When do you upgrade your computer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ejb190, Feb 8, 2007.

1. ejb190 macrumors 65816

Right now I have a 12" Powerbook Rev. A running 10.4.8. I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon as this system does everything I need it to. I tend to be rather slow in upgrading software, often skipping several versions so I can usually get along with older hardware. In fact, I don't see a good reason to buy 10.5 when it comes out.

My question to you folks is this: What criteria do you use to decide to get a new computer? Do you need the latest hardware? Run it till it dies? Replace every two years? What is your philosophy?
  2. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2006
    Flyover country
    This may sound kind of stupid, but, I buy new computer when I feel like it. If you like your Powerbook, and don't feel like it, I don't see any reason why you should upgrade any time soon.

In the case of my current machine (Rev A. Macbook), I pretty much decided early on that I liked this computer enough to use it until it dies. I don't see myself feeling the urge to replace this machine any time soon. I use it, and enjoy using it, more than any computer that I've ever owned.

Of course, I reserve the right to take back everything I just said if Apple comes out with a 12" model. The gadget lust would be far too much for me to handle.
  3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Mar 21, 2006
    when ever something doesn't quite do it any more i find the problem and upgrade it. I also determine if it is cost effective to buy the upgrade or wait a while to buy a new comp.
  4. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    Whenever it doesn't play a game to my satisfaction. I originally upgraded to an iMac from a frankenstein pc 4 years ago in order to play Stronghold. I just upgraded from that g4-800 this winter to a c2d-2.0 in order to play WoW. Hopefully, this machine will last another 4 years before I have to upgrade in order to play whatever game is out in 2011.
  5. sushi Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002
    I tend to purchase a new computer when I need to upgrade my capability or performance.

Otherwise, I just keep using what I have.
  6. valdore macrumors 65816

Jan 9, 2007
    Kansas City, Missouri. USA
    I'll be retiring my nearly three year old Dell desktop Peecee after the iMac gets a form factor and processor upgrade. Could be another year.
  7. smueboy macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2006
    I used my Ti powerbook until it was becoming frustrating to use the latest apps that i need for work because they were so slow. Since i mostly stay up to date with apps and OS versions, every 4-5 years i need to upgrade the computer to give me enough performance.
  8. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    i upgrade when the computer no longer does what i need it to do in the time i'd like it done.

for instance, on my MBP, Safari opens after 1 bounce in the dock (as do most other applications - anything using Rosetta takes a few more). on my PPC mini it used to take 20 bounces before Safari opened the homepage. that's when i knew it was time to upgrade.
  9. mrkramer macrumors 603

Jul 11, 2006
    I upgrade when I have the money, and feel like I need it.
  10. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

Mar 16, 2005
    Oxfordshire, UK
    When i need too.

Other than pure, mines bigger than yours, is there really any other reason?
  11. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

Jul 30, 2006
    my last computer was purchased in 1997. my current one was purchased in nov 2006... :eek:

i guess i tend it hold on to it till i can't stand the slowness any longer. but i'd purchase a smaller MBP in a heartbeat.
  12. Xyl macrumors regular

Dec 30, 2006
    Games is not my first priority...
    But because games are the ones that usually test the performance of your machine, I get a new computer when it becomes impossible to play many of the new games. Impossible means it won't load, even if it's slow and still playable, I won't get a new machine. With that said, this amounts to every 4-6 years.
  13. itsme92 Guest

There's truth in those words. I think you should just stay with your Powerbook. It's still a relatively new computer. I have two Dell desktops under my roof, bought at the end of 2001 and 2002, and they are both running great, and I've got no plans in the short term to replace them. I can understand upgrading your computer often if you use it for business, but other than that, you should stick with what you've got. Your laptop has a G4 in it, so in my book it's still pretty new. But, then I'm the one to run my technology into the ground before I buy new tech. Otherwise, it's just a huge drain on your money.
  14. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    When you realise you cannot stand running your 12" PowerBook constantly in close lid operation because the inverter for your screen has stopped working.

I'm getting a 17" MBP when they get updated to my satisfaction.
  15. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2005
    At the Airport. UK
    i will upgrade my PB to something smaller, possibly a macbook, when this thing breaks. and only then......i dont see the point in spilling a substantial amount of money just to have the latest and greatest computers if the amount of benefit derived is not significantly different to the benefit i get now. the only other possibility is that my computer becomes incompatible with a piece of hardware or software i need for my work, and i am limited significantly by that. those are the two scenarios. oh, and theft, which i hope will never happen...my PB has some sentimental value.

thats just me.

