Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
I'm waiting for the BTS iPod/iPad mini. If it's a 100itunes giftcard I won't buy this year :(

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
I'm waiting for the BTS iPod/iPad mini. If it's a 100itunes giftcard I won't buy this year :(

Sorry, but that is not going to happen. A £70/$100 iTunes gift card is the best we can hope for. They're not going to give you a free £269 iPad Mini on an £816 laptop.

mmberry1

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2012
Yes, I tried it lol. The new MBAs come through at list price and last year's models come through at $100 off.

I just tried the new entry level air and after putting in the promo code they send you it discounted it to $899. I'm going to buy mine in the store though because I want to get apples education discount price matched as well.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Yes, I tried it lol. The new MBAs come through at list price and last year's models come through at $100 off.

hey I just read thru the thread.. I guess we were talking about two different promos. I am using the student discount of $100 that applies to any mac. apparently there is some other promo going on that is only discounting the older macs

dragonjinse

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
I talked with Apple online. She said BTS normally starts early in June. And she told me about 14 days policy. We can return/exchange or get the promotion that is in 14 days after the purchase day.

I think im going to get the cMBP tomorrow!

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
I couldn't wait any longer, and just ordered a MBA 13" i5/8GB/128GB. I'm going on holiday on the 28th of June, and I was quite keen to take the MBA. Delivery estimate is 25-27th of June, so should be fine!

If they announce BTS in the next 14 days, I'm sure I can call Apple and see if I can return/repurchase to get the voucher.

EXCITED!!!

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I couldn't wait any longer, and just ordered a MBA 13" i5/8GB/128GB. I'm going on holiday on the 28th of June, and I was quite keen to take the MBA. Delivery estimate is 25-27th of June, so should be fine!

If they announce BTS in the next 14 days, I'm sure I can call Apple and see if I can return/repurchase to get the voucher.

EXCITED!!!

Congrats! I've ordered my MBA last week as well :)

nariza7

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2013
At most I will wait until the 24th. If I miss the promotion, and it turns out to be an itunes card, I won't mind since I don't use itunes much. I already have too many free apps that work just fine. If it turns out to be something better than an itunes card, then.....

techguy20

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2010
^ Don't forget you can always sell the $100 iTunes card on eBay or elsewhere for $90+.

That's then effectively $90 off your purchase (which could be 5-10% off depending on what you're getting).

citysurfer1

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
best

I think the best would be if they gave you a 200$ gift card on anything in the store excluding computers and iphones. This way I could get a cool case, accessories etc. There is probably about 0% chance this would happen though!

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
This waiting is awful. I wonder why it has started in other countries, but not here.

I know the feeling. I'm dying to order this new MBA and see the improved battery claims for myself. I can feel my willpower getting weaker everyday as I wait for this promotion.

^ Don't forget you can always sell the $100 iTunes card on eBay or elsewhere for $90+.

That's then effectively $90 off your purchase (which could be 5-10% off depending on what you're getting).

I did this with the gift card from last year (got exactly $90 for it) and then used the money to buy a really nice/expensive laptop case. Totally worth it IMO since I didn't really need to buy more apps. However this time around I plan on keeping the gift card as there are a few apps I want to buy.

Last edited:

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
I couldn't wait, and ordered on Monday. Delivery estimate 25-27 June. If it's released within 14 days of that, I'll call Apple and argue that I could theoretically return and repurchase to get the gift card, but to save both of us the trouble, maybe they can just give it to me. Let's hope for the best.

JTgonzo

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
This waiting is awful. I wonder why it has started in other countries, but not here.

I don't believe it has started in other countries. The promotion offered in Australia at the beginning of the year was actually the same promotion offered in the US last summer. Australia will likely get the same promotion in 2014 that we get this summer, if there is one.

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
On the "Buying Tips" subforum, there's a few guys that have chatted to Apple reps online and they've been told that if a BTS promotion was to start within the 14-days return period, they'd likely be given the gift card. That's what I'm hoping.

In the UK, the Back to School promotion last time consisted of a £70 iTunes voucher, and previously, a rebate on an iPod Touch. All-year round, we get 10-15% discounts on Macs (10% on the Mac Mini, 14% on the MBA, not sure about the others), as well as free 3-year hardware warranty if you order online (like AppleCare, but only 1 year of telephone support), which I think is very very good.

Out of curiosity, in the US and other countries, does BTS include an EXTRA discount in addition to the normal student discount?

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
On the "Buying Tips" subforum, there's a few guys that have chatted to Apple reps online and they've been told that if a BTS promotion was to start within the 14-days return period, they'd likely be given the gift card. That's what I'm hoping.

In the UK, the Back to School promotion last time consisted of a £70 iTunes voucher, and previously, a rebate on an iPod Touch. All-year round, we get 10-15% discounts on Macs (10% on the Mac Mini, 14% on the MBA, not sure about the others), as well as free 3-year hardware warranty if you order online (like AppleCare, but only 1 year of telephone support), which I think is very very good.

Out of curiosity, in the US and other countries, does BTS include an EXTRA discount in addition to the normal student discount?

In the US, no additional, just the regular education discount. The extra discount would be the freebie giftcard

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
They are probably waiting for 14 days after release of the air so they dont have to give out the BTS to everyone who bought on launch day.

nariza7

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2013
Safer to wait until 24/25 then. Maybe they are doing their own study to see if many people will still buy a mac air on launch day even without an educational promo.

advancedbasic

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
They are probably waiting for 14 days after release of the air so they dont have to give out the BTS to everyone who bought on launch day.

Not a bad point actually. Apple is the king of getting mobs to buy their new product on launch day haha...

visodus

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
I'm in the market for a MacBook Air. I can save about $100 on Macmall compared to the Apple store due to the lack of sales tax from Macmall (even with the student discount on Apple's site). Is it worth waiting for the Back to School special? Do you think there's a chance that it will be >$100 value?

MeatRocket

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2013
In the Sandbox
I'm in the market for a MacBook Air. I can save about $100 on Macmall compared to the Apple store due to the lack of sales tax from Macmall (even with the student discount on Apple's site). Is it worth waiting for the Back to School special? Do you think there's a chance that it will be >$100 value?

Try bhphotovideo.com as well. If you need Parallels Desktop, B & H can't be beat. Also, their AppleCare plans are $179 instead of the $249 Apple & MacMall charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.