Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Those of you who upgrade frequently, do you sell your old machine to help offset the cost?
If you upgrade frequently, what are you doing on your machine? Work? Are you a Design or CS student?

I definitely sell my old lappys to fund the new ones. In many cases, eBay has given back nearly all (or more!) of what I paid for it in the first place. That's one of the benefits of upgrading often. When I sold my white MB, I got enough to pay for the Blackbook outright (crazy!). And when I went from the Blackbook to the MBP, I actually MADE $100.

And to your second question: I'm a graphic communications student, and do quite a bit of design on the side.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I'm not on the bleeding edge, and Apple's recent lineup just doesn't "do it" for me anymore.. it's too sharp, not curvy enough, so I'm not being enticed to upgrade at all really.. it's more out of need. and my need is whenever my power brick dies and my battery dies, and my fan makes noise, and I just get too scared that my computer'll flat out die one day. Although if word ever needs over a 1.7ghz pentium M, I might be enticed to upgrade:rolleyes:

I got my current laptop over 3 years ago. I'll upgrade when I have over a grand to spare, or if this thing just doesn't turn on (which may very well happen first). My iPod is from 2003, and my mini is from feb '05 (never even upgraded to tiger).

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Right now I have a 12" Powerbook Rev. A running 10.4.8. I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon as this system does everything I need it to. I tend to be rather slow in upgrading software, often skipping several versions so I can usually get along with older hardware. In fact, I don't see a good reason to buy 10.5 when it comes out.

My question to you folks is this: What criteria do you use to decide to get a new computer? Do you need the latest hardware? Run it till it dies? Replace every two years? What is your philosophy?

1. If my hardware breaks
2. If new hardware has a feature or performance I need
3. If it's been long enough that I know I'll have issues
4. If something comes along that's just too cool

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2003
Kalifornia
I upgrade about every 2-3 years as finances allow. I'll be getting another Mac in about 6 months or so. I'm trying to do stuff with 3D graphics and my PowerBook is just too slow to render quickly and the screen is too small, but I do still love it and am trying to decide if I'm going to keep it or sell it.

ready2switch

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2006
We upgrade whenever my dad or my husband's dad upgrades. Both of us have been using hand-me-downs our entire lives (before we got married and continued after). The laptop I bought my husband back in October was probably the first NEW machine he'd EVER had. My first new machine will be the MBP I purchase post-update this spring (hopefully sooner rather than later). :D

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
I'll probably be using this MBP until it dies... hopefully at least 3 and 1/2 years from now to last me through college:)

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Typically I'll upgrade if my current setup doesn't meet my needs. I'm not one to buy just to buy. I've got a 1.25GHz G4 iMac from 2003, and I just recently (in the past 3 months) upgraded from my PIII Dell PC to a Compaq laptop for some things I need a PC for.

That being said, I'll probably switch out the iMac with a newer iteration in the next year or so, depending on what Leopard requires. I use the iMac for a lot of things, and so want to keep it more up-to-date, but I'm actually pretty cheap when it comes to buying computers. :eek:

Of course, work provides me with a MBP, so that helps to satiate my hunger for technology a little bit.

I'm more likely to keep software updated, at least to the point that the upgrade offers some tangible improvement in performance or features over what I'm currently running.

peletrane

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
I bought my 15" PBG4 in 2004, and it's been fine. I see no reason to upgrade until the HD (that's Hi Def, not Hard Disk) dust settles, when things like a Blu-Ray BURNERS and HDMI ports are commonplace on Macs, and 1900 x1080 is well-supported.
I bought a HD TV last year, and now I find out that, because its 1080i, it's not nearly as good as a 1080p...ughh!!! That settle's it for me; I'm holding out until the HD standards are settled.

Also, Logic is my measuring stick, and when my PBG4 experiences serious latency issues, I'll know I'll have to upgrage at that time.

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
I usually upgrade every 4 years or so. Once you have a machine, all you really need to do is upgrade the RAM to keep up with the times. But I know for sure that when the next Apple notebook comes out I'm getting it ASAP. The macbook just seems too fragile to me....and I don't have the $ for a MBP.

amoildani

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2004
I bought my 12 Rev. A powebook in late nov 2003. It's loaded with os x 10.3.9 since I never bothered upgraded (thinking I may upgrade the system first).

Ive had to open it up due to a malfunction in the dvd drive twice (had a few montsh where it didnt even work). The battey is now completely dead (will last a few minutes then die), and Ive had to replace the powerblock since it burnt up on me. The screen has bruises on it, and if I pick it up on its corner it automatically goes to sleep. Plus, it won't go to sleep if I close the lid, and the mouse button doesn't really 'click' very well. It's fallen twice, the second time beind yesterday (on top tile floor) and it has a nasty little dent.

I wonder if it's time to upgrade...I keep thinking I should, but I never go for it, I guess it depends on how much I'd get for it :)

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I upgrade when I have the money and the need.

I currently have the need - and not the cash :D

Neither machine we have in the house (Mac wise) will run Aperture, and i've decided it is what i want to run to catalog my pictures. I'm drowning in them.

I have a 3 year old 12" G4 iBook, 800mhz with Combo Drive. It's running, the drive has some issues reading/writing, and the trackpad should be under a recall. My Daughter is currently using it for various Homeschool stuff.

The kids have an 1.25mhz G4 eMac that is running great now. There is an intermittent USB issue, and it won't sleep - but otherwise, it's the perfect computer for the kids. I switched to running it since it has more power & RAM for photoshop.

I need something more for me, very very badly (i'm also still having to use a dying Sony R505 that is almost 6 years old - P3, for ONE application). Its just the trying to figure out how to pay for it on one income with 3 kids. Doesn't happen quick.

But i'll get there! Look at all the money I just saved "getting" FEMA to pick up fallen trees instead of having to have them removed before hurricane season.... (we had the Tornado land in our front yard - and i'm kidding, honestly i'd PAY for that to have my neighbors have homes again :()

So, when the software I need won't run on my hardware.

Tracey

ready2switch

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2006
I usually upgrade every 4 years or so. Once you have a machine, all you really need to do is upgrade the RAM to keep up with the times...

Exactly why I'm waiting for the Santa Rosa MBP to be announced before I buy. The current line will more than meet my needs now, but knowing that it is already loaded near its limit on RAM I just can't seem to make myself get one. Reading comments of users having 2gig of ram and seeing a marked improvement over 1gig only reinforces this decision. I'm currently stuck with a hand-me-down Dell that will only recognize 768meg of RAM and I don't want to be at yet another ceiling in a year or two when 4gig or more RAM is desirable.

It is my hope that when I buy my MBP, that I can use it for 4 or 5 years easily (even 6 with component upgrades) before I even consider something new.

Okay, maybe that's stretching it, but a long time. :p

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Money and need is a good general test. On money, prices keep coming down, which is great. Means the need doesn't have to be so high. My iMac G4 was $1800 four years ago. I could replace it now for $1200, and be quite happy. As for need, it's getting slow. I'll see how it runs with Leopard, but probably start to look for a new one at that point. (I may also downgrade its use by making it a secondary machine for browsing, email, etc.)

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2005
when i had enough with my computer. when i'm so mad that i want to throw this computer away, when i'm too fustrated with my computer.

well, that's how i upgraded from my pc to a mac :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.