when i upgrade to leopard, will i need more memory??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mith, Dec 13, 2006.

1. mith macrumors regular

whenever leopard come out , i'll for-sure get it, i got 2gb ram on intel core 2 duo iMac, just wondering more advanced operating system then the current one(tiger), would need for ram??? or no? i mean since even the apps will support 64 bit-arictecture, will be need more ram then 2gb for it to function smoothly and than some??/

2. NicP macrumors 6502

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You might need less, as the operating system may be more efficient for Intel-based machines than it has been. Experience has shown that the PowerPC version has become a bit faster with each release, sometimes, even with the minor releases. Hopefully, this will be similar for the Intel hardware, but happen more quickly.

Except for those PowerPC applications which must be emulated via Rosetta, you shouldn't really need 2 GB but it would certainly help with anything using a lot of 3D graphics.

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

In all the yrs of using computers, I have never seen ram requirements go down, especially for the OS itself. Sometimes it stays the same, but 99.99% of the time, it does go up!

Back when 10.0 & 10.1 came out, 128mb was ok, but 256 really shined.....
    Look at where we are now w/ 10.4: 512 is bare minimum, 1Gb is ok, but 1.5 - 2GB does much better, at least on PPC machines.

With the advent of the Intel/Rosetta/Bootcamp/Parallels scenario.....2GB is about the minimum.

More efficient or not, Leopard will undoubtedly run on 1.5-2GB, but more will be much better all around.........

And as for heavy 3D graphics (starting w/ the gui & eyecandy) which are being offloaded more & more to the GPU, then the best remedy there is a more powerful video card :)