Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
do you guys think someone can put a bigger flash drive into a 16gb touch? can they do that with the normal ipods?

With a product like the ipod mini you can, as CF cards and the MicroHD of the mini use the same connector, so you can have a 16gig ipod mini that uses less battery. I think this mod also works on the 5gig and 10gig(15gig?) ipod's also. However, with the Nano and Touch that would be more of a harder thing to do as they are flash chips.

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
I agree with most of the posters on seeing a 32gb iPod touch at least a year from when it was released (would would have been October 2007).

As much as I like the touch, I'm thinking I need to wait for the 32gb version, which would replace my current 5G 30gb iPod video.

$400 for something that doesn't hold as much as my current iPod is something I can wait longer for.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
i took a 2nd look at NOKIA N800/770, and it looks pretty decent. SD slot support up to 8G card. Linux OS, plenty of 3rd party free apps. Full featured Opera browser, 800x400 res. play all type of music, video. touch screen

Only cons is slow CPU. ALso the design can't compete with apple.

So its another functionality vs. design.. why can't they learn from each other and deliver a perfect product?

There is the newer model that is similar to the 800 but comes with a slide out keyboard. Nice thing about the Nokia is you get Palm emulation support for PDA functions.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
I can wait until spring. But waiting a whole year while drooling over the iPod touch in the Apple Store would be brutal.

The more I look at it the more i want it. But the more i look at my vast music collection, the more i realize that 16GB won't cut it.

They need to bridge the gap in the iPod line. It jumps from 16GB to 80GB.

I think it'll be in the fall, not spring. Fall is when Apple tends to refresh their iPod line. Not to say they definitely won't update it sooner than that, just that realistically it may not occur until September or so...

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I agree with most of the posters on seeing a 32gb iPod touch at least a year from when it was released (would would have been October 2007).

As much as I like the touch, I'm thinking I need to wait for the 32gb version, which would replace my current 5G 30gb iPod video.

$400 for something that doesn't hold as much as my current iPod is something I can wait longer for.

Think of it more like $250 for a 16gb iPod and $150 for a portable internet portal/PDA that both happen to be in the same casing and it seems like a better deal.

I'm planning to replace my 30gb video with a 16gb touch (unless I break down and get an iPhone, which is more and more unlikely as time goes on) and th capacity drop doesn't really even cross my min, as my iPod before the video was a 4gb nano, so I learned how to use smart playlists to make sure the "right" music is handy. It's not that hard once you put a few minutes into creating the playlists.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Creative's Zen is now shipping with 32GB capacity. Price - $349.99.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/19/creatives-32gb-zen-finally-on-sale/#comments

As for the touch, i'd say September.

I wonder if they're using 4x8gb chips or 2x16gb chips... the touch, unless they redesign it, would need 2x16gb. Anyways, it'll be after the Back to School promo.

Now, I read an interesting rumor that the iPhone will be getting a 16gb version at MW08... I'm assuming that it'll be $499, so will just tack onto the top end of the iPod/iPhone line, but it'll be interesting to see what happens.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Not happening until Sept./Oct. 2008

Apple has a history of updating iPod's once a year in time for the holidays. IMO, Apple will only update the iPod Touch once the iPhone is at least 16GB AND they have another update ready for September/October 2008. If the 16Gb iPhone is announced at Macworld, they will need to get FCC approval meaning an June launch again. Being 64GB chips will not be available by fall 2008 the Holiday update will be a 32GB iPod Touch in the Sept./Oct. timeframe, Apple has to do something to get people to put them under the tree.

JohnMC

macbattle

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2007
I wonder if they're using 4x8gb chips or 2x16gb chips... the touch, unless they redesign it, would need 2x16gb. Anyways, it'll be after the Back to School promo.

Now, I read an interesting rumor that the iPhone will be getting a 16gb version at MW08... I'm assuming that it'll be $499, so will just tack onto the top end of the iPod/iPhone line, but it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Two 16gb. But this news is 3 weeks old almost. Shame the Nano maxes out at 8gb, while ever other company has either 16gb, 8gb with some form of SD expansion or in Creatives case some form of all the above and a 32gb model with SD expansion. Shame if Apple goes to 32gb in Sept, we might see competitors doing 32gb and 8gb(i.e. 40gb) all the way to 32gb and 32gb(i.e. 64gb) in one device.

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
...so I learned how to use smart playlists to make sure the "right" music is handy. It's not that hard once you put a few minutes into creating the playlists.

Yeah, I've been putting a lot of my songs into both regular and smart playlists for my 4g nano (blue 2G), so I'm part of the way there.

I ended up getting my finace a 16gb iPod touch for christmas, so I'll get some time to play around with some playlists for her.

From most of the comments, I think it's going to be September 2008 before we see any changes to the touch, unless they do an update to add things like email and other software.

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
Apple has a history of updating iPod's once a year in time for the holidays. IMO, Apple will only update the iPod Touch once the iPhone is at least 16GB AND they have another update ready for September/October 2008.

I think you may be right on this one, due to Apple not wanting to leap frog the touch over the iPhone. Although, the iPhone was only at 4gb/8gb when the 8gb/16gb touch came out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.