16. RedTomato macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2005
    .. London ..
    I tend to start thinking about buying a new computer (or stuff in an upgrade) whenever I can buy double the power for the same price as the old computer / component.

That works out to happen about every three years. It does depend on how fast tech moves and how fast prices come down.

The nice thing is that this works at whichever price point you feel comfortable at, whether it's paying $30 for a new graphics card for an old PC or paying £1200 for a new laptop. Also works for digital cameras.
  17. siurpeeman macrumors 603

Dec 2, 2006
    the OC
    i feel the same way. i buy a new computer pretty much when i feel like it (averages out to one about every two or three years). my current macbook c2d replaced a dual 2.0 ghz g5. overall performance is ever-so-slightly faster, but it's pretty much the same. i bought a new computer, because i felt like it. that, and i wanted a mac with an intel processor.
  18. daneoni macrumors G4

Mar 24, 2006
    I upgrade when a new system has a key feature i'll need that i can't get on my current system or if performance is lacking. Simple as that.

For example i traded my 12" Pb for a 15" Hi-Res because i needed more real estate. Second example, I upgraded to Intel macs because the G4 was becoming a tad slow with encoding software and imaging software. The nail in the coffin was that i needed to run windows as required by my course.
  19. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    Eh, I'm a gadget-addict. If I can afford it, I want the latest and greatest.

I had my PB for 11 months. Then I went to a white MB, a month later to a Blackbook, and a couple months after that, moved to my MBP. I decided that the aluminum is what I like best.. those Macbooks just aren't my cup of tea.

Anyways, I probably won't upgrade this MBP until.. this summer? :p ...just teasin... ;)
  20. brepublican macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2005
    Great thread OP. I am also running a 12" PB (the last rev), and have been toying with the idea of upgrading. That sentence is kind of misleading, because what I'm upgrading is my desktop which is a crappy Dell. I can't stand that thing, and its only about 2 years old. I was initially going to keep the 17" LCD but I think its also gotta go. I'm thinking the 20" iMac would be an awesome replacement, and I can run Windows if need be.

As for my 12 incher, I'm keeping this baby til those heads stop spinning, I love it to bits. The iMac will make a great primary machine... Finances allowing, the move may happen this summer :apple:
  21. iBookG4user macrumors 604

Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    At my current pace, I buy a new computer every four months. Originally REALLY old Fujitsu Lifebook (P2) then 3 months later a P4 Dell inspiron 5100 and then three months later an iBook G4 14" and then 9 months later a Core Duo MacBook Pro. (looking at getting a Mac Mini and a PowerMac G4 Cube case next ;))
  22. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2005
    I really don't need much to get by, but when there is a new feature that I think would be useful for me I take it. I switched to my macbook because I needed some Windows apps (at least that's what I told myself). I don't need the fastest computer, but I do need it to be versatile. Hopefully this one will last me a few years. I've upgraded every year now for the past 3 years.
  23. mashinhead macrumors 68020

Oct 7, 2003
    i do it whenever i get sick of seeing that stupid spinning beachball.:)
  24. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

Dec 12, 2006
    Peace in Plainfield
    I usually have to have bleeding edge technology, unless its grossly overpriced. The PeeCee I am using now (my last PC ever I hope) is less than a year old and I've been eye'ing the iMac 24'' + 2gb iPod but with the date set for WWDC, I want to try ever so hard to hold out until then. I think the oldest computer I lived with was maybe 2 years old. :)
  25. ejb190 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for all the replies!

When cruising threads like "New MacPro's tomorrow" someone always posts "Time to get out the credit card" or "I've already pre-ordered". I was just wondering how many folks here need to be on phillipjfry's "Bleeding edge" as opposed to running their systems till they croak. I am starting to notice that notebook users seem to upgrade more often then desktop users. But that might be an illusion.

ricgnzlzcr - what kind of features would make you upgrade?
    Those of you who upgrade frequently, do you sell your old machine to help offset the cost?
    If you upgrade frequently, what are you doing on your machine? Work? Are you a Design or CS student?