardless of battery percentage. It really depends on my usage for the day. Sometimes it's low, sometimes it's at like 70-80%. Yesterday I got to about 2% during work. Damned jailbreak. :p

12. macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

I charge it before I go to bed, or when it gets below 8%, whichever comes first.

13. macrumors 65816

Dino F

I've always charged my iPhone (& iPad for that matter) when it gets below 20% and you get that warning message flash up on the screen. I follow the principle of : charge it to max, use it til battery is almost dead then recharge it again.

I think it's unnecessary to charge it every night (unless its on a nightstand or something).

14. macrumors G4

Small White Car

I can't answer this poll, I do it by my location, not by the phone's percentage. My phone lives on the charger at my work desk and also at my bed. I really pay very little attention to the actual percentage meter.

15. macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

I put in to charge every night as by then it is down to about 10%

16. macrumors 68020

I also charge my phone at night while I'm asleep. Usually as long as my battery is below 50%, I charge it. If not, then I will usually just charge it at work the next day. But since I use the Sleep Cycle app to analze my sleep, my iPhone is always plugged in at night.

17. macrumors 6502a

Usually just charge it when I go to bed, but I also charge it when I get home from work.

18. macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

I put it on charge after it goes under 20 % :D through the night

19. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

I usually don't put my iPhone on the charger until it is 20% or below.

20. macrumors 601

Your brother in law must be over 30+ at least, because he's thinking of the old Nickel Cadmium (NiCd) batteries of past, which yes, is better be discharged completely before charging, this does not apply to modern Lithium Ion (Li-Ion).

Some power tools still use NiCd and more are switching to Li-Ion. So yes you have to think, no one size fits all.

So next time when "insert your friend's name here" says you should rotate your tires THIS way. Ask how old that information is.

21. macrumors 65816

I usually dont charge during the day unless I'm using my phone a lot.

I charge every night while sleeping. Sometimes when I plug it in at the end of the day, my charge is at 60%-50%-40%, it all depends on how intensely I used it.

22. macrumors 601

PNutts

Not true. Per Apple: Charge whenever you want and let it run down completely once a month.

23. macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Lithium-ion battery technology has improved to the point where you can charge and discharge whenever you like. You don't need to discharge it completely the first time you use it. You should cycle it every now and then if you don't use the device/battery often (Apple recommends once a month) to get the electrons flowing but that's about it. That is not to say you should discharge the battery until it's physically at 0% (even when the software battery percentage indicator says 0%, there is still about ~<=5% charge on the battery itself) or abuse the battery. Just use it and that's it.

24. macrumors 65816

adam044

I dont really fit into any of these categories. Put it on the charger when I go to bed so its different all the time

25. macrumors 68000

TyPod

I charge mine every night when I go to bed. Or at work if I forget to charge it at night.