When England had a hot summer in 2003

Discussion in 'Picture Gallery' started by potatoarms, Feb 15, 2006.

1. macrumors member

potatoarms

Here are some pics I thought I would share of Summer/Autumn 2003 - very sunny and hot indeed.

[​IMG]
    Richmond Park, Africa is that or Greater London[:p] 12.07.03

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Field near me 14.07.03 - 33C

[​IMG]
    Flowers in back garden

[​IMG]
    10.08.03 - 100F was reached this day

[​IMG]
    17.09.03 - The poor grass was now suffering

[​IMG]
    16.10.03 - Still sunny

[​IMG]
    07.11.03 - The sunshine helped make beautiful autumn colours Im sure

Thank you

2. macrumors G4

Chundles

33°C to 37°C is hot??? Since when?

33°C is normal for summer, 37°C is "warm."

Gee you Poms are soft.....:D

It's not a hot dry summer unless the grass has died and blown away and most of the trees are dead/dying/on fire. That photo of the footy field that says "the poor grass was now suffering" we'd call the colour of the grass "emerald green." I could say our grass was suffering but that would be a lie - it's long since departed for a better place.

3. macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Ah, but don't forget that over here if we have two consecutive rainless days in July-August we class that as a 'hot dry summer'. :cool:

4. Lau

Yeah, I hold my hand up here. That was the last summer I spent in London, and it was baking. All the shops had run out of electric fans, and we only had one due to our Scottish blood (or soft Pom-ness) meaning we had been overheating earlier in the summer when it was in the mid-20s and had bought one then. When it got to early 30s we were sitting in our pants* with the fan going and spraying water mist into the fan. Ahhhh....

Yeah, I really suck in hot weather. :D

*UK usage

potatoarms - nice photos, I like your stuff. They definitely serve a reminder of why we're moving back to Scotland....:D

5. thread starter macrumors member

potatoarms

Hehe, it is hot when 100F is the hottest your country has ever recorded!

6. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Despite my Scottish blood, I loved the summer of 2003. It was glorious and I hope 2006 is is closer to 03 than last year!

The only bad thing was when I was in central London which since it's not fully air-conditioned wasn't pleasant while shopping/travelling.

But it was glorious coming home from work, throwing on some shorts and a vest (UK usage again) and heading out to the park with a chillbox.

7. macrumors 603

gekko513

Ugh, I suffer when it gets above 24°C.

Nice pictures.

8. macrumors G4

Chundles

Serious??

In other news the main dam that feeds Sydney has hit it's highest level in ooh, five or six years I think. 45%.....

Wanna send some of your rain our way?

9. macrumors Core

Dagless

2003... Ooh yes! That was a nice summer. The only time I remember it getting very hot though was when I was on the train to Hadfield (League of Gentlemen village, if you may) with my girlfriend. The train journey should have taken about 15-20 minutes from her house. only because of the heat the track had shifted or something, so they were using some newer and better track. Problem was there was only 1. So we spent ages getting over the viaducts and all that. Even moving we were chugging along dead slow.
    Took an hour in the end. Was fun there. There was a guy sat behind us saying that Zorra was holding us up. I just laughed inside.

I think it was Summer 2004... THAT was a fun summer! not necessarily hot but it was home to some very mad weather. My entire (literally) family went to Spain and I was looking after the house. First night me and my mates go out for a walk at about... ooh 8pm. Suddenly the sky just darkens making it all look like midnight or something. The heavens just opened! absolute torrential rain. unfortunately my house is up a hill and getting up it... well! It was like swimming uphill! Our road just becomes a river... but it was bloody incredible.
    Few weeks on me, my girlfriend and a random mate head off into town for a bit of shopping. clouds start to gather... stuck in the middle of Oldham with the biggest lightning storm I've ever witnessed. We run out through the storm into the bus shelter and jump on our bus. It stops... 20 minutes later and it starts up again. we were just following it! get off the bus. we SPRINT. Lightning is coming down all around. utterly spectacular! my girlfriends way back, un-chivalrously I kept sprinting ahead. An epic bolt shot over head as I was about to get onto the driveway! I just gasped. Stood still looking with everything silent around. amazing. Anywho. get in. alls good.

