When Does Palm Stop Acting As Apple Wanna-be?

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jul 25, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. macrumors 601

Oct 26, 2008
    Geez another thread about the mac world whining about Palm.
  3. macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    San Francisco
    I don't think it's just whining. I think it raises an interesting point - why is Palm acting this way? Like the "one more thing" comment - that was a deliberate slap at Jobs. It's unprofessional, and more than that, it's weird. It's almost like there's something personal here, and who knows, maybe there is (given the crossover of employees).
  4. macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2009
    It's jealousy.
  5. macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    Every time someone buys a Pre an Apple fanboi dies.
  6. macrumors 6502

Jan 24, 2008
    Let them go at it! I like the frontal attacks from Palm and Microsoft. As desperate and childish as the attacks are, they will keep Apple on its toes!

7. macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2009
    What a stupid article. The guy seems to know nothing about Palm's history, or understand the subtlety of Palm throwing Steve Jobs phrases back at him. He doen't seem to see the issue as being just about synching with iTunes, he expects Pre to develop their own store, something even Apple is not expecting Palm to do. He ignores the other features the Pre has and focuses solely on the synching, then complains that the Pre is not unique.
  8. macrumors 604

May 28, 2005

Where as "Redmond, start your photocopiers" isn't?

Did you happen to see the number of jabs that Apple takes at MS, especially in the past WWDC keynote speech? I'm sorry, but just because Apple doesn't want anything besides an iPod and older MP3 players to sync with iTunes doesn't mean they need to break a contract to enforce it. So what if Palm has managed to figure out the sync routines? Are you [and I don't mean QCassidy specifically] that much of a sheep that you can't accept something just because Apple doesn't like it?
  9. macrumors 6502

Nov 17, 2007
    South East Texas
    What contract is Apple breaking to enforce that their software operates like it's supposed to?
  10. Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002

What happens when someone buys an iPhone. Do 10 Pre Fanbois die? :p

Competition is good that is true.

But these type of actions leave a lot to be desired.
  11. macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2007
    I dunno, I think we have seen this kind of banter between companies before. I think it's a little more public now because there is media surrounding everything and this is a pretty media friendly subject.
  12. macrumors 6502a

Feb 14, 2009
    aww apple feels threatened :) definitely switching to palm pre when its available here!
  13. macrumors 6502a

Jul 21, 2007
    I think this is an interesting topic. I'm torn though. On one hand I'd like to see the Pre succeed because it's an interesting device. On the other hand through my past interactions with Palm I'd resolved to never deal with them again. Maybe this has all changed with a change in leadership. I hope so. I really want to like the Pre (although I have no use for a physical keyboard.) I don't know what Apple's obligations are or should be in regards to 3rd party devices syncing with iTunes. I thought in the past my ancient MP3 device showed up in iTunes although I could be mistaken. I wonder if Palm ever asked Apple for permission to sync with iTunes or if there is any procedure for 3rd parties to apply? Does the Pre sync with Windows iTunes? It would seem easy enough for Palm to code their own simple syncing software using the iTunes library and playlists without actually using iTunes if need be. Although it is obviously more elegant and seamless to plug the Pre in and use iTunes. But iTunes syncing is really the least of my concerns about the Pre. Their apps are the real concern.
  14. macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Palm "stole" Apple's patented multi-touch gestures. Palm "palmed" Apple's iTunes, which also happens to be the world's most popular jukebox software.
  15. macrumors 601

Oct 26, 2008
    maybe apple can steal from palm and incorporate a couple of things from Palm;

real push functionality
    running programs in the background
    swipe to exit a program

Would that would be a fair exchange for itunes syncing and multitouch gestures?
  16. macrumors 601

Jan 13, 2002
    That would be beating a dead horse.
  17. macrumors 604

Jan 26, 2008
    Isla Nublar
    Palm Pre = Boring.

Just like every other palm device.
  18. macrumors 6502

Aug 14, 2002
    Zurich, Switzerland
    It's unprofessional when Jobs did it too.

For years I have wished that there were more companies like Apple. And now that there are, I won't complain.

It is nice to have the Palm Pre as an alternative to the iPhone. It will make both products better. Steve Jobs should realise that the Palm Pre is not an iPhone killer but an ally against the Blackberry, Windows Mobile, and all those Java-based devices.

