when i wake/open my macbook, i always get this "trash" sounds

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mac000, Nov 10, 2006.

1. mac000 macrumors 6502a

Sep 6, 2005
    what is this, i simply cannot figure it out. whenever i open/wake my macbook - the laptop makes this sound as if something was just dragged to the trash.

im thinking its the airport notification but i dont know what or how to turn it off, ANYONE KNOW?
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Is it coming from the speakers or is it from inside the MacBook? PowerBooks and MBPs make a sound that I suppose sounds a bit like the trash rustle when they are opened. It's the optical drive checking to see if there's a disc present...I presume MacBooks make a similar sound. Could this be it?
  3. mac000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 6, 2005

im pretty sure its the speakers, i just turned off the speakers and tried it i didt hear anything, maybe it should have slept longer? idk
  4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
  5. zephead macrumors 68000

Apr 27, 2006
    in your pants
    Aha! Found what I was looking for. Woohoo for searching! :D

For me, I get the optical drive noise which I consider normal (so no problem there) and then the fans kick on. The thing I'm posting about is the strange "woosh" noise a few seconds after the screen turns on. It sounds sorta like a drum roll, a "woosh", or a slurping noise, and it goes away after 2-3 seconds or so.. It goes when the speakers are muted/unmuted and when it's plugged/unplugged. It doesn't bother me (it actually sounds kinda cool), but I was just curious as to why it does that.
  6. PDE macrumors 68020

Nov 16, 2005
    I had that happen for a while on my 17" MBP too, but it went away and I have no idea what it was. Definitely from the speaker though...
  7. dancertom3 macrumors member

Jan 8, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    yeah! i got the "whoosh" too!! it happened like 3 times while i was transferring my music into my itunes library (brand new mbp 15" today).

when i first heard it i thought i was hearing things! but then the second and third times i knew it was something!

now im glad that it's normal!!!
  8. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2006
    yea that noise is kinda hard to describe... i get it too
  9. djscouserboy macrumors newbie

Oct 9, 2006
    Me too ! I was actually thinking of asking a Genius next time I was in the Apple Store if it could be anything 'wrong' with the Macbook.
  10. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Dec 17, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I get the sound too sometimes waking my MB from sleep. It's kind of sounds like static or something like that...

I don't care, as long as nothing is wrong. Would be nice to know why it makes the sound though-
  11. yod9999 macrumors newbie

Jan 6, 2007
    exactly the same as i get. i thought i was going mad the first few times it happended

12. redmeister macrumors 6502

Jan 26, 2007
    haha yea i was thinking you meant the optical drive noise it always does that on mine when it awakens

but i wouldnt worry about everything too much it sounds normal to me, as i get sounds too, and so do others in this thread
  13. ModestPenguin macrumors 6502

Mar 5, 2006
    It isnt a big deal, but I have it too, I notice it quite often, it is very strange. not sure how to describe it...
  14. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    Probably a cackle of static as the chinese electronics in the sound board powers up :)
  15. redmeister macrumors 6502

Jan 26, 2007
    i think there is a small animal in my macbook eating things and when i turn it on or wake it up, it electrocutes him
  16. turbobass macrumors 6502

May 25, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I have a sound that is the first bongo drum in a bongo drum loop that plays every 10-15 seconds. Sometimes the whole little loop plays a little bongo solo. I'd say I was losing my mind but I've had others verify it. It's definitely coming out of speakers / headphones. no idea what it is.
  17. Narse77 macrumors regular

Jun 24, 2010
    Holly thread resurrection Batman! This thread is over four years old!