Same thing happened in 2005 too. caught out in a thunderstorm heading back from Oldham.

I'll be quiet now :)

10. macrumors 65816

whocares

Bruce: "Blimey, s'hot in here, Bruce."
    Bruce: "S'hot enough to boil a monkey's bum!"
    Bruce: "That's a strange expression, Bruce."
    Bruce: "Well Bruce, I heard the Prime Minister use it. S'hot enough to boil a monkey's bum in 'ere, your Majesty,' he said and she smiled quietly to herself."

:D :D :D

11. macrumors G4

Chundles

Is your name not Bruce then?
    That's going to make it confusing.

Rule 1?

12. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Bruce, it's 34°C right now and it's just not that bad Bruce. I've been in the pool with Bruce though. It's nice in there, isn't it Bruce. :cool:

13. macrumors 604

clayj

"No pooftahs!"

14. macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

wow

It's unfortunate for you folks over seas not to be able to experience a HOT Louisiana summer, where temperatures reach 104F with 100% humidity, so it feels more like 115F. My aunt is from London and she HATES it here in the summers, even May when it doesn't even get hot yet!

15. macrumors G4

Chundles

Not here.

On New Year's Day it didn't feel like 115°F, it WAS 115°F.

16. macrumors 604

clayj

Yeah, but what was the relative humidity? Phoenix, Arizona frequently hits 110ºF or higher in the summer, but the relative humidity stays pretty low... as opposed to Down South (not Down Under), where we frequently get 90ºF+ with 97-100% relative humidity. A lot of people can handle the extra 20 degrees, but not the to-the-max humidity.

As Private Hudson said in Aliens, "Yeah, man, but it's a dry heat!"

17. macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

unfortunately that's not the case in my neck of the woods... I'd rather have AZs 110ºF with >30% relative humidity than my 97ºF with 100% relative humidity... and the bad thing is it gets wet hot in the summer, and WET cold in the winter... In the deep south we have 2 seasons, hot and cold, there's not fall (autumn) or spring... except for the pollen....

its really a unique experience, kinda the same as getting hit in the face with a hot-off-the fire cinder block

18. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

19. macrumors G3

Counterfit

New England summers are bad enough, and we're usually 80-90F, with 80+% humidity. I do not envy you guys in the summer. ;)
    Same goes for the winter too actually. I love snow. I need to move north.

20. macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

Yeh, we see snow like once every 5-8 years... lots of slushy sleet stuff, never solid snow...

21. macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Thats not that hot. Maryland can get up in the late 90s and very, very muggy and sticky outside.

22. macrumors 6502

Great pics, I hope this summer is a good one! :D

23. macrumors 65816

whocares

Yeah, and mine is further North than yours. ;) :rolleyes:

More seriously, I tend to agree with the dry/humid heat thing. I spent a year in Texas (where rules 1, 3, 5 and 7 would probably go down pretty well) and in August we would get 95°F/95% humidity. Hell. Two showers a day minimum. And to make things better, AC in buildings is usually set to about 32°F, so you need a sweater to attend classes. :eek: :p

24. macrumors member

Wow! Those pics of England's hot summer of 2003 are nuts. I'm so used to see a lush, green English countryside year round!

I remember my Grandma came over here for the summer of 2004 and it was about the hottest summer we'd ever had and, being from England, she'd never experienced anything like it.

I don't do well in heat.

25. macrumors 6502a

Hmmm.
    Summer of '03.
    I went to London for a couple of days.
    Let me see - around August 3rd & 4th.
    38 degrees and a little humid IIRC.
    Rather pleasant.