When does the 1 year Apple warranty start?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Elan0204, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Does anyone know when the 1 year Apple warranty starts on new computer purchases? I just bought a new iMac G5 and want to make a note of the exact date the warranty will end.

Did it start when I ordered my new iMac on September 10th?

Did it start when it shipped on the 18th?

Or, will it start when I get my iMac on the 24th?

2. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

thats a good question.... i never thought of that

3. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Apple's warranty obligations are limited to the terms set forth below: Apple Computer, Inc. ("Apple") warrants this hardware product against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of original retail purchase.

So that basically translates to the date you have the product if you bought it at an Apple Store. If you bought it online, the warranty will start the date the product is delivered to you. It's no surprise if Apple use the order date as the start date for the warranty, they'll get a lot of pissed off customers w/ Apple's perpetual delays, ie, G5 Dual 2.5GHz.

4. Elan0204 thread starter macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I think it is pretty safe to assume that the warranty doesn't start they day you order the product, I just listed the option for the sake of completely offering the possibilities.

FuzzyBallz, in the case of the retail store purchase, the warranty would clearly start on the day of purchase, but I think the situation is a little more vague with online orders. "The date of original retail purchase," for an online purchase could be when you are billed, so maybe the ship date is when the warranty begins. It seems like it would be more difficult to use the delivery date because then Apple has to check the tracking information and update their records accordingly. Apple could also use the registration you fill out when you first turn on the computer, but what if you never register?

I suspect that Apple uses the ship date, but that seems unfair to me, so I was hoping someone could tell me otherwise.

5. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Well, if you want a definitive answer, you can always call Apple up.

And it's not rocket science for Apple to find out when the product will deliver since that date comes up along w/ ship date.

6. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

It starts they day it was ordered. That comes from the mouth of an Apple Care Rep.

7. Elan0204 thread starter macrumors 65816

Elan0204

There is no way that is right. That would mean that peoples' dual 2.5GHz G5 systems have already used several months of the one year warranty before they have been paid for or shipped.

8. Elan0204 thread starter macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I could, but the MacRumors community tends to be more informed than Apple cutomer care reps and Mac Geniuses, so I think I'll wait a while longer for an answer here.

Just take a look at the answer OnceUGoMac got from an Apple rep for proof of my point.

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

when they charge your credit card?

you havent "purchased" it until they take your money

10. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Now that's just total BS. So the consumers get penalize for Apple's incompetence? Either that, or the Apple Rep you spoke to is as competent or well informed as one of those "I RTFM" Apple Genius.

11. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

if i ordered a 2.5 months ago i would be on the phone... um NOW

12. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

yes, this is essential to understand - apple cannot start the warranty period before they charge money from you.

13. Elan0204 thread starter macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Yeah, I think we can all agree on this, regardless of what the misinformed AppleCare Rep told OnceUGoMac.

Really, I think the start date is one of the following:

1) The day when your computer ships (which is also the day you are charged)

2) The day when FedEx/UPS delivers your computer

14. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

either way, apple will be calling you up before the year is out to try and get you to upgrade to full applecare. so no worries if you're not exactly sure on the date now (because they will tell you)

15. Elan0204 thread starter macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I never got a call from Apple for my current Mac.

16. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Same. I've registered every damn Mac purchased in the past 4 years, Four G4 PMs, no calls. I demand an AppleCare solicitation phone call from Apple damn it.

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The delivery date is the easiest to use. They also have the date that you sign for your Fed-Ex delivery. Either way there would only be a one week discrepancy.

18. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I would think that it starts when you first register your Mac with Apple. When you do that, now Apple has the model of your Mac, the serial #, and all kinds of other information that you have provided when going through the Mac OS X setup assistant. So its not a wise to NOT register your Mac with Apple. Otherwise you may have problems getting service when needed for free under the warranty. This may also effect getting the AppleCare extended warranty.

19. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

So some genius can register his Mac 1 year from the date of actual purchase and get 2 years of "warranty" if nothing happens in the 1st year?

20. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Not the case, Apple does usually have a good idea when the computer is purchased at the store, I think the registration just confirms you own the computer, I could be mistaken. It seems open to interpretation since in the G5 case there should be no reason why Apple would start your warranty when you bought the computer when you have to wait 6 months to get it.

On another note: The AppleCare Protection Plan HAS to be registered. You either have to send in the card, call Apple, or register via email with your agreement number. You can also have an Apple technician extend your coverage over the phone.
    I have seen many people who have bought the AppleCare package and have failed to register it, then when their one year warranty expires it can become very tricky to get a computer re covered.

21. Elan0204 thread starter macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Some how things have a way of breaking right outside warranty, so one week can be a big difference in repair costs.

Maybe one of the lucky people who got their new iMacs already can call Apple and see what day their warranty started? That should be a pretty good way to settle the matter.

22. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Yeah, I was a bit miffed since it took a month to get my iBook, but that's what the rep. said.

23. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I don't think that "when", or even "if", you register means anything as far as the warranty goes.

several years ago a client bought a new but discontinued model G4 through a local reseller who had "called around" to find the machine. Within a few weeks the CD burner died. AppleCare was called and they said their records showed it had been "sold" many months earlier than when my client had bought it..........My client had registered it right after buying it and that showed up on their records as well even though the recorded "sale" date Apple had was months earlier and not the date that my client had purchased it.

all very confusing potentially!!

but Apple Care said "no problem, just show your receipt from the reseller" and the date on that reciept would be the date they would honor for the start of the warranty.....and that's how it worked out at the authorized service shop

24. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Yes, but the goal of this thread is to find out when the warranty starts for a Mac purchased online.

25. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

m'kay then....so I called the Apple Online store and was told that it starts the day they charge your card

(your receipt from the online store certainly will show a "date of sale")

(oh, and they said they don't charge your card until they ship....even if your order was weeks before shipping)