When getting a laptop backpack should i?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mood, Jul 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mood macrumors regular

Mood

When i get a laptop backpack, i wanted to get a sling style shoulder back pack.

I was wondering whenyou're in college, will i need a backpack taht carries a lot of textbooks (or even 1 or two textbooks) when i go to class?

I don't want to get a messenger style laptop bag, but more of a backpack kinda thing. The Tom Bhine Buzz backpack looks nice, but its really small and i dunno if it'd hold many of my essentials. Thanks.

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I guess it depends on a few things.

When I lived in the dorms on campus, I went back to my room between any classes that had a break, so I only had to carry maybe two classes' books at a time. When I moved off campus, however, I didn't want to back to my car, much less my apartment, to get books, so I carried them all for the day.

Some classes need a book, others need multiple books, and some don't even have a book. So it depends on what kind of classes you are taking, too.

If I were still in school, I'd want a pack that had room for probably two textbooks (about 1000-1500 pages total for both) in addition to the space for the notebook.

3. Zukatah macrumors newbie

What I decided to do was to get a regular backpack but it has this nice section in the back, like a separate pocket which allows me to stuff the laptop there. I bought a sleeve from Shinza to protect the laptop in case something bad happens, we never know but I think that's more intelligent than buying those bags that are screaming "Hey look, I have an expensive piece of hardware in there!". That way I have the piece of mind, a good protection for my laptop and the convienience of using a "regular" backpack. At the undergraduate level in political science, I sometimes had to carry around two big textbooks along with a couple of books when I went to the library to get some documentation. Your experience might be different of mine but I hope you don't try to "save" too much on a good backpack, it'll last you a couple of years and it'll be more comfortable than cheap ones!

4. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

Agreed

My Alley is on the way as we speak

5. wide macrumors 6502a

is it safe to carry an ibook to school (walking, bus, or subway) in my backpack if i put it in a skin? i have quite a few textbooks to bring every day, but i could fit an ibook in my pack. i usually need at least 2500 cubic inches for textbooks alone. there any large backpacks that have a section for laptops??

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

You are all such good students. Some of my teachers asked us to bring our books to every lecture... some of my teachers would specify which lecture was imperative to bring our text to. Other teachers don't ever mention anything about the text other than to read it. Whatever the case, I never brought a textbook to class. Besides, inevitably, if I direly needed the book (probably happened once) the person next to me kindly allowed me to "share" the textbook. ;)

7. sheaitisnotso macrumors regular

I got this timbuk2 bag which is specially made for laptops. I was buying the bag for my iBook but then decided to hold off on the iBook until the updates, so needless to say i have a great laptop bag but no laptop. The bag is very nice and has much room for other texbooks, notebooks, etc. for school (I just graduated so i don't need it for school :D ) I've already used it on a couple trips and it holds up great. If you're still looking for one for school, i would recommend this.

8. sheaitisnotso macrumors regular

9. JonMaker macrumors regular

Does anyone have experience with Tom Bihn brain cells? I'm thinking one of those plus a dumpy old backpack (or an oldschool Dell bag) would serve as the ultimate blend of protection and subterfuge. :cool:

10. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

In my experience as an undergrad student at the University of Florida, I'd say definitely go with a regular two-strap book bag since you will mostly be walking/riding a bike. I almost never had to bring books to lecture and if I did/wanted to it was usually only 1 and a few spiral bound notebooks. This year i just bought a bookbag with a laptop case to lug around my ibook while riding my bike. Id recommend a bag from l.l.bean very highly and they feature several new models with just this use in mind. Ive never had a single problem with a bag from llbean and for some reason if they do break or if you even get tired of it or if it doesnt live up to your expextations you can return it at any time - ive returned one 5 years later!

11. Mood thread starter macrumors regular

Mood

i DONT want this type of bag: [​IMG]

i want a bag that slings over the back kinda like what a bicycle mailman uses: [​IMG]

do the bags in the 1st picture do the same thing as the bags in the 2nd picture (just a matter of how yhou want to wear it?)

also if you run around with the bag slung around your back, does the bag move around a lot?

(the tom bihn buzz slings around for example)

like the timbuk2 messenger bags or the stm bags (or crumpler)

12. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

My feeling is : don't get a backpack that advertises to the world that there is a laptop inside. get a really good padded sleeve and a regular backpack
    or try http://mac-case.com/MacCase Slings.htm for something really different. :rolleyes:
    student laptops are one of the easiest things to steal and fence
    there was a pro ring of three middle aged people who preyed on students on campus and student cafe's , in less than three weeks they were responsible for over 150 ibook and powerbook thefts... none of the laptops were returned nor found , my iBook was one of them :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.