When I Erase Free Space in Disk Utility, my Mac screams about hard drive space?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BurtonCCC, May 1, 2006.

1. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

May 2, 2005
    Wheaton/Normal, IL
    I'm trying to write zeros over all the free space on my PB hard drive, even though I really have no reason to, aside from the government hacking and bootleg thousand-dollar programs... kidding.

But after a while, my Mac tells me that I'm running dangerously low on hard drive space. Sure enough, my free space has gone from 29GB to about 34MB. I then stopped the operation and got all my free space, but my question was, would it be a good idea for me to just leave the computer alone to complete this task?

I just don't want to come back and find my computer has some sort of damage because the hard drive filled up... one week before finals. Some things you might want to know are that I'm doing to full-out 35-time zero operation. Any explanation of why the hard drive fills up when I run this task would be appreciated as well.

2. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

Nov 20, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    I don't have an answer to your question, but I'm just going to say that using that 35 time zero out for absolutely no reason is an awefull lot of wear to put on a hard drive. Why mess around with it when you don't need to?