I would feel more comfortable with buying the Apple stack of stuff (and I have an octo-core Mac Pro, a MacBook, and an iPhone) when I know that I can replace parts of the stack with non-Apple components without losing the integrated feeling completely.

The Palm Pre is from all I hear and read an excellent device. It should sync with the best music player software! Apple should just give Palm a licence to make the Palm Pre an official iPod device and that's that.
  19. macrumors 601

Jun 19, 2007
    Plymouth, MN
    No. Apple should not give Palm anything. It has nothing to do with iTunes being good or bad. Apple has no obligation to any other phone maker other then themselves. It doesn't matter what you think should happen. Apple made a choice and they said 'No" That's all that matters.
  20. macrumors 6502

Aug 14, 2002
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Yeah, right, if Apple doesn't have to do something, they shouldn't. Very wise, especially coming from an Apple _user_.

Don't you feel like an idiot when you are promoting a policy that will only harm you? Why do you think Apple fan boys are the laughing stock of the greater community of computer users?

It DOES matter what I think should happen. I am a customer.

It also matters what you think should happen, but since you think that customers don't matter, you are not useful input for Apple.

What is your true and own opinion on this? Do you want the Palm Pre to sync with iTunes or not? And if not, pray tell me what your personal advantage is when the Pre cannot sync. How is YOUR life better when the Palm pre cannot sync with iTunes?
  21. macrumors regular

May 26, 2008
    i guess it says a lot about apple when people start using terms like " apple fanboy". i mean, all popular singers and car brands have fans behind them but whoever heard of palm fanboy or microsoft fanboy.

btw, i would love to own the pre when it becomes available in my country. for now, the iphone will suffice.
  22. macrumors 6502

Aug 14, 2002
    Zurich, Switzerland
    There are Microsoft fanboys. But very few of them actually hope that some combination of hardware and software WON'T work.

"I hope Microsoft won't support connecting this device X to Microsoft software Y." is simply not a sentence a Microsoft fanboy will ever say.

It doesn't say much about Apple and more about certain Apple fans.

Apple does some major things right, but look at the title of this discussion: " When Does Palm Stop Acting As Apple Wanna-be?".

Are we really convinced that a) Apple does the right thing and b) nobody else should? What are we if we really don't want more than one company to do the right thing?

And I for one will want you to remain or be a Mac user even if you don't like the iPhone and use your Palm Pre, which I hope you will get, with Macintosh hardware and iTunes.

Once the Pre becomes available here in Ireland without contract (I already have an iPhone*), I will buy one too. I like technology.

*I have the original iPhone since Apple and o2 don't have anything newer in stock. I would happily pay lots of money for a 3GS, but I can't. And they don't accept pre-orders or orders either. Ironically I have a phone insurance which would replace my current iPhone if I lose it. But with what???
  23. macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Oct 21, 2008
    So everyone loves Apple, but when another company emulates Apple, everyone hates it? LOL.
  24. macrumors 68020

Feb 2, 2007
    Pasadena CA
    What's unprofessional is issuing an iTunes update purely to break some iTunes users who want to put their music library onto something other than an Apple device. Infact, I'd say it's childish.

They'll issue another update, and so Palm will respond with another update for their phone. And in the overlap, Palm customers will think iTunes is broken. This will make Apple look bad.
  25. macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2006
    Norfolk, UK
    If palm stole Apples patents why has there been no legal action, could it perhaps be that maybe apple has a few of palms patents hidden inside the iphone, plam has been in the portable computer game a hell of a long time :rolleyes:

As to the issue with itunes - personally I see the ability to use itunes only as an additional feature, given for convenience rather than as a make or break option, iirc the pre can also drag and drop music which means it can use any file browser like a flash drive can too and palm has said that they can use other programs too if needed.

Theres also this minor issue that on a mac there is only really one music player, itunes, and 99% of mac users probably use this to store their music.

Apple chose to have itunes locked to just their devices, users didn't ask for this feature and in my view it shouldn't be the case. If I want to use another device other than an ipod in the only music player on my mac (itunes) then I should be able to.

If windows media player suddenly stopped supporting any media player other than their zune, there would be calls of foul play in the same way as they have received over internet explorer. Why is it that apple can do the same thing yet are being seen as the good guys :confused: