When do you think they will update the iBook line?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mjstew33, May 31, 2005.

1. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I have been wanting an iBook for soooo long. And I don't want to spend ALL of my money now and they will update the line in a short period of time after I buy. What I am asking is what do you think the update will be? When? :confused:

I am more focused on the WHEN than the WHAT but the what is important too. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Lilstewart92

2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Use the search button, there are tons of threads on this. But to answer your question, imo it will either be next week at WWDC, or it will be a while, possibly 2-6 month. There is very little Apple can do, because the PB line is so close to the iBook in speed...

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I hope they update them at WWDC, but that seems unlikely. :(
    Reason being, is that they would need to update the PowerBooks first which means a PowerBook G5 which does not seem to be very likely. Although if they went with a dual-core G4 in the Powerbooks at WWDC then a iBook upgrade would probably occur (at WWDC or a bit later).

Only time will tell... :rolleyes:

4. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

wait another month and then buy-apple will either update it now or wait until after all edu orders are furfilled and all edu promos expire (like october)
    i think they'll upgrade it in june, maybe a slight price cut, slightly faster processor, faster graphic card (like 64MB 9600 to fully take advantage of OS 10.4), bluetooth 2.0 option, and maybe some faster HD options (a 5400 rpm drive)

5. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Q: When do you think they will update the iBook line?

A: When they're ready, but most likely around WWDC.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I for one hope they don't change the look of the iBooks. I reckon they're probably the most beautiful piece of hardware Apple's ever done. Sure they're getting old, but I'm always getting girls coming up to me at uni to check mine out. Of course, they could just be interested in my devilish good looks...

Hey guys, what's with the awkward silence?

7. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

Thanks for all the responses.. I think they will update them at the WWDC also. I hope, that is. I think they might update the processor to 1.42GHz (14") (1.33GHz 12") and a better graphics card to fullfill Tiger - like 9600 w/ 64mb VRAM... Maybe faster harddrives? Bluetooth Standard?

These are just hopes but I am postive about the processor upgrades.

8. Willy S macrumors 6502

9. tristan macrumors 6502a

Never! We'll go to our graves with these iBooks. Our last words will be "maybe next tuesday." :)

Seriously, they'll do it right after the end of August just to screw with the "back-to-school" crowd. Then they'll do the PB a few weeks later.

10. Willy S macrumors 6502

11. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

that's a hell of a long time!

12. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

I'm betting next week it is. I've seen a few rebates mentioned that expire on the 25th or so. It seems like something is due out pretty soon and that would likely be the iBook.

13. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Well, if not next Tuesday then maybe the Tuesday after. Would Apple give a buffer of a week after the promos end?

This is so pathetic!! Look at us!! We're guessing on what is essentially bollocks! :eek:

14. asqy macrumors regular

2-3 years :p

15. asqy macrumors regular

Oh great using our apples to pull girls. Sooper :p

16. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

LOL, why else join a rumor site except to be pathetic and try and figure out Apple's next move.

I had also thought they might wait another week but that seems like more of a hassle because you can get angry customers who buy the soon to be replaced stuff with no discount. I guess as it is, the only people getting the rebates that I know of are educational people and people in Singapore.

17. raxlx macrumors newbie

People in Singapore?

Yoz! We people in Singapore DO NOT get any rebates... It's just some voucher stuff that allow us to obtain ram upgrade or purchase accessories in the Apple store when we make our purchase there. So there is no much choice like a BTO, no upgrade of HDD, no Bluetooth option.. NONE!

So I am really hoping that the new iBook will be launched soon, for the sake of our waiting time.

BTW, so far, only the US iBook website has been updated with TIGER, no other country (I think) has made the amendment on the website regarding the system that comes with iBook. Strangely, the only 3 Mac family product that did not receive the update on its website are iBook, PowerBook and Mac mini.

Web:
    http://www.apple.com.sg/ibook/
    http://www.apple.com.sg/powerbook/
    http://www.apple.com.sg/macmini

To compare:
    http://www.apple.com/ibook
    http://www.apple.com/powerbook
    http://www.apple.com/macmini

18. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

That's only recent too!! Cause about a week or so ago it was still saying Panther. Hmm.... is this a good thing or bad thing?

19. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Sorry guys, not gonna happen. PBs need to be updated before iBooks, because the next step up for current iBooks put them at PB speed. And PB speed with the G4 has hit the wall so they can't be updated until June 2006 when the intel chips come out. So no new iBooks and no new PBs for a whole year! :p

20. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Do you want to make people cry?!!?

The reality is, the iBooks and PBs have been even closer before. An update will happen. It must!

21. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I'm kidding of course. :) The fact is that no one knows for sure except Steve and that chick on that "Medium" show.

22. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I don't really think they could wait a whole year to update the laptop lines. There will HAVE to be something before the intel-macs come along or sales will be completely non-existant by the time they do update.

23. The_Man macrumors 6502

The_Man

Powerbook DO NOT need to be updated before iBooks because these two laptops appeal to different markets.
    Also look at all the other products that even OVERLAP in speed. The iMac is equal to the low end powermac, and a few weeks ago even surpassed the lowend powermac. Same is true for the eMac and the iMac. So why cant the iBook and Powerbook even get close?
    Plus no matter what, the 12" iBook will never get to the 12" powerbook, the only thing that might get close is the 14" iBook to the 12" PB. Even if the !4" iB got close to the 12" PB, size would still be an issue, not to mention the different markets the two different markets the products appeal to.

ALSO, the apple website is still reffering to the current PB's as "THE NEW POWERBOOK" so how can apple update the PB when they are still calling it "new" (Plus that means that apple would have updated the PB twice before updating the iB once.)

I also doubt that the G4 has "hit the wall" with PB, I'm sure apple could bump it up 200 mhz all around if they needed to. They have much faster processors in the other units, I'm sure they could easily give it a small bump if they needed to in the future

So basically mcarns, you entire post is wrong.

24. evolutioneight macrumors member

The new colour of the iBook will be.....grey. They've strategically played white out now that everyone is copying them, and no one does grey anymore so they're going to make it cool. Black would be the obvious choice because it is the new white after all. However they're going to come right out of nowhere. Truuust me. ;)

25. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

You may have been joking but see how defensive everyone is getting? :D

It just goes to show how 'on-edge' everyone is at the moment waiting for the iBooks to be updated. We're a fickle bunch.