When do you think a higher capacity ipod touch will be released?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dechristo, Sep 12, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

I am in a dillema. My old school 40 gb died a few weeks ago and I have about 37 gbs of music. I really want to replace it with a touch, but 16 gb obviously is not enough capacity for me. If apple doubled the size to 32 gb, that would be sufficient. If it takes a year for this to happen, I will get the 16 gb touch and sell it when the 32 comes out. If its gonna come out in the next 3 to 6 months, I would probably hold out.

Any educated or uneducated guesses are appreciated.

2. macrumors 6502

It took nanos a year to go from 4gb to 8gb. It was another year before Touch with 16gb came out at a much higher price. It could be quite awhile until 32gb flash memory comes down enough in price for Apple to utilize.

3. macrumors 68040

emotion

In the spring maybe.

Hang on given you US peeps call autumn 'fall' do you call spring 'rise'? :)

4. macrumors Core

late spring at the earliest would be my guess personally.

5. macrumors 6502a

yeah just go0 for the 16gb touch and make some playlists of your good music. it'll be a while 'til we see a 32gb iPod touch.

6. macrumors 65816

iDAG

I agree with this, it will be about another year or so. I think you would be better off with a classic if you like to have it all with you.

7. macrumors 6502

sometime after the current ones are released.

8. macrumors 65816

iDAG

This is the most accurate answer u will get:D

9. macrumors 601

I say that It'll be about a year from now. Spring iPods updates disrupt the natural Apple update cycle... Also the fact that 32GB of flash is currently quite expensive at that (physical) size of the chip.

10. macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Yup!

It is a shot in the dark when they will be released or if they will be released at all... There could be something new by the time 32GB's comes out..

If I were to guess I would say you would maybe see a revision Fall 08'

Already looking for a new iPod Touch and the current one isn't even released yet... :rolleyes:

11. macrumors 65816

iCantwait

about 365 days to see a 30ishGB, flash is getting cheaper rember when a 256mb drive was ALOT ($100+:eek:) now u can get 4gb sticks for less than $30.:p
    i'm trying to convert AUD$ to USD$ btw:D

12. macrumors 6502

I'd say it will be a few years if it is flash based - simply because of the expense...

If it is a hard drive - then it is anyone's guess..

13. thread starter macrumors newbie

I know I know. I am not really looking for a new one, just trying to decide whether to buy the 16 gb or not.

14. macrumors 603

mrkramer

well since 32Gb of Flash is around $500 I don't think that we will see an increase in capacity for a while, we will probably get an update to new features but not much of a size bump around next fall and I'm guessing that we will see 32GB a year from that.

15. macrumors 6502

Macworld, man...Macworld.

I say February. I think we'll see a 32 gb Touch, a 16 gb Nano, and a 16 gb iPhone all on the same day. I YOUD say that MacWorld will be all about the iMac, but I think the next thing for the iMac is gonna be a full ground-up form-factor redesign, something for which it is quite overdue. But since we just go t3h Aluminum iMac, that seems unlikely. The iPod is the core of the apple biz. G1 products are ALWAYS Beta testers in the eyes of Apple. By then, the iPhone will be 8 months old, and the iTouch will be not far behind. Seems obvious to me that the iPhone was a tester to see just how popular a touch-screen device would be (and why not release that to include the one element Mac peeps have been clamboring for for years, that being a mobile phone). Now the iTouch is here...but very limited. The votes are in...people want larger capacity and physical volume buttons. A slightly less outspoken crowd wants e-mail (which seems silly to me, since any 3rd-party dev. can come up with a POP e-mail client). I would be more than a little surprised if we didn't get at least one of those things, and it seems to me that higher capacity is the change that requires the least amount of tinkering with the actual device. I'll likely be the same price-point as the 16 is now, but that's to be expected. Good news for you penny pinchers...they'll likely do away with the 8 gb altogether and price the 16gb at the 8gb's launch price.

So needless to say...I'm buying my iTouch in February...hopefully. 87

16. macrumors 6502

17. macrumors 6502

I mean $10/mb. Math is hard.

18. macrumors 65816

Cloudane

My guess would be 6-12 months you'll see 32GB and 160GB (HDD) models.

19. macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I don't think we'll ever see a HDD touch. Too many complications with access speed, battery life, etc.

20. macrumors 6502

"...a whopping 5 Gigabytes. That's a THOUSAND songs, in your pocket. For most people, that's their entire music library." - Jobs

"640k oughta be enough for everybody." - Gates

Things change...

21. macrumors 6502

then again, I agree that we'll never see an HDD touch, but that's simply because the HDD has maybe 2 or 3 good years left, and then it's out to pasture for that tech. SATA is about as fast as you can possibly get (famous last words) for a solid state drive. Flash is the way of the future, for sure.

22. macrumors 6502

Macworld, man...Macworld.

I say February. I think we'll see a 32 gb Touch, a 16 gb Nano, and a 16 gb iPhone all on the same day. I YOUD say that MacWorld will be all about the iMac, but I think the next thing for the iMac is gonna be a full ground-up form-factor redesign, something for which it is quite overdue. But since we just go t3h Aluminum iMac, that seems unlikely. The iPod is the core of the apple biz. G1 products are ALWAYS Beta testers in the eyes of Apple. By then, the iPhone will be 8 months old, and the iTouch will be not far behind. Seems obvious to me that the iPhone was a tester to see just how popular a touch-screen device would be (and why not release that to include the one element Mac peeps have been clamboring for for years, that being a mobile phone). Now the iTouch is here...but very limited. The votes are in...people want larger capacity and physical volume buttons. A slightly less outspoken crowd wants e-mail (which seems silly to me, since any 3rd-party dev. can come up with a POP e-mail client). I would be more than a little surprised if we didn't get at least one of those things, and it seems to me that higher capacity is the change that requires the least amount of tinkering with the actual device. I'll likely be the same price-point as the 16 is now, but that's to be expected. Good news for you penny pinchers...they'll likely do away with the 8 gb altogether and price the 16gb at the 8gb's launch price.

So needless to say...I'm buying my iTouch in February...hopefully. 87

23. macrumors 65816

jackc

Anything less than a year is wishful thinking. I hope I'm wrong though.

24. macrumors 6502

25. macrumors 68030

jmpage2