when i wake/open my macbook, i always get this "trash" sounds

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mac000, Nov 10, 2006.

1. mac000 macrumors 6502a

what is this, i simply cannot figure it out. whenever i open/wake my macbook - the laptop makes this sound as if something was just dragged to the trash.

im thinking its the airport notification but i dont know what or how to turn it off, ANYONE KNOW?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Is it coming from the speakers or is it from inside the MacBook? PowerBooks and MBPs make a sound that I suppose sounds a bit like the trash rustle when they are opened. It's the optical drive checking to see if there's a disc present...I presume MacBooks make a similar sound. Could this be it?

3. mac000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

im pretty sure its the speakers, i just turned off the speakers and tried it i didt hear anything, maybe it should have slept longer? idk

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Aha! Found what I was looking for. Woohoo for searching! :D

For me, I get the optical drive noise which I consider normal (so no problem there) and then the fans kick on. The thing I'm posting about is the strange "woosh" noise a few seconds after the screen turns on. It sounds sorta like a drum roll, a "woosh", or a slurping noise, and it goes away after 2-3 seconds or so.. It goes when the speakers are muted/unmuted and when it's plugged/unplugged. It doesn't bother me (it actually sounds kinda cool), but I was just curious as to why it does that.

6. PDE macrumors 68020

I had that happen for a while on my 17" MBP too, but it went away and I have no idea what it was. Definitely from the speaker though...

7. dancertom3 macrumors member

yeah! i got the "whoosh" too!! it happened like 3 times while i was transferring my music into my itunes library (brand new mbp 15" today).

when i first heard it i thought i was hearing things! but then the second and third times i knew it was something!

now im glad that it's normal!!!

8. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

yea that noise is kinda hard to describe... i get it too

9. djscouserboy macrumors newbie

Me too ! I was actually thinking of asking a Genius next time I was in the Apple Store if it could be anything 'wrong' with the Macbook.

10. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I get the sound too sometimes waking my MB from sleep. It's kind of sounds like static or something like that...

I don't care, as long as nothing is wrong. Would be nice to know why it makes the sound though-

11. yod9999 macrumors newbie

exactly the same as i get. i thought i was going mad the first few times it happended

ditto

12. redmeister macrumors 6502

haha yea i was thinking you meant the optical drive noise it always does that on mine when it awakens

but i wouldnt worry about everything too much it sounds normal to me, as i get sounds too, and so do others in this thread

13. ModestPenguin macrumors 6502

ModestPenguin

It isnt a big deal, but I have it too, I notice it quite often, it is very strange. not sure how to describe it...

14. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Probably a cackle of static as the chinese electronics in the sound board powers up :)

15. redmeister macrumors 6502

i think there is a small animal in my macbook eating things and when i turn it on or wake it up, it electrocutes him

16. turbobass macrumors 6502

I have a sound that is the first bongo drum in a bongo drum loop that plays every 10-15 seconds. Sometimes the whole little loop plays a little bongo solo. I'd say I was losing my mind but I've had others verify it. It's definitely coming out of speakers / headphones. no idea what it is.

17. Narse77 macrumors regular

Narse77

Holly thread resurrection Batman! This thread is over four years old!