When i login, it freezes at my background

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by psalesses, May 10, 2005.

1. psalesses macrumors newbie

May 10, 2005
    Here's my deal

I did a clean install of tiger, reinstalled everything I had. I put all my music files into my music folder... moved my music folder outside my home folder.

i turned ON filevault (because I'm an idiot)... then was using that for a day or two but would notice that when I would unzip thhings to my desktop, it would unzip to a folder but it would say there were 0 files in that folder. So i reinstalled a clean copy of stuffit expander... realized the problem was probably with file vault, so i turned OFF file vault... and it said decrypting files for about 3 minutes... then said it finished, and the screen closed and it went back to my desktop like it was going to open finder... but finder never opened... it just sat there... so i hit ctrl + apple + power button to restart... i login, and it just sits at my background screen. it's completely unresponsive except for the volume and screen dimmer buttons. I also tried safe boot. nothing helped... any ideas?
  2. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    Hit Command (the apple key) + option + ESC. This is the Force quite key command. Hopefully the Finder is in the Force Quit box that comes up, and you can choose it and hit Relaunch, and the Finder should come up. I would back up anything you need after that, and reboot and see if it still hangs after login. If it still hangs, take a look over at macosxhints.com and look for file vault and hanging login.

Note: Filevault is still a little buggy, and should only be used if you have very sensitive info, and should also not be mixed with a personal use. In other words, if this is not your work machine, then don't use it.