when does wii play come out??

Discussion in 'Games' started by holamiamigos, Feb 11, 2007.

1. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

i see the official nintendo site has it on the 12th, ign has it on the 14th, and best buy has it on the 13th, while gamestop has it nowhere at all.. so wii followers... when will it be available?

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Tuesday

Ed

3. ericsthename macrumors regular

I couldn't help but chuckle:

many people label nintendo as a kiddy-console maker, and since I hadn't heard about this wii play game, I wikipedia'd it. Apparently Nintendo has abandoned the traditional ESRB rating scheme in favour of a more conservative "3+" label slapped on the face of the game.

Nothing says "trans-generational" like being told even your average toddler can beat it :D

That can't be good for the reputation...

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

What makes you say that?

a.) Don't trust Wikipedia, b.) The image I see has a "E for everyone" ESRB badge, c.) I don't think it's possible for them to bypass the ESRB is it?

5. gco212 macrumors 6502

There's no reason they have to go the ESRB. It's not government run or sanctioned, and is completely optional. However, some game shops won't stock games not rated by the ESRB, so it's sort of forced in that manner. Very similar to movie ratings.

6. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Wasn't it released when the Wii was? It was here, because I bought it with my Wii the day after it was released.

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Right. But I don't think they've ever not gotten an ESRB rating for a game before.

Not in the US.

8. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Wiiplay was released with the Wii in the UK and Australia and is due to come out in America any day now. Not that it will stop the games sucking complete a$... oh I'll stop now!

9. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

That seems strange, as it's nothing special.

I completely agree. It's a bit of fun, but mostly useless. The only reason I got it was that it came with a second controller and it was included in the pack I bought.

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Thats the rating from Europe..its from the Pan European Game Information. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEGI

Come on it even says "Pal" on the box, you should know that means its from out of US/Canada, which means the ESRB don't rate it(it will rate it for USA release)

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Why are you all looking forward to it. To say its basic is being really kind to wii play. TBH there's a couple of ok 'mini games' there. You cant call them proper games as they only last 2-3 minutes. But the majority of the stuff on there is pretty much utter crap. :eek: I only got it because it was the same price as the remote control on its own.

12. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

It will be my 4th controller, and for 10 bucks more comes with an assortment of light party games. Worth it when you look at it that way :p

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

True. tbh that's the only way one should look at Wii play.

14. Magnus Reftel macrumors member

Well, that's not what it says. The 3+ rating means that there's nothing in the game that is unsuitable for 3-year-olds. It doesn't mean that a 3-year-old will get anything out of playing it, let alone will be able to beat it.

15. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that. It was a launch title in the UK as well.

Wait. We got something first? *Forwards this information onto Apple* See, there are other countries in the world, silly :apple:

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

They gave us Wii play.

But made us wait 3-5 months for

Excite Truck, Elebits, Trauma Centre.... etc. Not really a fair trade :D

17. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I have a question for those of you who have played Wii Play.

Is the billiards game any good?

It looks like most of the games are basically rubbish, but if the billiards game is any good then I'll probably pick it up for that and the Wiimote. ;)

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No it too has been sucking on the crap ale pipe too :D It's really bad.

19. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Speaking of.. why did they rename elebits for the euro crowd? It must have something to do with those huge plugs you use :p

I don't expect a whole lot out of WiiPlay other than a 4th controller. For $10 maybe ill get a few more party games, but ultimately its a 4th controller im paying for :)

Ed

20. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Well that sucks.

Oh well, I'll probably pick it up anyway for a third Wiimote.

21. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i thought the pool game was quite good to be honest.

All in all wii play isnt brilliant but its still quite fun - duck hunt is the best by a long way, but most are quite good - anyway, its is a add on with a remote - not a game on its own.

I dont think anyone would buy it on its own, but with the remote its a good buy and is good at its purpose - helps people get used to using the controller!

22. ninewhereman macrumors member

The image on Wikipedia is the Euro cover. Clicking the link could have cleared that up for you. Technically games like Madden also have a low level rating. All it means is that it is suitable for people of that age, not necessarily the difficulty level of the game. Especially with a game like Wii Play where you won't be playing the cpu all that often.

23. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Are the physics okay? I don't really care much about graphics, as long as the balls go where they should. ;)

24. Moria macrumors regular

Wii Play is really boring. It really isn't worth spending anymore than £5 on, you'll play the games once then never come back to it. Think of it as a £5 game with a controller.

25. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Well, Wii Sports is a £5 game with a console. ;)