when i plug in speakers or headphones into the outjack NOTHING COMES OUT!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by no6surprises, Oct 2, 2006.

1. no6surprises macrumors newbie

Jun 11, 2006
  2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    Plug em into your headphones jack.

EDIT: I bet that confused you didnt it? I just looked on my G5. The outjack is the headphones jack I was thinking you had plugged into the 'injack' below, which obviously wouldnt work. My bad!

Shall i stand in the corner and think about what I have done or can i go?
  3. no6surprises thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 11, 2006

haha it's alright you may leave.
    but yeah headphone jack...that's what i meant...no sound but my computer speakers work just fine.
  4. twoodcc macrumors P6

Feb 3, 2005
    Right side of wrong
    you don't happen to have the leopard preview installed do you? i thought i read that this is the case with it installed on a macbook
  5. no6surprises thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 11, 2006
    nope none of that.

it's just they worked last night fine, and now in the morning what? it just decides to quit?
  6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Dec 12, 2002
    Try adjusting the volume with headphones in.

Try adjusting the volume AFTER plugging in the headphones. OS X keeps track of volume from internal speakers separately from plugged-in speakers. So if you happened to have turned it way down the last time you had headphones plugged in, then even if you had the volume on maximum the instant before plugging in your headphones, the headphones would be muted. (This is precisely to prevent you from accidentally plugging headphones in with the volume on maximum.)

For example, my 'standard' volume setting is 3/4 for internal speakers, 1/2 for headphones. If my volume is at 3/4, then the moment I plug in headphones, it drops to 1/2. The moment I unplug the headphones, it jumps back to 3/4. If I adjust the volume while the headphones are plugged in, it will still go to 3/4 when I unplug the headphones. (Which can make for a rude surprise if I had volume on max for some reason, and was listening on headphones at near minimum. When I unplug the headphones, it gets LOUD, quick.)

It doesn't even respect 'mute' across the two. (So if you had it muted with headphones plugged in, but not on internal speakers, then when you unplug the headphones, you'll get your sound blaring out.)
  7. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2003
    Open GarageBand and then close it again..See if that werks :eek: