When importing CDs using iTunes

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by passthejonch, Sep 13, 2003.

1. passthejonch macrumors member

where does the computer get the CD information from...... when it fills out the artist name and album name

I bought the new John Mayer album and after it queried the database it said the artist was "John Meyer" and one of the songs were mispelled "Com back to bed"

2. chadfromdallas macrumors member

Contacted a database and downloaded it probably, like Windows media player does.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

it queries the CDDB, you can submit information or corrections via iTunes or the CDDB website. You can also disable this in iTunes.

pnw

4. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

a few cds have all the track names already assigned to the cd and each track (cd text)

any body know how iTunes deals with CD Text enabled cds? in these scenarios, will it go via cddb or the cd text info?

5. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I think in iTunes 4.1 or 5, Apple should get iTunes to automatically search a database for the cover art. Synergy does this, why can't Apple?

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

because apple would have to work out an agreement with the labels for cover art, on songs they don't have licenses to. They can't just write a quick script to pull cover art off of Amazon, there are official channels this stuff needs to go through. i wish it did it too, tho...

i should imagine that the latest version of iTunes uses the CD Text first, supplementing with the CDDB info perhaps. Don't really know for sure.

pnw

7. legion macrumors 6502a

Odd, WMP9 gets the cover art and stores two images (hidden) with each album (a small one to be used as a folder icon in folders denoted as music folders and a larger hi-res one to be viewed from the player.) It tends to use one of two CDDBs, Muze or AMG, and all the data stays on your local computer (so you don't have to be actively connected to view cover art)

I've always liked that since I'm more of a visual memory guy than a text memory guy (I can find the songs I like faster by looking at the CD covers.)

(edited for grammar and syntax)

8. evil macrumors 6502

while i think this is an excellent feature the reliability of cddb is questionable. i often have to go in and fix things by hand..er mouse.
    yeah i am that lame.