When does apple start shipping the latest Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EGT, May 17, 2005.

1. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    I'm still running 10.3.9 here and everything has been fantastic lately, what with new (better) RAM etc ... so I have no real rush to upgrade to Tiger. I do plan on upgrading eventually, maybe when 10.4.2 or above is released.

But when will apple actually start shipping the latest OS? With yesterdays 10.4.1 release, how long would it take for it to trickle into the system? I wouldn't really mind if i ordered and received the first release but it'd be nice to be a up-to-date as possible. I *MIGHT* go ahead and upgrade to Tiger right away. Still not sure.

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    I think it typically takes quite a while -- you can just download the updates as needed, and there's usually a combined update so you don't have to install a bunch of separate updates.
  3. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

Jun 22, 2004
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    The update is only 19MB too, so unless you are on a 28.8k connection, it shouldnt take too long to update.
  4. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    Um, if you are waiting for Apple to make 10.4.2 disks, it doesn't happen that way. They will sell you 10.4 on disk, from now until ablivion, then you will have to use the Software Upgrade utility to get to the latest release. They don't just start making new disks after they do updates.
  5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    Apple won't bother making new masters of the disks or anything like that, they will always ship 4.0 on the disks and you will have to upgrade through software update, but anything past 4.1 will start coming in as combined updates for anyone below that....
  6. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Mine was 37MB.

Apple may eventually update the CDs but not for a few point releases - and only when the stock of 10.4.0 is running low. IIRC, the Panther discs were shipping as 10.3.5 or .6 by the second half of 2004.
  7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    I have 10.3.6 Disks and 10.2.4 Disks right here in my desk.