When God deposits money in your bank account

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Ya gotta love this one. This is from a financial help column in my local paper:

I don't know whether to be upset with that woman's pure nerve, or get down on my knees and ask Jesus for some cash for myself. (Apparently you gotta spend it faster than she did, though.) ;)

2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Maybe pray that she ends up as a Citi Bank identity theft victim commercial. ;) Those commercials always crack me up. I think the best one to date is that one of that lady sitting in a styling salon with her feet in a soaking tub. "...and $20,000 for my robot, my GIRL robot..."

3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

simple

she's a lunatic. its not her money. they don't have to do a damn thing. leave it to the bank and the police.

4. Awimoway macrumors 65816

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

hahaha

crazy bitch...

i have little doubt she'll persue it. probably claim that god wanted her to have the money more than them, so we should respect god's wishes. unbelievable.

paul

6. Mantat macrumors 6502a

My friend recieved 620$ in his bank account for ne reason.

He never told the bank and never heard about it. At that time, he was a poor student and that money helped him fix his car 2 weeks later, so I guess fate as a way to correct itself overtime!

7. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Craziness... it's amazing what some people will do for money. If this lady is as religious as she claims, she ain't readin' her Bible enough... :rolleyes:

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

There was a lady in the news recently who had made several trips to a car dealership claiming Jesus told her she was to recieve a free car.
    Someone ought to tell the story of Abraham to Judge Travers though...

9. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

Blessed be the name of the Lord!

The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away… :p

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

well it seems God wants everyone to have bling now. Seems more practical to me to, say, make a Maybach drop from the sky, or cash to erupt in your yard. Would clear up the issue of prior ownership, anyway.

Tho, if I had $80,000 from nowhere, and then had to give it up again, I'd probably make up some desparate **** too. But the car thing... i really *hope* she's crazy...

paul

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I wonder if this stuff only happens in the US....the media is a little biased, but I'd love to know if anyone else from other counties in Europe, South America, Africa, the Middle East and Asia (Buddha told me the money was mine to take....) has heard similar 'voices'....

D

12. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I doubt Buddha would be telling anyone anything about money. He surely didn't seem like a big fan.

As far as that other case, the one in Mount Vernon w/the car. Am I the only one who finds it just a little bit troubling that the judge would even entertain this religious argument to the degree of rejecting it on the basis of some sort of religious logic. There shouldn't be any argument about whether God would or would not do this or that or whether the scriptures say anything about anything. None of it is admissable in court and none of it should be considered. It's bad procedure to rationalize one's decision based on an argument of scripture. That scripture does not hold weight in our court system. Even if the scripture told you to do something that was morally wrong, I don't think that's convincing enough for the courts to allow the person to do it.

On the other hand, I agree with the Judge in the sense that 2000+ year old documents tend not to talk about car dealerships.

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

well you'll recall that the Christian God wasn't too fond of money in general, that whole eye-of-the-needle thing, but if Christians were in dire need of money, he did condone prostitution (Isaiah 23:17-18)... So really, she should have been putting on the red light, not claiming bank funds... tsk.

paul

14. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Sorry, Paul, but that's not even close to what the Bible is saying in that verse. Tyre and Sidon were meccas of sin and perversion, but God was saying that even the profit that Tyre earned from prostitution would go to His people, as a sign that Tyre would be destroyed and it's evil ended.

As far as God giving out money, well, it's never happened like that and no one in their right mind should be claiming that God "told them that they would recieve a free car" or anything like that. Dunno if it'll show up on the mental exams though, it's a different type of crazy like those suicide cults and the like.

JW

15. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

As far as the $80,000, the people who it belongs to have no problem now. Their bank credited them the full amount, and it's up to them to deal with the crazy woman...

16. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Thing is, I'm sure they're still ticked off with the bank for revealing their name and phone number to the crazy woman. That's not supposed to happen. If this woman keeps harrassing the couple, they could have a serious case to sue the bank and the woman for violating their privacy.

17. Apple //e macrumors 6502

prayer

god, please protect me from your followers

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So how are we ever going to know if someone is telling the truth when God talks to them? I mean we, or at least those of us who are believers, have to assume God does talk to people, and sometimes commands them to do things. Sometimes those things may be unpleasant or illegal. How would it look today if the cops walked in on someone who had been ordered to sacrifice their kid? Yet that is a major story of a test of faith in the Bible. What would you think of your neighbor if he/she started building a large boat in thier yard and told you it was for two of every creature on the planet? I know the Lord swore not to do that again, but pretend for a minute. We look at all the people we consider crazy who talk about having conversations with God, but would we ever actually believe someone? Would we kill someone who told us he was our Lord if he showed up on earth here?

I had a couple conversations with a guy who used to hang out in downtown Santa Cruz years ago, he carried around a telephone that he said had a direct link to God. Most of me says he's crazy but I always wonder, what if he did? He never let me make a call on his phone so I could find out though...

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Could have been those aliens that visit Earth every decade or so and take their faithful followers (only those that donate all their worldly possessions to the leaders) to a better world.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

We love the leader...

The leader is good
    The leader is great
    We surrender our will
    As of this date.
    ;)

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

"What's a cubit?" Bill Cosby as Noah

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The bank made a terrible mistake, but they compounded the mistake by giving out personal information of Geneva on the lake. There are always people that use religion in the wrong way. It should not be an indictment of religion in general.

23. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Well, I don't know how you'd tell, but I can tell you this: if God tells somebody that they're entitled to anything of mine, He'd better tell me about it first. God I'd believe, but people, I don't.

Imagine all the trouble that could have been saved if God had just taken a spare moment to mention that lady's free car to the dealership, much time and travail for the lady, the dealership, the police, and the courts could have all been avoided. :D

24. fonch macrumors newbie

God and prostitution

Just to let you know, in those verses God is sending a curse on an enemy of Israel, that she will return to the prostitute she is. God's not for prostitution, and I don't for one second buy that he's for free cars and money from heaven, either.

25. AngryLawnGnome macrumors regular

I bet she didn't get that money from God, but from some sort of accident.